Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do we still grow British apples.

(81 Posts)
taurusmmuk Sun 11-Jul-21 22:10:42

I do my grocery shopping in all the usual places, but can’t seem to find British Apples. I think it is preposterous that I can buy apples from Brazil, Chile, South Africa and other countries but not at my local stores. I am mainly thinking of the air miles and it saddens me because I am refusing to buy foreign apples or for that matter any fruit with the possible exception of bananas because they usually come on large cargo ships.

AIBU, or am I not seeing something obvious that more business savvy people would know. ?

Witzend Thu 15-Jul-21 10:40:54

Pedwards

Well let’s face! She’s mad! We should be producing and consuming more of our own produce. I have said so for years long before Brexit or Covid, we should be more self reliant.

I agree. I can’t imagine why should we need to import so much salad stuff from the Netherlands - a small country with virtually the same climate. It’s not the same as ditto from rather warmer Spain.
I do wonder whether potential NIMBY objections to miles of polytunnels are one reason. Even parts of southern Spain have huge swathes of these.

Callistemon Thu 15-Jul-21 10:44:34

There are miles of polytunnels in Herefordshire Witzend!

Lin52 Thu 15-Jul-21 10:54:28

Oh yes and can’t wait for my visit to East Sussex to buy them fresh.

M0nica Fri 16-Jul-21 08:55:47

Have you visited East Sussex or parts of Kent, Thanet in particular, you will see miles of polytunnels.

If the Netherlands can produce salad products cheaper than us why not buy them? We have products they need that we can grow better than they can, Field crops like wheat and barley.

We were exporting grain to Europe in the Roman period (and hunting dogs and cloaks). Although I think the last two do not feature very highly in international trade these days.

HolySox Sun 18-Jul-21 14:59:26

Yes we still grow British apples. smile

If you're ever in Kent have a visit here:
www.nationalfruitcollection.org.uk/