Gransnet forums

AIBU

to resent the census requiring details of employer from years ago

(133 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Tue 22-Jun-21 10:07:02

In 2011 and 2021 the census required, on pain of £1000 fine if not done, everyone not in employment but who have ever had paid employment (their bold type) to write down the name and address of their most recent employer, regardless of how long ago it was, maybe many decades.

The letter, that included the part about being fined, ended with Yours sincerely Sir name.

So anybody made redundant or losing their job unfairly has, for the rest of their life it now seems, to be shackled in the census to an employer, as if they are not a free person but just "allowed to have their time".

I felt quite resentful about this and wonder if others do too.

I cannot understand how that information about most recent employment many years ago is in any way needed for the supposed reason for the census of planning for the future.

Someone might have lost a good job through redundancy and then, doing their best to support themselves and any dependents they might have by taking whatever job they could get, so now they are branded with that job.

Someone made redundant due to the pandemic then needed to write down the name and address of the former employer.

This was not an optional census question.

It seems like bureaucracy gone into an Orwellian nightmare.

MawBe Thu 24-Jun-21 21:21:08

WHAT have we done to have Eurovision inflicted on us? ???

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 21:23:43

Don't think so AmberSpyglass; ElderlyPerson has posted before and has started a couple of other threads, so no trolling.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 22:17:46

Elderly person is on another thread extolling the virtues of
Veganism, which brings inner peace…this is not apparent however on this thread

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 22:48:41

Definitely not!

Best avoided then.

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Jun-21 23:21:59

chewbacca I know, it just seems…. Forced? Like a cliche?

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 23:34:51

Completely agree with you AmberSpyglass! Takes all sorts though eh? grin

ElderlyPerson Fri 25-Jun-21 02:07:13

I am not trolling, this is entirely genuine.

In hindsight I am thinking that instead of asking AIBU, to seek an answer, perhaps I should have just started a thread saying "I am upset and hurting, I feel powerless about it. Is there anybody out there willing to listen to what I want to rant about and be sympathetic please."