Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cyclists parking bikes on my lawn

(82 Posts)
Thegrandmarniter Sun 25-Apr-21 14:10:17

I live near a Millennium Greenway. I cycle or walk on it almost every day. However I don’t like it very much when cyclists from elsewhere stop outside my house, park their cars outside my living room window and then lean their bikes against the tree on my lawn, or walk across my lawn or mend their bicycle chains on my lawn.....Need I go on. I have put a little sign against one of the trees saying , ‘Private Garden, please keep dogs off the grass’ because, of course I have found little doggie dollops by the tree as well. If I go out and ask them politely to get off my garden they usually do but I’m a bit upset today. There were a group of 6, standing outside my window, a bike propped against each of the two trees and a third being mended on the grass. I politely asked them to move. One actually started laughing, another muttered something about 1st world problems, a third tried to make a joke about thinking it was a patch of Council grass. The final straw was when one said, ‘Oh, you’ve got a sign here, you haven’t cut the grass so I didn’t see it.’ Exasperated I said that maybe I’d get my bike out and follow them home and park on their lawns. One said, ‘If you did love I’d invite you in for a drink.’ The implication that I was being unreasonable was clear. The incident has left me a bit upset and shaky. Any advice Gransnetters?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Apr-21 14:14:19

Set up a sprinkler and water your lawn as and when necessary.

Gingster Sun 25-Apr-21 14:15:13

Could you put a little chain link fence up? So annoying for you. ?

Nonogran Sun 25-Apr-21 14:18:30

Hmmm, it's difficult to picture the terrain but could you put a line of large rocks across the boundary, painted white to make them stand out? Could you have some concrete posts made, nothing special or too expensive, but liveable with, linked by chains with a little swinging sign to say "Keep Off'?
Sounds like you need a psychological barrier to define what's yours. Nothing ugly or intrusive but simply a demarcation?
I'd be furious too. It's so disrespectful.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Apr-21 14:27:58

Aren’t you allowed to fence the garden ?
I don’t know what a millennium greenway is ?
Did you know when you bought the house that you had no formal boundaries?
I would t be able to work with this situation it sounds horrible and very intrusive

Deedaa Sun 25-Apr-21 14:42:02

Do you have neighbours who are having the same problems? A large male friend or relative could be a good deterrent, or how about a sign saying you've just sprayed the grass with a dangerous weed killer?

Thegrandmarniter Sun 25-Apr-21 14:47:26

The small chain link fence is a good idea. The estate is open plan but a small deterrent might work. Thanks for the advice team. Gingster in particular.

Elegran Sun 25-Apr-21 14:49:38

People don't read notices, or if they do they think they apply to other people, not them. Does your front garden have to be undefined? You need something to mark the edge of your private property - a fence, which could be as low as 12 or 18 inches high, or a narrow border with plants in. Just leave a gap the width of a garden gate opposite your front door.

If they can drive straight up to your windows they will, if they can wheel their bikes over your lawn and up to your trees they will. Make it more difficult for them and they will park their cars and bikes somewhere else.

And complain to the council! Take the numbers of cars which park on your private property, with photographs of you can and dates and times, and pass them on.

EllanVannin Sun 25-Apr-21 14:57:32

Some spikey plants ? Pepper in the areas where the dogs go, and plenty of it.

lemongrove Sun 25-Apr-21 15:01:06

A chain link fence, good advice Ginster? just enough of a deterrent.

Cabbie21 Sun 25-Apr-21 15:02:11

We have a similar frontage and I am pleased to say that the worst has been the paper boy leaving his bike on the lawn, or a leaflet delivery chap taking a short cut between house across our lawn. We are not allowed fences, though shrubs and borders are ok.
I am not sure about rocks or a chain fence. If somebody ( who shouldn’t be there, I know) were to trip and injure themselves they could try to take action against you.

Thegrandmarniter Sun 25-Apr-21 15:15:28

Oh blimey Cabbie, I never thought of that!

Jaxjacky Sun 25-Apr-21 15:24:34

Put stingers out!
Sorry, flippant, I don’t think they could sue as it’s private property, I’d put a border with shrubs, so it looks like a garden.

lemongrove Sun 25-Apr-21 15:26:30

If they tripped going across a chain link fence and lawn as a shortcut instead of using the path, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on ( especially a broken one, haha.) legally speaking, because it wouldn’t be ‘reasonable’.
Anyone can have an accident whilst working on your property, most of us have insurance for this already, but it’s all about ‘reasonable’ risk.If you, the householder left broken glass on the drive or a ladder at a dangerous angle etc then the
Fault would be yours.

Madgran77 Sun 25-Apr-21 15:41:19

The line of rocks might be a suitable deterrent and pretty easy to put in place

timetogo2016 Sun 25-Apr-21 15:48:43

Great advice Ginster,and if they carry on doing it,thats called trespassing.

Witzend Sun 25-Apr-21 15:55:23

How about a border of evergreen shrubs. Dwarf mahonia might be good - very hardy and will grow anywhere.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Apr-21 16:20:42

Well if fences aren’t allowed what about a moat you can say you’re encouraging wild life

Katie59 Sun 25-Apr-21 16:28:05

Witzend

How about a border of evergreen shrubs. Dwarf mahonia might be good - very hardy and will grow anywhere.

Berberris or Roses both are cheap enough if you buy bare root in autumn, would be nice to look at too.
Parker’s, the bulb people are a good source.

eazybee Sun 25-Apr-21 16:39:34

Berberis is the thing; when we moved into our new house all the front gardens were edged with this plant; it looks colourful, is low maintenance and as it has spiky thorns it is just the thing to catch cyclists' ankles if they should try to walk through it.

Teacheranne Sun 25-Apr-21 18:30:50

I think I would do two things to indicate where my frontage starts. I would install a basic chain link fence and dig a narrow border just behind the fence. You can then plant to birder with some low hedge type bushes and in a year or so when they have grown, remove the fence thus creating a pretty lawned area.

My neighbours were unhappy when I removed a hedge between our properties at the front - it was brown and dying as we used to park our caravan up against it! They did not like people cutting across my lawn to deliver things to there front door as they walked right past the full length lounge windows. So we dug a very narrow flower bed which I planted with low laurel bushes which was enough of a deterrent to stop people and being evergreen, it looked colourful all year.

bikergran Sun 25-Apr-21 19:35:19

Nettles a row of nettles!!

Thegrandmarniter Sun 25-Apr-21 20:12:48

Wonderful advice from everyone. I knew I could rely on you. Love the idea of a moat. Sadly my modest little bungalow would soon be drowned in it, but imagine the wildlife, small children with paper boats, frogs and toads, hunky guys wearing waders (!) maybe even a duckhouse.

I’ve been pricing up little posts and decorative chains, and Berberis hedging which I’ll keep short.

harrigran Mon 26-Apr-21 08:56:43

Delivery men and the postman used to walk across the grass instead of using the path, we had posts sunk and heavy duty chain hung between. Works as a reminder.
I do believe that when you live on an open plan estate, people other than residents, think lawns are common ground. I had tracks across mine with the heavy footfall.

elleks Tue 27-Apr-21 10:36:43

Whitewavemark2

Set up a sprinkler and water your lawn as and when necessary.

Use the motion operated ones for repelling cats.