Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be fed up about heating on in late June grrr

(110 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:54:36

rain and more rain- and today had to put the heating on! Flaming June they said.

Kali2 Thu 01-Jul-21 20:14:28

Callistemon

It was so warm in the garden today we had to retreat indoors.

yes, ti was lovely at lunchtime in semi-shade at one of our favourite pubs, with friends. We had to wait till late afternoon to sit out here.

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 09:23:32

Sun here this morning! (SW London)
And the thermometer outside the kitchen window says 24 deg.
It’s been largely grey, damp and chilly for quite a while though - I put the heating on for a couple of hours last night.

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 18:01:02

It was so warm in the garden today we had to retreat indoors.

M0nica Wed 30-Jun-21 17:34:58

I think the problem is that last year weather was more varied, we had more hot days, more sunlit days. On Easter Sunday we sat out in the sun in short sleeves.

This year has been unremittingly cold and wet with day after day of heavy cloud and that kind of weather is mentally exhausting.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Jun-21 11:24:28

We’re on 17 at the moment, forecast 20. A year ago it was 18, I suppose that’s why I feel it’s ‘normal’.

M0nica Wed 30-Jun-21 11:05:52

Jaxjacky you temperatures are higher than slightly north of the M4, but coastal weather is usually milder than inland.

Howjado Wed 30-Jun-21 09:04:22

Sorry, posted too soon. Temperature was 45C

Howjado Wed 30-Jun-21 09:03:14

The temperature, in the shade, on my sister’s deck yesterday in British Columbia.

sodapop Wed 30-Jun-21 08:39:04

Loving it, cool and cloudy with low temperatures. I'm in the hate the heat and summer camp. Definitely would not want to be in Canada or America at the moment.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Jun-21 08:35:14

Maybe not ‘normal’ MOnica but not unprecedented, therefore, to me anyway, not surprising.

Deamondseed Wed 30-Jun-21 08:34:05

Blankie on my knees and cardi on

M0nica Wed 30-Jun-21 07:49:54

It is the endless unbroken cloud that gets me down, it is depressing. Jaxjacky you may consider this a normal summer but I have never had hypothermia in June before, nor have I experienced the heating coming on every morning, which it has been for the last couple of weeks.

I know that is partly due to building work, but even then I do not remember heating being on after mid-May in the past.

Witzend Wed 30-Jun-21 07:31:32

Me too, MaggieMaybe. Soaring heatwaves coupled with severe drought, and real fears of yet more wildfires.

On the two occasions we’ve visited Australia they’ve been in the grip of drought, too. What can you do when it just - doesn’t- rain?? ?

ayse Wed 30-Jun-21 07:09:48

In the NE the weather has generally been lovely this month, unlike May that was really grey, cold and miserable. The heating is on a timer and thermostat and comes on when the temperature drops. It’s like that all year as I feel the cold.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be in Canada or California right now. It would be too hot even for me.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 07:01:17

Esspee

Whitewavemark2

esspee too much whisky???

I never drink the stuff Whitewave. When I was wee and my teeth were coming in my dad used to rub my gums with the stuff. I associate the taste of whisky with pain.
Temp right now is 28.2C and I'm looking up the loch at the beauty of the Scottish Highlands.

That looks totally glorious.

Rain yesterday here and totally dull all day forecast for today. I am on the south coast, well the South Downs actually. I can’t remember such a prolonged dull period.

Friend in Canada struggling in 47c though and lots of deaths - mostly elderly who can’t cope. So I’ve decided not to moan.

BigBertha1 Wed 30-Jun-21 06:49:12

If I'm cold the heating goes on. The date is irrelevant.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Jun-21 21:34:13

Chewbacca 14 in S Hants, it’s been cloudy, odd spots of rain today, I consider it normal for Britain in June.

Chewbacca Tue 29-Jun-21 21:25:44

Where are you Chewy...Tobago? ?

I wish Lemon! grin

Just Cheshire unfortunately. But it's been absolutely lovely here today and now we've got a beautiful sunset too!

Blondiescot Tue 29-Jun-21 20:46:35

I dread to think how high some of your heating bills must be! I rarely feel the cold - just as well as I remember when growing up, there was frequently ice on the inside of our windows as well as outside. I still live in the same house, but we do at least have central heating now (and double glazing), but I couldn't afford to have it on all the time like some of you seem to. If my kids complained it was cold, they got told to stick anothr jumper on. No wonder people get ill when their houses are so overheated!

olliebeak Tue 29-Jun-21 20:15:32

My C/H kicked in automatically a couple of days ago - I had such a surprise when I touched the warm radiator while walking past it confused shock

Callistemon Tue 29-Jun-21 20:09:01

Is this the worst summer? I can’t remember one quite this awful.
I can, Lilyflower.

I hope you feel better soon, back pain and/or sciatica is a misery, isn't it.

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 19:56:45

Chewbacca

It's been a hot and sunny day here today; full sunshine and blue skies since early morning. French doors and all windows are open wide in the house and a parasol up in the garden to provide a little shade. We've had a picnic lunch at the lake and tea as a picnic in the garden. It's been lovely! ?⛱

Where are you Chewy...Tobago??

Kali2 Tue 29-Jun-21 19:48:45

Sun is out, wind has dropped, and doors wide opened- heating definitely off now.

Alioop Tue 29-Jun-21 18:21:41

It's boiling here in N.Ireland, I need cool air rather than heating. I live in a bungalow and can't even leave the bloomin windows open at night and feel like lying outdoors on my garden furniture.

Chewbacca Tue 29-Jun-21 18:06:42

It's been a hot and sunny day here today; full sunshine and blue skies since early morning. French doors and all windows are open wide in the house and a parasol up in the garden to provide a little shade. We've had a picnic lunch at the lake and tea as a picnic in the garden. It's been lovely! ?⛱