Gransnet forums

AIBU

Married but not accepted by his family

(33 Posts)
jamjak Fri 21-May-21 16:56:38

Two years ago I remarried. His family were horrified. They live close by but do nothing to assist him or keep him company, though constantly ask for money. We signed a very tight prenup which he said would reassure them that their inheritance was safe and that they would then "come around to the idea". Wedding was supposed to be just us two with two witnesses, but his entire family arrived all dressed in full black mourning gear and never even greeted me! I know that I have done nothing to alienate them as they refuse to be around me so have never even had a conversation with them.
Recently had a birthday and a card arrived in the post from one of them. Correct address but first name only - no surname. As they obviously know their father's surname, I have to assume that they refuse to acknowledge that it is mine now. It felt like a card to the family dog with only one name. Husband says that I should be grateful that I received a card. They can do no wrong in his eyes.
Any thoughts please?

Esspee Sat 22-May-21 12:39:11

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes when they learn a prenup is not legally enforçeable in the UK.

GillT57 Sat 22-May-21 12:56:52

So basically you face a future possibly being a carer to a man whose family are watching their inheritance like hawks? Nah, I would be off.

FlexibleFriend Sat 22-May-21 17:26:43

It's not their inheritance, it's his money and it's up to him if he leaves them anything at all. It only becomes their inheritance once he's dead and assuming he leaves it to them. More fool him if he does too. Nasty little money grabbers should be told to treat his wife with respect or find the fact that they disrespect her reflected in any money he leaves. That should focus their twisted minds. He should be protecting you from his evil offspring and yet he isn't. I'd be having words with him if I was in that situation.

harrigran Sun 23-May-21 07:34:15

This is a perfect example of why you should not remarry in later life, the grief from first family is not worth the hassle.
Living together, rather than being married, makes it easier to get out of the relationship at this stage of life.

BlueberryPie Sun 23-May-21 12:40:51

I think that marriage counseling is definitely in order here.

This is an ugly situation and it doesn't appear either of you have any solid ideas on how to best resolve it. But I bet a good marriage counselor would.

timetogo2016 Tue 01-Jun-21 19:02:31

OMG,they are the devil incarnate,run for the hills asap.
You have made one hell of a mistake.

Blossoming Tue 01-Jun-21 19:10:46

Is this a windup?