Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I unreasonable to wish I could ‘retire’ at 60?

(81 Posts)
MrsEBear Sat 08-May-21 10:27:34

By which I mean stop attempting to increase my paid work at the expense of family responsibilities. I promise you I wouldn’t be idle!

I have next to nothing in pension savings due to divorce so it’s not as if I will have a basic income at 60 as some people do. On the other hand my living costs are low and I will have some capital from inheritance after probate goes through (would much rather still have my dear Dad of course).

My current work has been affected by the pandemic (whose hasn’t?) but if I accept it’s going to be half my previous hours I could claim carer’s allowance as I look after a disabled relative.

If you’re in your late 50s like me you can probably remember growing up with the knowledge that ‘women retire at 60’. Is this now a completely ridiculous idea? The last year has made me feel suddenly 10 years older - I was quite vigorous in 2019!

I think my Dad’s death has made me think about my mortality and how I’m using my time. Should I be looking for something to keep me afloat for the next 2 or 3 years or trying to find a situation I could manage for 10 years or more?

Purplepixie Thu 13-May-21 13:14:52

No, if you want to retire and can afford it then go for it. No one said that we have to be slaves to work until we drop down dead!

Doodledog Thu 13-May-21 18:38:22

Dinahmo

The pension age had to go up - most of us are living much longer.

The rise in life expectancy that the UK enjoyed for years has declined since the new pension age was implemented. Coincidence? Maybe . . .

growstuff Thu 13-May-21 18:46:55

GrauntyHelen

YANBU I should have 3years to retirement instead I have 11

How do you work that out?

beautybumble Thu 13-May-21 19:00:59

I did retire at 60. I was tired because it was such hard work and couldn't wait to be free. I had so many plans to see a lot more of England. I was very excited. Then the grandchildren came one by one and I've given them a lot of my time. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I wish I could have done the things I waited so long for. So you decide what you want to do and do it and enjoy it. Retirement can be a very exciting time if you want it to be. Enjoy yourself.

Classic Fri 25-Jun-21 05:09:18

I am desperate to retire, I am exhausted, I cope with arthritis and pain on a daily basis. I closed my surveying business at 58 because my body and eyesight were struggling with it, the lady in the tax office asked me what I was going to do now, I explained I had a little driving job to keep me going for two years. "no dear, you have another 8 years" she told me, and explained that women would no longer be able to retire at 60, as some of my friends were doing at that time.
She told me that she hears all the time from women not knowing about the change. Seems I was too busy bringing up a family single handed, working and looking after house and garden all on my own to sit and read the magazines that the notices were in!
I can now retire in 37 months time, then some younger person can have my job, instead of being on benefits, and I can have the pension that I paid my NI for, it will be almost 50 years of working when I retire. In the meantime, my mother had to go into a care home for her last few months as I had to work, and most of my grandchildren have grown up now so wont need me to help with babysitting and school runs and stuff like that, to help my working daughters, which is what I had hoped to do once I reached 60.
For the women who don't understand why women should have been able to retire earlier than men, I guess they were lucky enough to marry men who did a lot of the physical work, gardening, decorating, car maintenance, as well as sharing the childcare, and the housework, personally I did the whole lot myself whilst bringing up 5 children and working full time.
I never benefitted from equal pay till I got a job on minimum wage, and yet I was obliged to have an equal retirement age, perhaps they should have sorted the one before the other. So for the original poster, If there is a way to retire early, go for it, and enjoy.