Gransnet forums

AIBU

Afraid to speak out.

(192 Posts)
ExD Fri 02-Jul-21 09:58:04

I'm beginning to feel how I imagine German people felt when Hitler came to power, I'm afraid to speak of my feelings.
Emmerdale and Corrie both force fed us 'gay' propaganda this last week in a blatant attempt to make same sex love the new norm.
Whatever you say - it's not the way the majority of the population behave (though many do) and although I'm content for people to follow their natural inclinations in this department - why do TV programmers force feed it to us?
I mean, how many gays can one village (or street) contain as a percentage?
I know I'll be shot down for being homophobic, but I don't feel I dare criticise this policy - which makes me uneasy. I feel the Thought Police are here, and soon our neighbours and family will be encouraged to inform on those who speak out.
This is not an invitation for you to sling mud at me and call me a horrible person, although you can if you wish, I'd seriously like to know how many other people felt uncomfortable with the storylines, and the self congratulatory trend of the writers.

Lilmags Tue 13-Jul-21 22:53:34

Hi NanKate. I do understand, and don’t worry, you don’t sound homophobic. It concerns me that people are still stuck in the way of thinking that they were taught 50 years ago and make no effort to be more understanding.

Callistemon Tue 13-Jul-21 15:32:50

I know I was shocked at first seeing men or women kissing each other but now there’s no problem

I'm not shocked but just not particularly in other people's sex lives.

Callistemon Tue 13-Jul-21 15:31:41

Lilmags

Why should gay men kissing in a soap cross a line for some people? What is it about seeing two people of the same sex sharing a kiss? I can’t understand why that would have any bearing on your life.

I'm not particularly keen on seeing people of different sexes sharing a snog on TV either.

"Go and get a room" comes to mind!

NanKate Tue 13-Jul-21 14:28:40

I think the answer Lilmags from my own perspective is that many of us were brought up to think that homosexuality was wrong, however in the 1960s attitudes changed and gay people could ‘come out’ and be the people they wanted to be without free of prosecution or being abused and I am all for that.

However it can take years for some people to change their beliefs and for them to realise we have moved on and being gay is nothing to be ashamed of, it’s the new norm.

I know I was shocked at first seeing men or women kissing each other but now there’s no problem. Some of us just need time to get used to what life is like now.

I do hope I have explained this so that I don’t get accused of being homophobic, which I am not.

Lilmags Tue 13-Jul-21 13:20:51

Why should gay men kissing in a soap cross a line for some people? What is it about seeing two people of the same sex sharing a kiss? I can’t understand why that would have any bearing on your life.

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 10:17:53

If they are in their living rooms on Corra it is in private

???

I don't know how to answer that!!

fairlyplump Sat 10-Jul-21 09:06:22

I agree with you 100%

Whatdayisit Wed 07-Jul-21 05:07:48

Callistemon

^So seeing anyone kissing anyone - gender, race, religion, non-binary - at 7.30pm while everybody is watching just helps people see how normal everything is.^

But don't most people in RL do their snogging in private?

If they are in their living rooms on Corra it is in private. And no - in the street, in the pub, nightclubs, on meeting, on parting, just being happy to be together - all reasons for a public pucker up.

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 21:43:42

So seeing anyone kissing anyone - gender, race, religion, non-binary - at 7.30pm while everybody is watching just helps people see how normal everything is.

But don't most people in RL do their snogging in private?

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 21:41:31

Alegrias1

I had to google it Call and yes, its that Alan Freeman,

In a way its good I didn't know, because it doesn't matter. But in another, I hope that doesn't mean that he had to keep it secret.

I can't say I thought about his sexuality at all.

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 21:39:58

Two great posts muffinthemoo. Hats off to you !

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 21:37:41

Kandinsky

Not at all Lucca.
Of course there’s always been gay people on TV, the vast majority openly gay, but we’re talking about a soap where gay men are kissing, that crosses a line for some people.
So trying to compare the wonderful Larry Grayson to gay men kissing in soaps is a bit crass.

