Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC overkill on reporting proposed european super league

(115 Posts)
EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 13:24:08

I'm a regular listener to Radio 4's 5pm, the 6pm News and the World Tonight at 10pm. Yesterday, the lead news item on all 3 was the proposed european superleague for football. Each program had lengthy discussions on the subject. And the same today so far.
Is there really nothing more important or interesting going on in the country and the world than this?! Past surveys I've seen show that the majority of us just aren't interested in football. So why? Any answers anyone?

AGAA4 Tue 20-Apr-21 16:00:21

Money. That is all this is about. Football used to be a game for the poor and has been hijacked by the super rich. They aren't interested in football just how much money they can make out of it.
I have sympathy with the managers and players who don't want this to happen

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 16:23:49

EkwaNimitee out of interest, what was your expectation for headline news?

Shinamae Tue 20-Apr-21 16:34:16

AGAA4

Money. That is all this is about. Football used to be a game for the poor and has been hijacked by the super rich. They aren't interested in football just how much money they can make out of it.
I have sympathy with the managers and players who don't want this to happen

I totally agree Agaa4...????????

vegansrock Tue 20-Apr-21 16:48:33

So Johnson is thinking of bringing in legislation to stop it - can’t be because he is seeking popularity is it? We’ve allowed football clubs to be bought and sold by foreign oligarchs, sheikhs and the like - no legislation to stop that. I can't help but think that there are issues that have been waiting for years for legislative attention and should be prioritised over football. The state of the housing market, sexual crime reform, women's rights, child poverty, Brexit impact on Northern Ireland and small businesses, the environment and the dire state of Britain’s waterways..........

Galaxy Tue 20-Apr-21 17:00:29

It's a good move politically (I loathe him but he always has his eyes on the main chance), it would be very popular if he was able to stop it.

J52 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:04:00

Well it keeps the Indian coronavirus variant off the top slot. So no explanation for the delay in adding India to the red list.

Grammaretto Tue 20-Apr-21 17:15:41

I don't think you ABU at all EkwaNimitee however important it may be to some, this should not be having the coverage it has been getting.

Sarnia Tue 20-Apr-21 17:33:57

We are all different. I would have been surprised had the majority of GN's been avid football fans. It doesn't mean that nobody should post anything about football, surely. There are several posts that I am not interested in or that do not apply to me, so I pass them by but they may be just the ticket for others. This proposed Super League will have serious repercussions for thousands of people employed by football clubs throughout the country likely resulting in job losses and clubs closing their doors. Football is a part of our rich history and many people feel very strongly about the new proposal ignoring that fact. It is news and needs to be reported.

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 17:57:22

It is just all about money. If no one pays to watch these matches then it will all fold.
Real fans can form alliances to the other smaller clubs and support football that way.

pinkquartz Tue 20-Apr-21 18:12:56

There is not much real understanding of football here. Often the clubs formed in traditional workplaces like foundries and factories. Football was a healthy pastime to let off steam and get healthy exercise for those who do not have money to spare.

It was a working class game that grew fan bases from local communities and was often a family outing to "the match"

I did think a huge mistake was made when they allowed foreign wealthy men to buy clubs. Especially from countries where football is nothing to do with their indiginous culture. Bescause they do not "get it" I am thinking of Arab states and the USA.

If a small group of super wealthy, and greedy men want to destroy this culture so they can be even more wealthy it is important because it is also a sign of much worse to come.

Only want the rich want is important. The rest is superflous.

Loislovesstewie Tue 20-Apr-21 18:13:47

Aveline

It is just all about money. If no one pays to watch these matches then it will all fold.
Real fans can form alliances to the other smaller clubs and support football that way.

The owners will make loads of money from televising games, particularly in the Far East, Middle East and Africa. They will also sell merchandise in those countries; they don't need fans in the UK going to matches to make money.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:19:48

I used to love football but have very little interest in it now. Even the last World Cup was boring. How would this super league thingy affect the World Cup? Johnson is certainly more proactive about this than he was when Covid reared it’s ugly head last year. Maybe if he’d been on the ball last spring we wouldn’t have the world beating death rate we have now.

Yammy Tue 20-Apr-21 18:30:42

Thousands are dying in India of Covid every day, their crematoriums are overrun, supplies running out. Yet this morning the first 15 mins of the BBC news at nine was taken up with football. What does it say about the world?

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 18:55:27

I've no huge interest in football (apart from having lots of grandsons who are footie mad and running a rather unsuccessful Fantasy Football team smile), but even I can see that this is a massive news story, worthy of the attention it's getting. Others have explained it better than I could, but it's a twisted tale of greed, ethics (or lack of), ambition and the betrayal of grassroots supporters. You don't have to be a sports fan to take an interest.

I would be delighted if this leads to football having the shake-up it deserves and getting back to basics, with more home-grown talent and fewer super-rich businessmen involved. I doubt that'll happen though.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 19:00:24

How would this super league thingy affect the World Cup?

Well there's talk of players signed up for clubs who are part of the Super League being banned from playing for their national teams. It's not often I feel sorry for highly paid professional footballers, but the club owners are trying to drag them into this whether they want it or not.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 19:12:11

I've just read that Chelsea are preparing documentation to request a withdrawal from the Super League already. The plot thickens.

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 19:15:17

loislovesstevie- of course. I hadn't thought of that. Very nasty business all round.

EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 19:19:47

Jaxjacky no particular expectations really but there is so much going on in the world I was taken aback when this was deemed most noteworthy and got the most airtime.
I’m probably prejudiced but I thought the brilliant technical achievement of getting a helicopter to fly on Mars was more newsworthy. Or what about COVID in India and the risk of it rampaging here?
Strange that the government is so slow to stop flights from there and so quick to threaten action against the clubs.

ValerieF Tue 20-Apr-21 19:49:23

Well EkwaNimitee. You said it all - you have no interest in football. Thousands DO care and this is BIG news. Devastating to many so don’t minimize it. There is always the “off” button option.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 19:58:24

Ekwa yes, I think there’s another thread on the situation in India.
I think if you’re not a football fan, the real passion and strong feelings about this news may have been underestimated. Similarly there are some news items others find very interesting and follow, I don’t. But, it’s a very relevant thread you started, perhaps not in the way you meant to!

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 20:02:03

Maggiemaybe just read, Man City have withdrawn, Chelsea to follow.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 20:14:44

It looks like it's starting to unravel, Jaxjacky. Good.

MerylStreep Tue 20-Apr-21 20:50:10

Well that didn’t go well, did it? All over. The greedy money grabbing pigs don’t understand human nature, do they?

Lovetopaint037 Tue 20-Apr-21 20:53:53

It’s all about money as football is no longer the family friendly game of years ago when entry was affordable and support of the teams. Then the players earned good but not ridiculous money and love of the game was what drove its popularity. Now it is commercial and money is what matters. The Super League is taking it a step further and ruining the competitive element which allows teams to attain success across the board.

rafichagran Tue 20-Apr-21 21:13:52

Looks like Man City has withdrawn from the Super League.