Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC overkill on reporting proposed european super league

(115 Posts)
EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 13:24:08

I'm a regular listener to Radio 4's 5pm, the 6pm News and the World Tonight at 10pm. Yesterday, the lead news item on all 3 was the proposed european superleague for football. Each program had lengthy discussions on the subject. And the same today so far.
Is there really nothing more important or interesting going on in the country and the world than this?! Past surveys I've seen show that the majority of us just aren't interested in football. So why? Any answers anyone?

Mollygo Fri 23-Apr-21 00:15:14

SW ???

Loislovesstewie Fri 23-Apr-21 05:25:56

M0nica

....and have you seen the cost of a replica strip. DGS wanted one for a fairly low division club and it was about £35 just for the top - for a very skinny 8 year old.

And £100 for an adult shirt for some clubs.

suziewoozie Fri 23-Apr-21 08:33:14

Loislovesstewie

M0nica

....and have you seen the cost of a replica strip. DGS wanted one for a fairly low division club and it was about £35 just for the top - for a very skinny 8 year old.

And £100 for an adult shirt for some clubs.

But no one has to buy one do they? If they didn’t sell at that price, they wouldn’t be at that price. I’m shocked at the price of all sorts of things like designer handbags and some wines but I don’t buy them .

Cunco Fri 23-Apr-21 08:47:50

I agree with Suziewoozie. People do not have to spend money on high priced luxury items. I suspect many do because they want to identify with the brand. Otherwise, football supporters would limit their identification to a scarf or hat as in days of yore. Branding is a bigger part of people's lives that they often know or admit extending to class, politics and religion. It was probably ever thus but brands were less global in those days.

suziewoozie Fri 23-Apr-21 08:55:43

Cunco

I agree with Suziewoozie. People do not have to spend money on high priced luxury items. I suspect many do because they want to identify with the brand. Otherwise, football supporters would limit their identification to a scarf or hat as in days of yore. Branding is a bigger part of people's lives that they often know or admit extending to class, politics and religion. It was probably ever thus but brands were less global in those days.

I think there’s an interesting debate to be had about why people are willing to pay huge sums for ( in particular) branded goods and the forces behind it. However, to simply moan about football strips is frankly imo daft without looking at the context. It’s exactly the same across Europe btw.

M0nica Fri 23-Apr-21 09:48:55

I agree about not buying the kit, but when a DGS reaslly, really wants it and a birthday is nigh - like all Grandmas I become a big softie.

However, I had decided to get him a bundle of presents for his birthday, he got one or two less.

JaneJudge Fri 23-Apr-21 09:51:28

I haven't read the last 5 pages but my eldest son who is mainly mute and absent with respect to communicating with his Mother TEXTED ME to say had I seen the news? grin god it did make me laugh

Mollygo Fri 23-Apr-21 11:14:53

M0nica I had just the same problem with a wish from my DGS. I didn’t realise you were ‘moaning’ about the cost. I thought you were passing on information that you had learned from experience. I am ‘frankly daft’ IHO, but I like to give pleasure to my DG if I can possibly afford it. I still think the prices are ridiculously high whether that’s cased by market forces or simple greed.

Nothing to do with football, but sometimes the fewer people who buy something, the higher the price. I had that explained to me when my DD needed her own oboe because she couldn’t take the school one on to high school. Violins would have been cheaper. c. I took out a loan to buy it and I can imagine I’d have been lectured on here for doing that. Should people not buy oboes because of the cost?

Casdon Fri 23-Apr-21 11:26:27

Boys become their heroes in their heads when they have a replica kit, that’s why it’s so hard to not get it for them. I’m not sure that at any conscious level it’s the same as adults seeking the in brands. When my son was younger he had the kit as one of his Christmas presents each year, and they meant so much to him that he still has them all - and who knows, there may be retro value in a Lampard football shirt one day!

JaneJudge Fri 23-Apr-21 11:28:26

I remember my youngest getting a Lampard top for £3 from the charity shop and being over the moon and he doesn't even support Chelsea grin

Cunco Fri 23-Apr-21 12:26:34

Mollygo: Of course, people should have freedom to buy what they can afford and what suits them. I hope your DD made full use of the oboe. I wish I could have made better use of my guitar (which, actually, was not very expensive).

There is no law against adults buying an expensive replica football kit, even though it was cheap to make, lasts for just one season and can make them look ridiculous. What may look cool on a young, fit teenager may look less so on a balding 50-year-old, carrying excess weight.

It is easy to see why your DD wanted an oboe. It is less easy for me to understand why people, sometimes with no great financial resources, should feel the need to identify so closely with a brand. Manchester United, for example, long since ceased to be a local football team, based in the North West of England. It is now a global brand with which people identify all over the world.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Apr-21 12:41:51

So, is it true that Johnson actually spoke to someone involved in the new league a few days before it was announced? So he did know about it...

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Apr-21 16:13:18

JaneJudge

I remember my youngest getting a Lampard top for £3 from the charity shop and being over the moon and he doesn't even support Chelsea grin

Two of my DGSs are very happy to get football shirts from charity shops. They don't seem to care which team they're from or even, in one case, what name is on the back. I've had to explain to several people that DGS3's name isn't actually Sid.

JaneJudge Fri 23-Apr-21 18:23:45

Maggiemaybe

JaneJudge

Two of my DGSs are very happy to get football shirts from charity shops. They don't seem to care which team they're from or even, in one case, what name is on the back. I've had to explain to several people that DGS3's name isn't actually Sid.

sunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshine