Gransnet forums

AIBU

Young girls wearing next to nothing on the beach

(80 Posts)
Soroptimum Mon 14-Jun-21 15:10:55

Just spent a week in a lovely holiday flat overlooking Poole harbour and a beach. Excellent weather so lots of young folk out enjoying the sun, especially this Saturday. But! I was quite shocked at some of the girls’ clothing. EXTREMELY small bikinis that left nothing to the imagination, not just on the beach but in the supermarkets etc. The young men were ok - shorts a T shirts mostly. What if they’d been wearing budgie smugglers!!! Now I’m not prudish by ant means, but I found it quite uncomfortable. AIBU?

AmberSpyglass Sun 20-Jun-21 22:21:39

Why does wearing a bikini mean you don’t respect yourself? I’m confused.

alchemilla Sun 20-Jun-21 21:22:17

I don't care what small children wear on the beach providing they have proper sun care. I think it's ludicrous seeing baby girls in bikinis - that's sexualising them.

I do object to topless men off the beach and ditto women in bikinis. Doesn't take much to throw on a shirt or top.

sandelf Sun 20-Jun-21 19:25:57

Beach - Bare if you wish (but I will be looking away). Elsewhere, cover your trunk at least. I wish lasses had respect for themselves. I believe it would result in them being treated better - but then I'm a rules girl (now).

timetogo2016 Sun 20-Jun-21 19:12:02

I think some have missed my point,but whatever AmberSpyGlass and Mollygo.

Puzzler61 Sun 20-Jun-21 17:16:39

What has happened to sarongs? When I was in my 30’s and ever since I have had sarongs to go with bikini’s or swimsuits so that when I went from the pool or beach for an ice cream, or to a restaurant for lunch I covered up with a sarong.
I suppose they are not fashionable now?

AGAA4 Sun 20-Jun-21 17:07:03

My 15 year old GD was harassed by a much older man. She was wearing short shorts and a skimpy top as it was a hot day. So it was her fault he thought it was ok to make sexual comments and scare her. Some seem to think so.

The police seemed to think the fault was his when she reported it.

Mollygo Sun 20-Jun-21 15:16:14

AmberSpyglass thanks for reporting. It is a revolting comment and unfortunately, it’s still used as an excuse for abusive behaviour by males against females. It’s not acceptable. Saying someone deserves to be attacked because of what they wear or how they look doesn’t just involve scantily clad girls. Remember Sophie Lancaster.
If you dress minimally, beautifully, scruffily or whatever, people will comment, with compliments or negatively. That happens. Even on GN we post our opinions on how people look but attacking is another level.

JaneJudge Sun 20-Jun-21 13:51:35

I have brought this up before but women with learning disabilities are much more likely to be sexually abused by men than women without LDs. It really has F all to do with clothing.

AmberSpyglass Sun 20-Jun-21 13:30:01

timetogo2016

* hence why some people get sexually abused because they can`t think of the consequences.
If you dress provocatively there could be consequences.
And there has been in the past.*

What a revolting comment. I’ve reported it. How DARE you say the reason people are sexually assaulted is because of what they’re wearing? People get sexually abused because men (and it’s mostly men) think they have a right to someone else’s body. This is victim-blaming at its lowest. I’m genuinely shocked.

nanna8 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:14:06

grandtanteJE65

As far as I am concerned they can wear as little or as much as they please on the beach, or nothing at all.

But in the streets and the shops is a different matter. There I would be tempted to ask them if someone had stolen their clothes while they were swimming.

Love it. Quite right,too. No respect some people. Actually I can’t remember the last time I saw someone underdressed in the streets with all this Covid business. More concern if they don’t have a mask on their face, never mind their bums and boobs!

