Gransnet forums

AIBU

Books by celebrities

(79 Posts)
geekesse Wed 24-Mar-21 11:28:55

The majority of celeb books are written by ghost writers. They sell, and are therefore worth publishing, because of the bizarre attraction many people feel for celebrities.

Publishers always want to publish books that will make a profit. It’s a sad fact that most people would rather buy a mediocre book by someone whose name they recognise than a brilliant one by someone whose name they do not recognise.

Jill Paton Walsh, who was known only as a children’s writer, couldn’t find a publisher for her third adult novel, ‘Knowledge of Angels’, because the previous two did not sell well, so she ended up self-publishing. It was shortlisted for the 1994 Man Booker prize, and is still in print today.

Perhaps your friend’s daughter might consider self-publishing?

timetogo2016 Wed 24-Mar-21 11:27:58

It`s because they know so called celebs books will sell,even the likes of Katie Price.
I hope your friends dd gets the break she deserves.

Penygirl Wed 24-Mar-21 11:18:25

I agree, it seems that once you become a celebrity there is no end to your “talents” yet people with a particular flair for one thing can’t get a look in. I hope you friend’s daughter has success soon.

Beswitched Wed 24-Mar-21 11:11:53

My friend's daughter is a very talented writer. She has written a Children's book and has had a few requests for the full script from agents. However it never gets further than that. She accepts she's lucky to even get that far and rejection is part of being a writer. She can't help feeling bitter, however, when she sees celeb after celeb publishing mediocre books and getting loads of publicity.

I find it depressing as well. There are so many good children's writers out there but you have to wade through so much dross to find them in bookshops.