Gransnet forums

AIBU

To boycott Coca Cola products

(62 Posts)
Pammie1 Sat 29-May-21 14:38:45

Short and sweet. Expecting to get flamed quite a lot. Coca Cola has incorporated ‘be less white’ into their training videos. I find it really offensive and tantamount to reverse racism. AIBU to boycott Coke products from now on ?

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-May-21 19:33:02

I hope you don't mean me Maggie when you say some took it as:

proof positive that Coca Cola employees were not told to look at this training video

Because some trainers probably did tell people to look at it. The article says that they weren't directed to it by Coca Cola.
When I've delivered training I will have used materials suggested/proscribed by my organisation and then supplemented this with not just my own material but often other material I've found elsewhere that I thought was appropriate.

That's what I actually assumed when I read the article.

Training, even in a large organisation, often depends partly on the individual trainer.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-May-21 19:34:33

But I agree with this Maggie

the be less white statement was just a rather heavy-handed and attention grabbing way of saying that we should strive to be more aware of white privilege and racial bias that exists in every society. I doubt it was meant to offend and I wouldn’t be boycotting any company who promoted that message in good faith.

Alegrias1 Sat 29-May-21 19:49:56

The course in question was available on LinkedIn Learning.

LinkedIn Learning is an online platform where many, many different kinds of training courses are published by many, many providers.

Coca Cola most probably had a corporate agreement with LinkedIn that allowed their employees to access all the courses.

One of the courses, nothing to do with Coke, had the offending phrase in it.

Somebody complained. LinkedIn took the course down.

Bunch of Conservatives in the US got wind of it and stirred up a storm in a teacup.

Sago Sat 29-May-21 20:10:32

It’s very woke.
However Coca Cola is a disgusting drink that should be banned.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-May-21 21:52:44

What is very woke Sago?

Lucca Sat 29-May-21 22:42:46

NotSpaghetti

What is very woke Sago?

It’s a misprint. Should be very coke.

Sarnia Sun 30-May-21 11:06:11

When I had a kidney stone removed, the doctor said he would like to ban Coca-Cola. Might just as well drink battery acid in his opinion. Never touched it since.

JaneJudge Sun 30-May-21 11:13:41

how much were you drinking Sarnia?

It is very good for getting rid of bad headaches, two paracetamol and a can of full sugar coke or pepsi and it really shifts it.

nanna8 Sun 30-May-21 11:56:47

Since my daughter used it to clean her bike I went right off the filthy stuff.

Kamiso Sun 30-May-21 12:16:39

Last time I drank coke was in the 60s in Greece on holiday.

We buy one full fat large coke and one diet version if the children come to us at Christmas and when it’s gone it’s gone.

I gave up trying to be less white years ago. If I sit in the sun, I burn, the burn fades and I am lily white again! Is there an official body I can apologise to??

Now my OH finds me a shaded spot and I just read and snooze the day away! Hopefully can repeat the exercise before too long.

Pammie1 Sun 30-May-21 14:41:24

My sources were the articles in the Independent and the Guardian and also some online news services reporting the incident in the US. The training video was circulated to Coke staff and was seen by a YouTuber who blew the whistle after seeing the content. The phrasing they used included ‘be less oppressive, be less ignorant, be less white, thus aligning those negative traits with being white. The training course was posted online by LinkedIn who later gave a statement saying that the course had been removed from their website after a request from a ‘third party’. I have no problem with the sentiment but I do have a problem with the insulting language used, especially on discovering that Dr DiAngelo’s interviews were edited by Coca Cola without either her knowledge or permission, and used for their own ends.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 15:07:56

My understanding from reading round this on my American websites is that the "Linkedin" training platform was linked (amongst others) to the actual training in order to provide additional material on a range of issues including diversity and race.

The person "whistleblowing" Karlyn Borysenko, is an activist who supports banning critical race theory. The company training was not using this language.

The course is not a Coca-Cola exclusive as it is available to any company that pays for the LinkedIn training platform. There are about 21,000 people on the learning platform.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 15:08:34

I also don't like the language btw

Alegrias1 Sun 30-May-21 15:24:03

From Ms Borysenko's twitter.

AmberSpyglass Sun 30-May-21 15:52:12

Reverse racism doesn’t exist.

greenlady102 Sun 30-May-21 16:36:22

NotSpaghetti

I hope you don't mean me Maggie when you say some took it as:

proof positive that Coca Cola employees were not told to look at this training video

Because some trainers probably did tell people to look at it. The article says that they weren't directed to it by Coca Cola.
When I've delivered training I will have used materials suggested/proscribed by my organisation and then supplemented this with not just my own material but often other material I've found elsewhere that I thought was appropriate.

That's what I actually assumed when I read the article.

Training, even in a large organisation, often depends partly on the individual trainer.

gosh I hope you didn't use proscribed material, that would be a sacking offence.

Sago Sun 30-May-21 16:41:19

It’s very woke to be “ less white “ in training videos.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 23:34:38

greenlady gosh I hope you didn't use proscribed material, that would be a sacking offence...

Ha ha! What a great typo that is!!
Thanks for spotting it!

Witzend Sun 06-Jun-21 08:23:49

Does anyone else remember the Dasani debacle? IIRC it was a Coca-Cola brand of bottled water due to be launched shortly in the U.K.

Except that it never was, after the revelation that the water came out of a bog standard tap in Sidcup.
I’ve seen it on sale in other countries, though.

vegansrock Sun 06-Jun-21 11:06:03

Coca Cola is horrible and definitely boycott it, but not because of the reasons given in the OP.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Jun-21 11:07:17

witzend
yes full of spunk

????

www.mashed.com/193457/the-real-reason-you-cant-buy-dasani-water-in-the-uk/

alchemilla Sun 20-Jun-21 21:39:53

Just dont drink the product. I thought it was great that Ronaldo moved the sponsor Coca Cola off his table when he was doing a press conference. And said just drink water.

the fact most people are using it to clean toilets says enough.

And hats off to the footballer who removed a sponsored alcohol off his press table too.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 21:57:48

And hats off to the footballer who removed a sponsored alcohol off his press table too. It was alcohol free beer. Never quite seen the point but that's what it was. They need to be careful though, These drink companies pay millions to be sponsors of these tournaments. And these footballers get paid millions, partially by these sponsors. They've been told to stop doing it now.

www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/06/17/europe-soccer-players-told-not-to-move-drinks-at-press-conferences-after-cristiano-ronaldos-coca-cola-snub/?sh=657639b821b8

NotSpaghetti Mon 21-Jun-21 22:57:17

Talullah - technically it’s “alcohol free” but in fact Heineken 0.0 does contain about 0.05% alcohol.
As this non-alcoholic beer is made from the same process as regular beer, Heineken has now clarified “that Heineken 0.0 is strictly for non-Muslims” On their website they also say it’s not for children.

Paul Pogba Is a practicing Muslim. I think it was right he moved it.

Eloethan Tue 22-Jun-21 00:31:42

It's obviously not a great slogan because nobody understands what it means.

It's a drink packed with sugar and, some say, designed to be addictive. Many other brands of drink are also under the ownership of Coca Cola - Innocent, for instance. It's really quite alarming how some of these huge corporations have swallowed up smaller competitors, often very quietly so that people are unaware of the actual owners.