Gransnet forums

AIBU

Drove over my flowerbed

(66 Posts)
Caleo Mon 05-Jul-21 12:51:47

My son was nearly ready to leave my place. We were on the front drive and I showed him my clover patch and how it was so pretty. A few minutes later he drove over the middle of my clover (and a few other wild flowers). With a little care and patience he could easily have avoided the flower patch.
I don't mind him teasing me about my liking for what he calls weeds, but this was too much and I am disappointed and annoyed.

Theoddbird Tue 06-Jul-21 11:22:04

I would be moving his stuff out right now. Lack of respect for you....

Daisend1 Tue 06-Jul-21 11:24:13

Clearly has no respect for you. Do you have other children ?as 'son' needs putting in his place and his sibling/s are the one to stand by you and put their ' bro' in his place ?

knspol Tue 06-Jul-21 11:29:49

Surely it was just an accident. He probably doesn't even realise he's done it, why not just ask him??

Aepgirl Tue 06-Jul-21 11:31:23

Has he apologised? If not, I assume that he did it on purpose and you should let him know you are not pleased with his behaviour. You don’t say how old he is, but as he can drive he is old enough to know right from wrong.

JulieMM Tue 06-Jul-21 11:32:40

Get some acrylic paints and decorate rocks and pebbles - you could include one that politely says keep off my wild flowers. If you have young grandchildren or nieces and nephews they’ll enjoy helping you.

H1954 Tue 06-Jul-21 11:40:21

What a spiteful, despicable thing to do! He knew the flowers, wild or not, were there and he knew you were proud of them yet he chose to deliberately drive be over them, bloody moron!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 06-Jul-21 11:41:49

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone complaining about their son being kind to the cat!

But to return to OP - tell your son you were cross about him driving over the patch of clover you had just told him you liked.

Stop walking on egg-shells round people just because they help you. You have thank him for his help; you are entitled to point incidents that displease you out.

Newatthis Tue 06-Jul-21 12:06:06

Very nasty thing to do. Big rocks and street parking in the future!

Tanjamaltija Tue 06-Jul-21 12:31:05

You pointed out the flowers. so he knew where they were. He feels entitled, because he helps you, and thinks you would not dare tell him off... because he is an adult, and because he will pout and refuse to help, next time. Well, if you have to pay for whatever it is he does for free, you won't have money enough to buy ingredients for his meals. It's that easy.

Nannashirlz Tue 06-Jul-21 13:26:54

I’d ground him for a week, was he laughing when he did it or was it an accident but seriously thou are you really getting upset over a few flowers which can be regrow. Life’s too short to worry about the small things in life.

3nanny6 Tue 06-Jul-21 13:37:11

Just wondering if the clover patch is in the middle of the drive where the car parks? If the patch is in the middle of the drive then it was probably an accident. If the clover patch is situated
off the drive then he done it on purpose and he is a callous
idiot that just likes to hurt your feelings. Shame on him.

Glenco Tue 06-Jul-21 13:46:54

Hmmm, Sounds rather abusive to me. He knows you need his help and feels he can treat you with less respect than he should. Make him not so nice dinners and maybe accidentally/teasingly tip one in his lap. Personally I'd have had words with him at or after the incident.

coastalgran Tue 06-Jul-21 15:52:35

Remind him that you are his mother and he is still your child and if he thought that he was being funny he wasn't.

Dibbydod Tue 06-Jul-21 15:54:20

Can’t understand why all the upset over a patch of clovers and wild flowers , as nice as they are , they grow everywhere in abundance and always spring back , that’s what wild flowers do . It’s not as if you’d gone to a local Garden Centre and bought some lovely expensive flowering bedding plants which were coming along spectacularly then he drove over them ! Now that would be bad ! !

FarNorth Tue 06-Jul-21 17:28:56

Dibbydod that's not the point - it seems like deliberate nastiness from the son.
Are you okay with that?

MamaCaz Tue 06-Jul-21 17:44:03

knspol

Surely it was just an accident. He probably doesn't even realise he's done it, why not just ask him??

