Gransnet forums

AIBU

Noise and smoking nextvdoir

(29 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 17-Jul-21 22:22:44

I don’t think it would be the best idea to ring them it’s up to you but I doubt it will make any difference if they were thoughtful they wouldn’t be doing it and they ll probably be even louder to annoy you
Do you have another bedroom you could go to or even sleep downstairs if that’s somewhere you could get cool and comfortable
You shouldn’t have to I agree but sometimes it’s just easier to compromise than make enemies and maybe more trouble for yourself

Callistemon Sat 17-Jul-21 22:22:36

I do sympathise but don't think appealing to their better nature will work as he's now 35 and this has been going on for years.

Do his parents know he uses their house for parties when they are away? They may be unaware, if you get on well with them perhaps you could mention it to them when they return.

You could try playing classical music outside - they might retreat indoors.

Whatdayisit Sat 17-Jul-21 22:14:19

You wouldn't be unreasonable but i'm sure previous experience would tell you what is the point.

I send sympathy. Maybe you could blare some brass band music out. Good luck with sleeping. Sorry you aren't getting the peace you deserve.

Beswitched Sat 17-Jul-21 21:56:12

Really need an opinion on this. For years we had to deal with an obstreperous teenager next door having loud parties every weekend when his parents went away.
He's now 35, his parents are away and even though he doesn't live there anymore he has a group of friends in who have been there all afternoon and are still out there drinking, smoking and shouting.
I have just gone upstairs and banged my bedroom window shut because of the smell of smoke from one woman's cigarette which was blowing up into my window. I got a rally dirty indignant look.

I know from previous experience that they will be out there til all hours. The temperature has been up in the mid twenties all day and I can't sleep with the window shuy.
I've been caring for my mother who has cancer and am currently getting a few days respite.
WIBU to ring and ask if people could smoke at the back of the garden, not underneath my window and how long the noise is likely to go on for?