Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV problems - DH's attitude

(165 Posts)
Trisha57 Mon 10-May-21 21:28:15

We have treated ourselves to a new Smart TV which is bigger and better than our old one. I paid for half of it, which is our usual practice. The TV has super HD and would be brilliant if we were able to use all its facilities. However, my husband has discovered that if we use the proper route to the TV via its own remote control, he will not be able to access Now TV to watch some of his favourite team's football matches. We also have Sky Sport which costs quite a lot of money per month so that he can watch football. I pay half the subscription cost to both Now TV and Sky Sport although I never watch those channels. So, the upshot is that we watch TV via another route with our old remote control and the picture is far less sharp, and the sound is very fuzzy. Tonight, the old TV remote packed up and nothing will bring it back to life, so the TV got stuck on one channel. I suggested we used new remote control as it was supposed to be used, but of course he won't programme the viewing via that as he wouldn't be able to watch Now TV.

Am I being unreasonable to feel a bit fed up with him? I do, after all, pay for the subscriptions that I don't watch and I have said that if he wants to buy another TV and pay for the subscriptions himself I would be quite happy for him to watch his sport in another room. He didn't reply to that one!

Sorry if I don't know all the technical terms, but I do know that our son-in-law, when we first bought the TV, programmed it so that we could watch programmes in super HD with just one remote control for all functions but when DH found that he couldn't access Now TV he asked for it to be accessed via our old remote control with a not-so-good picture and sound.

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 09:43:50

Right, I've made my mind up! I will get someone in to set it all up properly. I think Polarbear2 hit the nail on the head - he wants to stick to what he knows rather than do things the "proper" way which he is unfamiliar with. Now to persuade him that his wind-up mobile phone is a little out of date (joking!)

Pittcity Tue 11-May-21 09:45:45

lovebeigecardigans1955

That is very annoying. If you were to buy another telly would you have to get an additional tv licence? I hate all this technical stuff and would dread having to cope with new stuff.

Beige a TV license covers the house, you don't need one per telly.

Trisha, Google is your friend. Google the model of TV and Now . There will be help there as the manuals that come with tech are usually difficult to understand and my DH never reads them!!

FannyCornforth Tue 11-May-21 09:46:15

Excellent stuff!
I'm sure that you will be surprised at how simple it is.
Things are much easier now than they were.

Cabbie21 Tue 11-May-21 09:46:18

Sounds just like my DH, who thinks he is a techie but gets it wrong. I hope you can sort it whilst he is out. Glad we don’t pay for any extras. I certainly wouldn’t be paying half for any sports channels.

StatenIsland Tue 11-May-21 10:18:14

Trisha57

Hi all. I'm going to have a proper look at what we've got set up when DH goes to play tennis this morning. We haven't got Sky, so I think all the Sky sports channels must be coming via Now TV. You can tell I'm not a TV techie! Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I'll wait with baited breath as he's now ordered a replacement remote!

That makes it simpler, Trisha. You must be getting the Sky sports channels through Now so it should just be a case of activating the Now app on your new TV. If it’s not listed along the bottom with all the others, do as I said in my first post, go to the App icon and look in there.

I really want this story to end by you having resolved all this yourself by the time he gets back.

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 10:24:44

Oh, I've found the sound settings and changed it to "Cinema", which has made the sound much crisper!

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 10:33:15

Sorry, not Cinema but "Movie" - we've gone all American!

MiniMoon Tue 11-May-21 10:33:15

trisha, we have a smart remote that I set up to control the TV and the freesat box. It was so easy. My DH is still so attached to the two separate remotes, that when the one for the TV failed I bought him a new one. The freesat remote is losing functions now, and I refuse to buy a new one of those. The old fuddy daddy will just have to learn to use the smart remote. Honestly, men!

StatenIsland Tue 11-May-21 10:34:18

Trisha57

Oh, I've found the sound settings and changed it to "Cinema", which has made the sound much crisper!

