Gransnet forums

AIBU

Please please separate the games from discussion, am I the only one?

(176 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Sago Wed 26-May-21 08:36:10

I think this may have come up before but I’m having a go anyway!

I know some of you love the games but I really think they should be in their own section.

13 this morning.

Am I alone?

FarNorth Thu 27-May-21 09:24:34

MN gets quite a few things that GN doesn't.

I do play a few of the games but yesterday I went through several games threads, hiding them all. It took a little while but it's made my Active list less cluttered.

ixion Thu 27-May-21 09:25:07

Kim?

This is particularly evident first thing in the morning. Someone will start a thread early doors about, for example, the reported death of a prominent person

Before you know it, said thread will slip off the bottom of the Active list; resulting in someone starting a duplicate thread

Just out of curiosity Fanny, did you get any overnight?
As I said, zilch here!

LtEve Thu 27-May-21 09:26:14

Why can’t they have the same options as Mumsnet where you can choose which topics to exclude from your active page? You can also see all posts from the OP which is very useful on long threads. Perhaps GNHQ think as we are older we are too dim to be able to manage the different options??

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 09:27:00

Ixion I've been asleep all night for a change! ?

lemongrove Thu 27-May-21 09:27:40

Nansnet posters do start threads on games under the games heading, but if lots of people post on them the games threads will appear on the active page.
Any recently added to topic, games, news and politics, chat etc will all pop up on the active page.
If ‘chat’ was the most active topic then the active page would be full of that.
Games are the most popular, as we have threads like this one regularly with people bemoaning the fact.?

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 09:29:06

LtEve I thought that you could do that on MN - but I can't fathom out how to do it! (I don't think that this is an age related thing btw!)

Manhattan Thu 27-May-21 09:33:01

We all know what is meant by ^“trending” - “currently popular or widely discussed online, especially on social media websites”. Discussed being the operative word.

In a news day when the main stories were Cummings and the collapse of the Hillsborough trial, this is what was trending on GN at 20:45pm yesterday evening just before I switched to watch some news on TV.

Games are clearly popular but they are not discussions and should not be included in the active discussion threads.

For the record, I messaged GNHQ yesterday and have had a message back fom Sonia saying it will be looked into. I expect members will say we have been here before but the disability issue - see upthread- that the way things are currently organised makes the site harder to use for members with impaired sight and dexterity means the site owners have legal duty under the Equalities Act 2010 to look at the issue and fix it.

As I have written before, it really only needs an addition to the menu - Active discussions | Games | I'm on| Watching | etc and a minor tweak to the internal code to exclude games posts from showing up on the top Active Discussions list and in the Trending sidebar. It really would be that simple to fix. Gamers could go straight to the Games section and non-gamers can see what is currently being discussed without active discussions being pushed off the list.

LtEve Thu 27-May-21 09:34:49

It used to be easy until they bought in the premium site, now I have to play around each time I want to hide a topic to work it out.
On GN you can’t hide a thread if you’re not on the mobile site it seems, rather irritating.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 09:36:01

Thank you Manhatten that is very good of you thankssmile

ixion Thu 27-May-21 09:36:37

OK.
I've tackled this from another angle (saves attacking the ironing basket).
I went to Forums/Games to see what it was that appear on people's Active etc lists and which, naturally, shunt off a lot of other threads.
My screen shots show
'Page 1'
'Next'.

Hey, where are they all for me? ?

ixion Thu 27-May-21 09:37:53

Judging by the 'Trending' box on the top tight, there should be a lot more than this?

LtEve Thu 27-May-21 09:56:48

I’ve just been through hiding all the game threads on my active page, 21 threads! Hope it saves and I don’t have to do it each time, would be so much easier if there was an option to hide the topic.
Off now to hide all coronavirus threads and anything to do with Harry and Megan.?My BP will be at an unprecedented low today.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 10:04:16

LtEve not only will your BP be 'at an unprecedented low', so will the number of your active threads!

What did we discuss prior to M&H, coronavirus, and of course, B*****? ?