That's what I thought too.

magshard20 Tue 06-Jul-21 19:48:35

Next time you make him his "nice meal", just before you serve it take a big spoon to it and destroy the lovely presentation......childish maybe, but if he asks what has happened, just say
very blasé "oh the same that happened to my clover patch, minus the wheels".

kwest Tue 06-Jul-21 21:54:53

If this provoked a row you would both be upset. If your son had an accident the flowers would not mean a thing. You have a son whom you love, let it go.

welbeck Wed 07-Jul-21 02:41:37

if you make yourself a doormat, people will walk on you.

Coolgran65 Wed 07-Jul-21 05:01:53

Just ask him without being cross. ….. Do you realise that you drove over my Clover? It was damaged.

However, I think it’s not so much about the actual Clover rather it’s was he being disrespectful.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Jul-21 05:14:59

I can’t visualise where the clover is for him to drive over it ??
Do you really think he did it on purpose if so very very mean
I think the rocks are an excellent idea

Baggs Wed 07-Jul-21 06:12:19

Dibbydod

Can’t understand why all the upset over a patch of clovers and wild flowers , as nice as they are , they grow everywhere in abundance and always spring back , that’s what wild flowers do . It’s not as if you’d gone to a local Garden Centre and bought some lovely expensive flowering bedding plants which were coming along spectacularly then he drove over them ! Now that would be bad ! !

Actually they don’t grow everywhere and in abundance. That’s the problem. That’s why people are being encouraged to let their lawns grow wild during the spring. Insects need the food that flowers even as humble as clover provide. (Humbleness aside, ifyou look closely at clover flowers they’re actually very beautiful).

Ideally, then one would let the flowers make seed and drop it so not cut the lawn during the summer season either. Unfortunately, a lot of people can’t ‘deal with’ (i.e. tolerate) what they see as the untidiness.

In purely urban settings along tidy streets, this is understandable. There’s also the problem that if your lawn grows into a big thick thatch of wild plants it’s physically difficult to mow it in the autumn. We use scythes on our wild bits, rake up the hay, and then mow mechanically.

Caleo Wed 07-Jul-21 11:21:36

Baggs, you understand it as whole problem! My son's attitude is that the clover patch does in fact look like, what admittedly most people would think was, a part of the weedy drive. But he has not been around to watch me as I pulled up the sticky willy so the buttercups, clover, and wild grasses would thrive, and how I watched over that patch literally daily with pleasure.
Also I had just pointed it out to him "Isn't my clover lovely!"

My son's lack of knowledge about wild flowers is so ingrained that he cannot believe that someone really is serious about what he called weeds.

I also have exactly the problem as you describe it with my back garden. My son cuts grass for me as I can't do it now. He complains about how he can't lawn -mow the back garden, which is like a hay field. Please would you tell me if a scythe or smaller hook is very hard work for a fit man in his 60s?

Baggs Wed 07-Jul-21 11:47:39

For a fit man in his sixties, I'd say scything would be a doddle in the average urban garden. I'm in my mid-sixties and not particularly fit (fibromyalgia and other annoyances) and can scythe a small area even on a steep slope. Doing a large area over several days is how I approach it, husband ditto.

I think a scythe would be better than a small hook (sickle). For a start, you don't have to bend down with a scythe so it's better for your back and, because it's a two-handed tool, its weight is well distributed (as well as being much lighter than a strimmer).

We have three blades and two snaths (the long wooden bit) because it means we don't have to adjust the grip handles every time if we each have our own. Two of the blades are standard meadow blades but because we live on a hill we bought a ditch blade as well. That is the one I use the most.

It's important to keep the scythe blade sharp. Grass is tough stuff.

Baggs Wed 07-Jul-21 11:50:36

PS maybe point your son in the direction of Plantlife.org: "Plantlife is the charity that raises the profile, celebrates the beauty and protects the future of our wild flowers and plants."

He doesn't have to be interested in wild plants himself to respect your interest. Good luck!