Well done. A step in the right direction. Now to explore those apps! Pun intended. smile

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 10:35:24

MiniMoon - so glad I'm not the only one with this DH problem! I wonder if I could get him a "dummy" remote that he could use as a pacifier? hmm

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 10:37:24

How weird, I've looked in Apps and Now TV isn't there! Going to go on Google now and look up our model of TV..........

Aveline Tue 11-May-21 10:44:34

I dont have Sky but can access various Sky channels via NOWTV. Do you need both? I get NOW TV free with my BT TV package.

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 10:53:42

Ah, it appears that NowTV app is not compatible with our TV. We have a Phillips 50PUS7085/12. Apparently it affects Sony TVs as well. Maybe a Now TV stick? StatenIsland?

jaylucy Tue 11-May-21 10:56:31

If he won't agree to at the very least watch what you want , I'd stop paying your share.
Get someone in to retune your tv and then teach your husband exactly how the new remote works, then leave him to it.
Buy another tv for yourself, site it in another room,with or without Sky. We have BT with Freeview channels plus some extras and I can usually find something that I am happy to watch.
One of my uncles and his wife have been married for nearly 50 years and for certainly the last 30 of those years have sat in separate rooms every evening to watch tv !

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 11:00:48

I think I get it now (she says hopefully). We have a TalkTalk box with its own remote AND a remote for the TV. As the TV is not compatible with Now TV, DH gets all our viewing via the TalkTalk box and not the TV, which means that the super HD function on the TV is not being used (I think its called 4k HD or something like that). Would a Now TV stick work, so that we could just use the TV set up and not the TalkTalk box?

Daisend1 Tue 11-May-21 11:06:05

Trisha57
This would be far too 'one sided' for my liking
The only way out of this is that you have your own TV in another room. Get a technician to set it up for you .
Both H and self had our own tv
Different rooms, obviously.as we could never agree what to watch

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 11:06:52

I think my main complaint isn't that he won't let me watch what I want (I do, including Call the Midwife and Sewing Bee!) it's that because the Now TV app can't be installed on our TV directly, we have to have an inferior picture for ALL the channels (I've fixed the sound problem). The point of getting a new TV was that a) it could be mounted on the wall, as our old TV was very old and heavy, b) one remote would control all our viewing and c) the quality would be better. It's on the wall now, but that's the only improvement.

olddudders Tue 11-May-21 11:15:55

Football, the opiate of the people, is a game played by 22 overpaid prima-donna yobs, in front - pre-Covid - of a stadium full of wannabes and a nation of rabid males monopolising the sofa and the tv remote.

Look for a man with alternative interests. We do exist.

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 11:18:20

olddudders, to be fair I did know that he was a football fanatic when I married him nearly 41 years ago! But I completely agree with your description of the gamegrin

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-May-21 11:22:22

Sounds very very complicated to me Trisha, I wouldn’t be happy with that arrangement at all, so I don’t think you are being unreasonable, I actually think your Dh is

olddudders Tue 11-May-21 11:23:42

Thankyou Trisha. I grew up in a household where my father and my twin younger brothers talked of little else. Yawn!

StatenIsland Tue 11-May-21 11:54:53

Trisha57

Ah, it appears that NowTV app is not compatible with our TV. We have a Phillips 50PUS7085/12. Apparently it affects Sony TVs as well. Maybe a Now TV stick? StatenIsland?

Ah ha. The plot thickens while the issue becomes clearer. This TT community thread might throw some light:

community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/Now-tv-app-incompatible-with-my-box/td-p/2737673

Maybe a chat with someone at Talk Talk to see how best to integrate the devices, still let you record programmes on the TT hard drive while still getting the best out of your Smart TV. A stick might be the answer rather than watching live TV and streaming through what might be an outdated box.

FannyCornforth Tue 11-May-21 14:33:15

Trisha please update us!
Some of us are very invested in your TV / DH woes!

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 15:30:42

Thank you StatenIsland. Fanny will update soon - DGS has just arrived from school!

Jaxjacky Tue 11-May-21 16:13:28

Sorry oldudders rabid football female here married to a man of the same ilk! He has other interests too....??