Manhattan Thu 27-May-21 10:04:22

FannyCornforth

Thank you Manhatten that is very good of you thankssmile

We shall see what happens.

Izabella raises an important issue about site organisation and ease of use which is worthy of a separate topic - I don't mean this site in particular but all websites.

We all find some websites harder to use than others and often blame ourselves but the answer often lies in poor design.

It's especially true in this day and age of site development tools such as Wix and its competitors - tools which are relatively easy to use for people who are not professional developers. You simply pick a template and add your content. The danger is that the template and the look of a site ends up driving and taking precedence over the logical organisation of the content and ease of use.

However, when you look in the small print for Wix & co you'll find a disclaimer which says that many of the templates do not comply with World Wide Web Consortium standards with regard to accessibility and disability legislation - that is up to the site owner to ensure compliance with the Equalities Act 2010 and a lot don't bother.

LtEve Thu 27-May-21 10:13:20

FannyCornforth

LtEve not only will your BP be 'at an unprecedented low', so will the number of your active threads!

What did we discuss prior to M&H, coronavirus, and of course, B*****? ?

It seems to remain at the same number, the vacant slots are presumably filled by the next most replied to thread. It’s bliss.?

toscalily Thu 27-May-21 10:17:14

Some very good points made about WWW design & legislation, perhaps it really is time for GNHQ to revisit & rethink the design of a website mainly aimed at the older generation. Perhaps we should put up a petition to see if we can get enough hands up to get things moving grin

Manhattan Thu 27-May-21 10:41:01

toscalily

Some very good points made about WWW design & legislation, perhaps it really is time for GNHQ to revisit & rethink the design of a website mainly aimed at the older generation. Perhaps we should put up a petition to see if we can get enough hands up to get things moving grin

On the whole, I think it is a clearly laid-out no-frills site but just needing some tweaks to make participation easiest for everyone.

mumofmadboys Thu 27-May-21 12:10:22

Please can GN HQ give us some feedback re separating games threads

Chestnut Thu 27-May-21 12:52:34

Games should be on the top bar with all the other topics. This is a discussion forum.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 12:54:32

mumofmadboys

Please can GN HQ give us some feedback re separating games threads

You'll have to email them
They very rarely read the site.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-May-21 12:56:04

Manhattan has kindly emailed them, and will get back to us in due course

SoniaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-May-21 13:46:05

Hi - just dropping in to say thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

We've taken a look and moved 2 games threads out of chat. Please feel free to report any others and we'll move them over to the Games topic.

We'll also look at a tech solution - but this will take more time and resource - so hopefully moving threads is a quick solution. flowers

Sago Thu 27-May-21 13:50:24

OP Here Sonia Thank you.

Nansnet Thu 27-May-21 13:51:53

BlueBelle

But nansnet surely you must understand that if you only have two forums you are interested in and go straight to them then you won’t see any games threads Most people use GN to read a whole variety of opinions and topics and enjoy dipping in and out of various subjects and the best way to do that is to read your news feed every morning or whenever you go on GN and see what the latest news, and discussions are and dip in and out of those that interest you, however if you newsfeed is clogged with games threads you may well miss interesting discussions
No one is asking to get rid of the games feature, just isolate it so those that enjoy them can use them and those that don’t don’t have to be overrun like bindweed in your garden

BlueBelle, I do see your point. And whilst I do regularly only visit 3-4 forums, I do like to occasionally dip in and out of others, and I've not really found games threads to be a big problem. Although, I do appreciate that those of you who spend more time on GN, and like to partake in many different discussion forums, do find it an issue.

My point being that there is already a Games Forum, so I guess it's the fault of whoever posts a new games thread for putting it on discussions forums, where it's not supposed to be, instead of on the Games Forum. Hopefully, GNHQ will come up with a solution to the problem, and everyone will be happy.smile

Chestnut Thu 27-May-21 14:15:32

It matters not which forum they are on because threads on the Games forum come up with all the other recent threads!