Pavane Sun 20-Jun-21 12:59:28

At 84, I wish I could be elderly at 60+

My boyfriend at 92 picked up some takeout for us last night. He was full of indignation when he returned because the girl in front of him had nude colored tight knit pants and according to him she didn’t have on underwear. I laughed and told him that she probably had a thong on and it is amazing, we never get too old to look. ?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:36:19

As far as I am concerned they can wear as little or as much as they please on the beach, or nothing at all.

But in the streets and the shops is a different matter. There I would be tempted to ask them if someone had stolen their clothes while they were swimming.

Ali08 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:12:32

Haha Gramaretto
That would be me, too. Altho others can wear the skimpy stuff. I prefer to see a bit of class rather than too much flesh!

Ali08 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:05:11

I watched a video on YT earlier and it was synchronized swimming. 8 young women, very good at their swimming, but the bottom half of their swimming costumes may as well not have been there, they were cut that high!!
Now, I have a 30 year old daughter, a 25 year old and of course I see their friends and I'm thankful that they all wear 'comfortable' clothes that reveal just enough but not too much!!
There is FAR TOO MUCH flesh on display these days - and I used to wear mini skirts that I didn't dare bend over in!!!
I don't expect anyone to be wearing the old Victorian swimsuits ?? altho they would cause some chatter on the beaches, but having some respect for themselves and others would be good!
Especially in food shops!! Around here, Thanet in Kent, they're expected to be decently covered in shops!

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Jun-21 13:10:30

Beechnut would’ve been about 1988…small world!

timetogo2016 Wed 16-Jun-21 13:05:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueSky Wed 16-Jun-21 10:29:44

All this should of course apply strictly to the beach. ?

Mollygo Wed 16-Jun-21 09:55:16

No it’s not body shaming or ageism.
If you are happy with how you look or feel, wear it.
We’ve seen with the comments since the OP, that other people will have opinions about how you look and what others think you should be wearing, whether you are a young girl, Mary Beard or Jill Biden.

BlueSky Wed 16-Jun-21 09:27:07

Nanna8 not meant to you personally but many people feel that way, especially when it comes to women, men too but it’s often overlooked. If you are large or over whatever age and can’t stand one piece bathing suits, then go ahead. If people don’t like what they see it’s their problem!

nanna8 Wed 16-Jun-21 09:17:46

Age doesn’t figure, by the way, but the figure figures.

nanna8 Wed 16-Jun-21 09:16:50

I just knew that I would get a comment about body shaming. I don’t like big hairy guts on men, either. What a shame. My bad but that is how I feel. We must agree to disagree because I won’t be changing my mind.

love0c Wed 16-Jun-21 09:15:04

I have just returned form a lovely week staying at the Haven in Sandbanks. Didn't even really notice what people were wearing. I just enjoyed wearing my bikini again! ha ha. As regards to being in the shops, only tesco for a few bits, I struggle to see properly with the flipping mask we have to wear!

honeyrose Wed 16-Jun-21 09:13:19

timetogo2016

I read today that Weatherspoons told two young females to leave the premises as they were showing too much flesh,and i totaly agree.
Modesty has gone out of the window imo, and yet if these youg women had unwanted advances made at them ,they would be the first to cry sexual harrasment and more.
I don`t want to see their body and i don`t like the fact very young boys also see them,it sends the wrong messages out imo.

Totally agree. Also, the bum seems to be the new cleavage now. Or rather cleavage and bum on display. I think some of these young girls are “asking for trouble” as my mother used to say. I know a lot of you may disagree with me on this, but many girls don’t seem to leave anything to the imagination any more.

BlueSky Wed 16-Jun-21 09:04:29

If it’s OK for thin young things to wear
bikinis then it’s OK for not so young and slim ones to do so. You wear a bikini because you feel comfortable in it, not to show off your figure. Ageism and body shaming come to mind! ?

nanna8 Wed 16-Jun-21 02:16:42

Even here at the beach you wouldn’t go into a shop in bathers normally. They let it all hang out some of the young ones. Literally. Nothing worse than a big fat gut hanging over bikini bottoms.