Do you mind if a man and a woman are shown kissing ?

PaperMonster Tue 06-Jul-21 21:23:58

Well said MuffinMoo

As a child, I used to watch two men share a bed on Saturday night TV, so why people need smelling salts 40 years later about the odd kiss, I’ve no idea hmm

Whatdayisit Tue 06-Jul-21 20:53:27

I uses to hate kissing on corra as a child possibly as there wasn't a father in our house so it wasn't a normal thing for me to see.
So seeing anyone kissing anyone - gender, race, religion, non-binary - at 7.30pm while everybody is watching just helps people see how normal everything is.

Whatdayisit Tue 06-Jul-21 20:50:06

Thankyou muffin. I hope the same too.

Doodledog Tue 06-Jul-21 20:36:02

Well said, muffinthemoo!

muffinthemoo Tue 06-Jul-21 20:19:58

I hope that some day, people will be able to be shown kissing a consensual adult partner of their choice at 7.30pm, regardless of that partner’s race, gender, disability status, or anything else that makes our very existence “crass” and “insulting” or “offends” people.

I hope that some day we all are accepted as real people with real feelings and real relationships, and not kept as sexless circus turns hosting game shows.

I hope some day not to disgust and insult people by the unchangeable fact of how I was born. I am sorry I am intrinsically offensive, despite living as a straight person. I didn’t choose to be how I am, and I have never hurt anyone by it either. I promise you, it would have been a lot easier to be born straight, and if I could change who I am, I would in an instant. I was raised in an environment that did not allow me to accept myself for me. I don’t ever want that for any other young person.

I hope that mine is the very last generation that didn’t have the right to a spouse and (adopted) children under the law because the chosen life partner was the ‘wrong’ gender.

I hope some day, the closet goes the way of jail and chemical castration and all the indignities heaped upon people like Alan Turing because he didn’t know how to pretend to be someone else.

I want young LGBT people to grow up without shame for just being who they are. I want us not to have to hide who we are and who we love anymore.

It seems like so little. Then some days I remember that for some folk, it is still too much to give us. I hope to live long enough to see that change.

Alegrias1 Tue 06-Jul-21 20:12:41

Agreed Galaxy.

Galaxy Tue 06-Jul-21 20:01:48

I agree that it shouldn't be relevant but it is if people complain about gay men kissing on soaps whilst being happy about straight people kissing on soaps. Then it is relevant.

Alegrias1 Tue 06-Jul-21 20:00:48

I had to google it Call and yes, its that Alan Freeman,

In a way its good I didn't know, because it doesn't matter. But in another, I hope that doesn't mean that he had to keep it secret.

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 19:56:59

Really?
Alan Freeman, DJ in Tasmania, wore fluffy jumpers so gained the nickname Fluff.
On Radio Luxembourg which I used to listen to on my transistor radio, hidden under the bed clothes so Mum couldn't hear it!
He had such a lovely voice.

Alegrias1 Tue 06-Jul-21 19:52:45

muffinthemoo wins the internet ???

Alan Freeman bless him, I didn't know.

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 19:49:20

I see the OP hasn’t been back to defend their views.

I'm not surprised.
As one of our older Gransnetters, ExD may well have been frightened away by some of the posts.

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 19:45:15

Galaxy

No that wasnt what I was saying. I was pointing out that Larry Grayson was only acceptable on TV because he wasnt open about being gay, whilst at the same time being very camp, it's always been a very odd contradiction. So he and others like him had to hide who he was (whilst not hiding at allsmile) because people cant cope with reality.

But everyone knew and no-one made an issue about it.

Likewise with so many other people in muffin's list and others.

Likewise no-one made an issue about other comedians/celebrities who were/are heterosexual.

They just were/are people.
It shouldn't be relevant.

Blossoming Tue 06-Jul-21 19:12:38

So gay men will only exist if they’re in Coronation Street?

Said nobody ever.

I see the OP hasn’t been back to defend their views.