Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being too sensitive

(59 Posts)
Mattsmum2 Mon 31-May-21 22:01:23

I always thought I was a generous soul, giving presents to my brothers side of the family. When he and I had children we agreed that we wouldn’t buy for each other and would do so for the children. Then when the children were adults it reverted to cards unless it was a special birthdays such as 21st or 30th where I contributed too. When my brother had a special birthday I spent quite a bit on him, when I had a special birthday I got a £20 pen, that broke soon after. Now he has three grandchildren that I have bought gifts on their birth, birthdays and Christmas. He attended a family meal for my children when they celebrated milestone birthdays, they got a card only. I’ve mentioned this to my mum but I doubt she said anything to him. I’ve got to the stage now where I live on a pension and have to watch the pennies, so I want to stop gifting to my great nieces and nephews, but feel guilty and wonder what they will think? I’m also about to become a grandmother and I doubt he will gift anything. Am I right to stop? Or should it not matter of the fairness of it all?

Bijou Wed 02-Jun-21 17:02:31

Just after the war my sister and I were very hard up so we made a pact not to give presents. This continued but on her eightieth birthday she had a big family party so I did give her a present. I do send money for my great grandchildren now and they do thank me and tell me they are putting it in their savings.
The fact that one does not give presents does not mean you do not love them.

oodles Wed 02-Jun-21 17:04:02

Anyone who feels obligated but can't see how to stop well gifts do not have to be big or expensive. A nice bar of chocolate perhaps might be appreciated or a comic if its a child, or knit a little bag or a tiny Teddy. Felt pens and a colouring book maybe. Sometimes a small well thought out gift is more enjoyed than an expensive one that is not thoughtful. At Christmas maybe a Christmas decoration.
And actually that applies to anyone of any age, something cheap that I enjoy is better than an expensive bit of clutter

Eloethan Wed 02-Jun-21 18:05:22

I think it would seem a bit odd if you suddenly stopped giving presents.

As others have said, it was your choice to buy more expensive presents but perhaps now is the time, especially as you are possibly on a limited income, to buy modest gifts rather than spending a lot of money. Personally, I think a nice card to more distant relatives is sufficient.

Alis52 Wed 02-Jun-21 19:36:52

If you expect your giving to be reciprocated & matched then it’s a transaction not an act of generosity. Your brother has made it very clear that he doesn’t regard gift giving as important as you do so I don’t understand why you’ve carried on like this for so long. Just stop.

Nanananana1 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:04:18

We seemed to have reached a good situation in our (ever growing) family as no-one has much money to throw around so IF we are going to see the person near their birthday or at Christmas we take a home made gift. If we don't see them , they just get a card
I have had some lovely little presents from my nieces, all hand made and so clever

I am a stitcher so they all get make-up bags, shoppers, scrunchies or drinks mats. I am working on a painted terracotta pots for Christmas this year. One niece always makes gorgeous truffles and another scented candles, the boyfriend made wooden dishes and another grows plants

We all enjoy seeing what everyone has been up to and know that no-one is out of pocket or feels embarrassed that they can't keep up

Shropshirelass Thu 03-Jun-21 09:28:22

I would stop. I have always restricted who I give things too as it can get out of hand. I never gave my brother and sister presents but did for the children when they were small. (I don’t get on with my sister anyway so why give her anything!). My DM is almost 100 and has only recently stopped giving to all and sundry - I managed to get her to agree to stop except for her GGC. She never had a thank you from them and they rarely visited or contacted her so why should she keep giving? I give when I feel the occasion warrants it but not otherwise. They probably think I am mean but I don’t care!

Eskay10 Sat 05-Jun-21 21:25:56

I gradually stopped giving to my nieces but then it all started up again when they had families and I was then giving to the great nieces. However, never a phone call or a an email thank you from anyone for birthday or Christmas, and never even a birthday card for me, their only aunt. Leaves you feeling a bit grumpy about the whole situation.

BlueRuby Sat 12-Jun-21 09:29:33

Now that the charity shops are open go browse for small gifts. Living on a very restricted amount of money is challenging when it comes to presents. Set a limit - say up to £5 - and think ahead for presents. Keep a "gift box" ready and store them until it's time to give them. This not only means you buy something someone wants, at a price you can afford, but it also supports the charity you buy from. And gives you a day out! I have bought very lovely things over the years for family and friends. A couple of friends and I have done this for years, and it's always a lovely surprise at Christmas and birthdays to see what they've collected for me over the year. Wrapped in pretty tissue and given in a pretty gift bag it's a delight. They are often brand new, even the baby clothes, or in extremely good condition. Pieces of pretty china or glass, Denby bits and pieces that I know someone collects, games and puzzles, lego, books .... No-one need know, or you can tell people about your exceptional and thoughtful approach. No-one has ever turned their noses up at what I've given them: it saves a heap of money, provides a bit of fun while browsing and supports good causes. Going digital, you could ask people to set up "wish lists" on Amazon and choose something from that to give them, then you know in advance what they cost. Good luck with what you decide! I'll be sticking to my charity shop treasures!