Gransnet forums

AIBU

Blocked drive gggrrr

(49 Posts)
ninathenana Thu 01-Apr-21 10:55:07

Just looked out and realized Open Reach have a big hole with barriers which is completely blocking the pavement at the end of my drive. AIBU to think they should have knocked and asked if I wanted to move my car ? I am now trapped.

ExaltedWombat Fri 02-Apr-21 11:57:32

So your car wasn't actually blocked in, you could get out 'with a bit of tricky manoeuvring'. Do the manoeuvre, live and let live.

annodomini Fri 02-Apr-21 11:59:21

For 20 years, I've lived in an end-terrace house with enough space for me to drive through and park at the back. I have a dropped kerb which has been blocked on mercifully few occasions by thoughtless drivers. If my neighbours are desperate to load or unload their car, I willingly give them permission to block my access temporarily. They only have to ask. On a couple of occasions, I have informed the police that my access has been blocked and they have come up, photographed the offender's car and left a notice on their windscreen. At other times, I've left a note under their wiper, to let them know they have parked illegally. No-one has ever - yet - dug a hole that prevents my access!

bear1 Fri 02-Apr-21 12:04:52

before digging up roads etc contractor and utilities have to inform local authorities to get a licence to proceed and you should of been informed that they would be doing work over the entrance to your property and access at all times given to you by covering over any hole if they are not working on it, inform the council as they would be able to stop the work if no licence also make sure they reinstate your dropped kerb and entrance as it was before

Mealybug Fri 02-Apr-21 12:16:14

Shandy57 my neighbours on one side are like that. I have carers visit husband 3 times a day and they usually park on the drive. Last week one of them was parked at the top not blocking her in but she couldn't get out because she's a hopeless driver. She knocked on and told me to tell them to stop parking there then the next day she put two dustbins at the top of my drive, so carers, ambulance etc couldn't get in. She's in a world of her own only thinking about herself.

mokryna Fri 02-Apr-21 12:16:24

Put it on their web page so everyone can see how they treat others.

Auntieflo Fri 02-Apr-21 12:21:20

ExaltedWombat, live and let live is fine, if you have reasonable neighbours, that do not mind you manoeuvring on their drive.
We have a neighbour, who lives diagonally opposite to us, who is , to put it politely, just not neighbourly.
He has bought a car that he parks permanently outside his house, so that no one else can use that bit of road. It just sits there, day and night, and has never been moved since he bought it. Yes, it is taxed!
We have a fairly large brick drive, and it is often used as a turning place. ?

Sr69 Fri 02-Apr-21 12:22:26

Pleased Madeleine 45 isn’t my neighbour!!!

Natasha76 Fri 02-Apr-21 12:41:35

They sometimes have big metal sheets on board that they can lay over the hole to give you access or at least arrange for some to be delivered that can go on top to get you off your drive.
Sounds like a letter went astray but seems a bit mad not to at least knock, unless you were out on foot and they have an emergency to deal with.

Loz500 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:25:06

No you definitely are NOT being unreasonable. Out of courtesy they should have told you, and I would ask them to sort something as you need to get your car out for an appointment. There are places open today, I went for an eye test earlier!! ?

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:58:18

No, you are not being unreasonable. It's common sense before partially or totally blocking someone's drive to let the person whose drive it is know so they can get their car out.

H1954 Fri 02-Apr-21 14:10:09

We have ample off-road parking and could easily accommodate an extra vehicle if necessary. There's a lamp post very close to our driveway that attracts a great many pigeons...............a great deterant to people blocking our drive......no one likes cleaning bird poo off their car roof and believe me, these birds poo for England ???

H1954 Fri 02-Apr-21 14:12:36

No actually, they should have informed you prior to the work commencing AND again on their arrival. As someone has already stated, they should have a metal sheet to cover the hole thus allowing you to get out. I'd be tempted to stall it across the hold, pretend it won't restart and let the ignorant buggers sweat for a while.

Mollygo Fri 02-Apr-21 14:13:29

We’ve had this problem with Virgin quite a few times recently. They don’t let us know, but if I mention that I need to get out, or need to get back in, they just but boards/metal sheets down. They are always polite.

MamaCaz Fri 02-Apr-21 14:24:20

I would be just as furious if someone blocked our exit like that. It's a matter of common courtesy!

However I can't really give 100% support the "suppose an ambulance/fire engine was needed" argument, simply because huge number of properties have no driveway or even a guaranteed parking space close by, and no one makes a fuss about that. What if they need an ambulance or fire engine?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 02-Apr-21 14:46:24

My neighbour, a cantankerous old man, use to make a habit of parking about half way over my drive... Never knew why. I got fed up asking him to move it or not do it but he use to get abusive. So one day I called the police as I needed to out, the policewoman asked me why I didn't just ask him to move it. My reply was you go and ask him and then you will see why I don't. Sure enough he was raging at them and shouting, calling them names etc. They threatened to arrest him if he didn't stop being abusive., anyway they saw why I didn't ask and he never did it again.

sharon103 Fri 02-Apr-21 15:12:32

I would have expected a notice in advance of the work and a knock on the door on the day.

4allweknow Fri 02-Apr-21 15:21:23

It's classed as a utility so can dig where necessary. Usually written contact is made in a locality warning of possible disruption. Are they going to being blocking your drive for a while? If so they should have made contact to explain and give you opportunity to move your car.

Shelmiss Fri 02-Apr-21 15:22:01

To be fair we’ve had this a few times recently over our driveway, no they didn’t let us know, but they’ve been very quick doing the work that needed doing and were usually were gone before we knew it

Nanananana1 Fri 02-Apr-21 15:30:03

I think I am right n thinking that one has a LEGAL right to drive a car OFF your own driveway (so anyone parking/blocking can be reported or towed away) but not to ENTER your own driveway. I suppose this is in case of an emergency
Inform the Police and tell them it is absolutely necessary that you need to leave your premises

GagaJo Fri 02-Apr-21 15:39:18

Virgin did this to my drive a few months ago. AND had crash barriers up, supposedly on the side of the road, but they had blow into the road, effectively blocking it in several areas.

I found them on social media and bombarded them with complaints. They asked for evidence, so I sent them photographs which resulted in my being given an email address. I emailed the address and within 24 hours, the hole was filled and the crash barriers were gone.

Harmonypuss Fri 02-Apr-21 19:25:39

Anyone blocking your driveway whilst your vehicle is on it is committing an offence because they are "preventing access to the highway" but if your car isn't in the drive and they then block it, they're not preventing you from accessing the highway, blocking access to your driveway would be a civil matter and they would most definitely have moved by the time you thought about taking them to court over it, so there's not really anything you can do in that scenario but wait for them to move.

Riggie Fri 02-Apr-21 19:37:11

I wont say any major works in the street (gas, cable, resurfacing , new strret lights) is easy but once workmen realise there is a wheelchair user in our house they have always been very helpful at moving barriers and even letting me drive up to the house when the road had been closed (when it was safe to do so). I think how you approach them is key!

Naninka Sat 03-Apr-21 10:23:47

Two wrongs don't make a right. Don't block them in. You will no doubt be the one to end up with egg on your face.

A polite word or take photos and complain.

Although don't expect compensation money - with BT it's literally like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Good luck!