Gransnet forums

AIBU

Please please separate the games from discussion, am I the only one?

(176 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Sago Wed 26-May-21 08:36:10

I think this may have come up before but I’m having a go anyway!

I know some of you love the games but I really think they should be in their own section.

13 this morning.

Am I alone?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 26-May-21 09:50:20

Yes I agree about games.
I don’t like the idea of a “like” button. Introduces too much competition IMO. “Dislike” button even worse! What’s wrong with just saying you support or don’t?

henetha Wed 26-May-21 09:56:31

I agree Greeneyedgirl. A 'like' button would be unsettling for some of us less confident posters.

nanna8 Wed 26-May-21 10:09:59

I can’t see the problem with games, just scroll past them. I think a ‘like’button would be good, or perhaps an ‘I agree’ if not ‘like’. I have come across this on other forums and there were no issues. I can’t see why this would upset anyone though I think ‘dislike’ certainly would.

PippaZ Wed 26-May-21 10:11:07

Blossoming

This complaint gets posted on a regular basis. I’m not interested in the games, so I just scroll on by. I really don’t see the problem.

I think they are most used at the end of the day which depletes the list of other threads. If you go on in the morning it's much more difficult to find which discussion threads have been contributed to recently. It isn't a "problem" but there do see to be those who are only or mainly interested in the games and those who have not interest in them at all. This would be fine if the numbers were limited (not that I think they should be) but they now overwhelm every other topic at certain periods of time.

It does seem that one group of people are being catered for at the detriment of the majority (?) or large minority.

PippaZ Wed 26-May-21 10:11:48

do see
do seem

Sarnia Wed 26-May-21 10:13:36

Can't people just scroll past the games if they are not interested in playing them?

Blossoming Wed 26-May-21 10:28:05

Izabella

Blossoming

This complaint gets posted on a regular basis. I’m not interested in the games, so I just scroll on by. I really don’t see the problem.

It IS a problem for those of us with visual problems

I have visual impairments and it isn’t a problem for me.

Aveline Wed 26-May-21 10:29:42

I always have to remove the games threads. There are so many of them. They need a separate forum!

Calendargirl Wed 26-May-21 10:34:23

Yes, we do scroll past the Games threads if we are not interested, but it would be better if they were separate.

We are constantly asked why there are so many Harry and Meghan or Royal Family threads. No more boring than seeing game after game.

mumofmadboys Wed 26-May-21 10:35:18

PLEASE can the games be separate from the chat threads. It would be a huge improvement.

Daisymae Wed 26-May-21 10:39:14

No, you are not alone!

Baggs Wed 26-May-21 10:43:23

Because scrolling through them is so hard [sarc emoji].

Baggs Wed 26-May-21 10:44:10

What I wish is that GNers would stop bloody moaning about Games threads. Just scroll past them, for goodness' sake!

Calendargirl Wed 26-May-21 10:44:59

No one says scrolling is hard Baggs, just unnecessary.

winterwhite Wed 26-May-21 10:45:09

On long-running threads I read the first few then use Flip to look at the end. Or go to the last page.
Trouble with Games is that the main screen can only show a certain number of recent topics so umpteen games can take up a disproportionate amount of the space. The long-running threads such as the RF or Brexit tend to be only 1 or 2 per subject at a time whereas there are often more than a dozen games.

Calendargirl Wed 26-May-21 10:46:50

And the ‘gamers’ seem to be in the minority, judging by comments on this thread, and similar ones in the past Baggs.

Baggs Wed 26-May-21 10:47:42

Calendargirl

No one says scrolling is hard Baggs, just unnecessary.

Actually, it is necessary. That's why people are complaining about it.

But if Tech separates Games threads, they should separate Coronavirus threads and News & Politics threads, etc.

There is a way to avoid Games threads other than scrolling too. Click on "Forums" at the top and choose which forums you want to read and, thereby, avoid the Games threads. Easy peasy.

Baggs Wed 26-May-21 10:48:31

If it bothered people THAT MUCH they'd have thought of that solution to the "problem" already.

Baggs Wed 26-May-21 10:50:44

Calendargirl

And the ‘gamers’ seem to be in the minority, judging by comments on this thread, and similar ones in the past Baggs.

Good.

They still get in my face for too much though ?

cornishpatsy Wed 26-May-21 10:52:06

I agree but doubt anything will change.

Chestnut Wed 26-May-21 10:57:08

I don’t like the idea of a “like” button. Introduces too much competition IMO. “Dislike” button even worse!

I didn't mean so much 'like' and 'dislike' but rather agree or disagree, either a thumbs up and thumbs down or a green up and red down arrow to show you feel the same or not.

Squiffy Wed 26-May-21 10:59:13

I agree OP.

If you click on Last Day, or more particularly Last Hour, there are times when the list comprises mainly Games threads, which pushes other topics off the list.

annodomini Wed 26-May-21 11:03:27

I have only ever contributed to one game. It doesn't bother me to scroll past the games to get to the last forums. Why should it? What a trivial issue this is!

FannyCornforth Wed 26-May-21 11:04:54

cornishpatsy

I agree but doubt anything will change.

They won't make any changes at all.
It's pointless even mentioning it.

However it's a GN tradition to have a 'Games Complaint Thread' on the go; in the same way that we have to have at least one H&M thread trundling on.

It's a bit like The Tower of London and the ravens I imagine.

JaneJudge Wed 26-May-21 11:07:42

Harry and Meghan need their own sub section grin