Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV problems - DH's attitude

(165 Posts)
Trisha57 Mon 10-May-21 21:28:15

We have treated ourselves to a new Smart TV which is bigger and better than our old one. I paid for half of it, which is our usual practice. The TV has super HD and would be brilliant if we were able to use all its facilities. However, my husband has discovered that if we use the proper route to the TV via its own remote control, he will not be able to access Now TV to watch some of his favourite team's football matches. We also have Sky Sport which costs quite a lot of money per month so that he can watch football. I pay half the subscription cost to both Now TV and Sky Sport although I never watch those channels. So, the upshot is that we watch TV via another route with our old remote control and the picture is far less sharp, and the sound is very fuzzy. Tonight, the old TV remote packed up and nothing will bring it back to life, so the TV got stuck on one channel. I suggested we used new remote control as it was supposed to be used, but of course he won't programme the viewing via that as he wouldn't be able to watch Now TV.

Am I being unreasonable to feel a bit fed up with him? I do, after all, pay for the subscriptions that I don't watch and I have said that if he wants to buy another TV and pay for the subscriptions himself I would be quite happy for him to watch his sport in another room. He didn't reply to that one!

Sorry if I don't know all the technical terms, but I do know that our son-in-law, when we first bought the TV, programmed it so that we could watch programmes in super HD with just one remote control for all functions but when DH found that he couldn't access Now TV he asked for it to be accessed via our old remote control with a not-so-good picture and sound.

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-May-21 12:30:05

TBsNana

Smart TV's are a flipping Nightmare aren't they!

I think though you could watch NOW! from your Smart TV - you just need to download the app to enable it and then sign in to the NOW account - so you get the nice picture and DH gets Football (groan!)

Nooo!
Arghhhhhhh!
confusedangryconfusedangrygringringrin

olddudders Fri 14-May-21 12:42:49

NotSpaghetti

TBsNana

Smart TV's are a flipping Nightmare aren't they!

I think though you could watch NOW! from your Smart TV - you just need to download the app to enable it and then sign in to the NOW account - so you get the nice picture and DH gets Football (groan!)

Nooo!
Arghhhhhhh!
confusedangryconfusedangrygringringrin

I feel your pain.

StatenIsland Fri 14-May-21 13:09:11

I think it's time for this thread to be locked (if that's possible here) and any postscript to Trisha's story be started by her in the Technology section. What say?

tanith Fri 14-May-21 13:19:30

Aye to that * StatenIsland*

Trisha57 Fri 14-May-21 17:08:41

That suits me StatenIsland! Although it is comforting to read of others that have had similar issues and great to have been informed of a solution, it does get a bit wearing to have to keep repeating myself confused! I'll try to remember to put my update in the Technology section............

Trisha57 Fri 14-May-21 17:10:24

NotSpaghetti, please don't get all discombobulated! smile

StatenIsland Fri 14-May-21 17:44:29

Trisha, I'm newish her and don't know the protocol for closing a thread. Note to mods presumably.

It's been an interesting thread though. I hadn't realised Smart TV was such a minefield of tech problems. A browse through the NOW community pages is quite illuminating. If you encounter any problems when you have received your stick that's probably the place to go to look for answers.

Yes, the tech section here is probably the best place for any follow on. I was starting to feel quite sorry for your man. My dear late husband was a sports fanatic, especially football so I know what it's like when Jeff Stelling and his fellow pundits are analysing everything to death - from the pre-match boot-lacing to the post match show gel. Let's go over to Chris Kamara. Brut or Lynx, Chris? And do I really care whether Dimitri Boglidup should have run into that space there - instead of that space there. Whoever allowed pundits anywhere near an interactive white board should be skewered on a corner flag imo.

But then, I spent Wednesday evening watching an old Midsomer Murders, Joe Lycett mincing and romping around on Sewing Bee and the lovely Steve from The Repair Shop firing a toy cannon at a biscuit tin. Who am I to criticise what other people watch? smile

Trisha57 Sat 15-May-21 09:38:41

StatenIsland, your description of the pundits really made me laugh! We both love The Repair Shop, my favourite is Will. Oh, and the teddy bear ladies! I also watch Sewing Bee, Great British Menu, Gardeners World and anything about forensics and true crime. Yes, I fear DH was being cast in the role of villain as the posts came thick and fast. I really didn't expect 7 pages! Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you updated.

StatenIsland Sat 15-May-21 09:57:03

Hi Trisha. I share your tastes. The Repair Shop has been my favourite series during lockdown (along with Grayson's Art Club). I may well have spent as many hours watching past series on demand as your man has spent watching footie. Will is so beautiful in every respect. I'd like the entire to team to come around and fix my stuff. I'm sure I can find a broken watch, bent-out-of shape silver, cracked porcelain and a worn ukelele. I'd struggle on paintings of any note and pinball machines but definitely have rusty gates that Dom could sandblast. See you on the Tech side. smile

FannyCornforth Sat 15-May-21 10:11:01

Hello Everyone.
Haven't RTFT yet, but just to let Staten and others know that you cannot 'close' a thread.
Hope that you have had a satisfying result Trisha smile

Janetr Sat 15-May-21 14:32:17

Smart TVs allow you add the Now Tv app and enables you to watch your subscription programmes that way. You do have to put you email and password in (the one you use for Now TV subscription), using the tv remote control, but it guides you through it when the app is loaded. A bit time consuming, but, it’s very easy and you only do it the once. I used to have a Now TV box, which is now redundant. All my TV subscriptions are on apps on the TV. Netflix, Apple TV, Disney, IPlayer and other catch-up programmes. Check out YouTube for instructions if you find it difficult.

olddudders Sat 15-May-21 15:44:13

Round and round it goes. Trisha told us some pages ago that her model of TV is incompatible with the app. She has been told to just be a good girl and download it several times since then.

Evidently writing is easier than reading.

Saetana Tue 18-May-21 00:19:47

StatenIsland - we found the app alright but it wouldn't work, as we already had the small NOWTV box it was much easier just to plug it in and use that.

BlueberryPie Tue 18-May-21 00:49:00

Yep, I agree that a second TV would be great, if you can swing it.