Gransnet forums

AIBU

People who talk about themselves all the time

(157 Posts)
Beswitched Sat 11-Sep-21 21:16:01

I know one or two people like this. No matter what the topic of conversation they turn it back to themselves and their concerns the whole time. Do people who do this have some kind of compulsion or disorder or are the just hugely lacking in awareness.

In general, the people I know who do this are quite kind beneath it all but just frustrating in their determination to bring things back to themselves all the time.

Ali08 Thu 28-Oct-21 04:21:07

Wouldn't you just love to put all of your friends like this into one hall, and wait to see what happens?
By watching it over CCTV or something, tho!
I have a very small circle of friends, by my own choosing, and gladly none of them are as bad as the friends you've all mentioned...or maybe I'm just that good at switching off! ?

Pepper59 Thu 28-Oct-21 03:08:18

I really cannot cope with overpowering people. My neighbour is one of these. I swear she lives at her back door then pounces as soon as she sees me. I carry on with the task Im doing then keep edging towards the door. The neighbour also tells far too much about herself. I tell her nothing.

Pinnywinch Wed 27-Oct-21 22:39:42

I do that quite a lot apparently. However, it’s not that I’m trying to make the conversation about me, but show that I’m listening to yours. The problem is, is that I’m neurodiverse and it’s my way of showing that I am listening.

Jezra Sat 18-Sep-21 17:23:14

Ha ha, Aveline. Maybe it’s the same person. This “friend” apparently had a problem person at work who just didn’t want to work with her and had started being rude to her after having put up with her for so long…….and she just couldn’t understand why.

kircubbin2000 Sat 18-Sep-21 15:29:18

I have a friend who bored us all to death at a dinner.She makes her stories longer by adding and repeating detail e.g. we had to get the plane, I got up in time to get the plane, I said to him what time is the flight,he went to get the ticket,he couldn't find the ticket.
She can go on for hours.
Funny thing is everyone thinks she's great. She had a shop and knew all the customers and chatted to e eryone but not a brain in her head!

Jillyjosie Sat 18-Sep-21 11:15:55

I am amazed by this thread and find myself ticking almost every story... been there....

Lilyflower your comment rang a bell with me because one of the current non stop, self obsessed talkers I know clearly suffers massive guilt about all sorts of things. So odd.

I was at a group recently where we were invited to say a little something about ourselves as an introduction. There was only one man and when it was his turn, he spoke for about 20-30 minutes giving us his entire life history from first job, marriages, girlfriends and passions through to teaching he had done and was currently doing and a list of worthy causes he supported. He stunned the rest of us into silence. Appalling man.

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 11:02:51

Jezra I once had friend who behaved like the person you were talking about. I realised almost too late that she was constantly digging at me and saying, what I realised in retrospect, were really nasty things, always with a smile and in front of others. Once I realised what was happening I just dumped her. I gather from others that she can't think why!

Newquay Sat 18-Sep-21 08:40:53

When covid started I began a list of folk for me to make I kept in touch with especially folk on their own. . .keep it in my Bible “my list of Coronials “.
Few of them have contacted me to see how we are!

Jezra Fri 17-Sep-21 23:29:47

DH “has” friends not “have.”

Jezra Fri 17-Sep-21 23:28:59

My DH have “friends.” I’d call them aquaintances but they were his friends long before we met and I’ve inherited them so to speak. The woman is pushy, opinionated, loud, talks about herself a lot, tries to tell me what to do and what I should be interested in, doesn’t like it if she is not the centre of attention, talks about her family but never asks about mine and looks at me like I’m something the cat has brought in.
If I offer up a view it is poo pooed. She has criticised my dress, my figure, you name it in a sly, underhand way. I’ve decided since Covid and lockdown that the stress of seeing them has been lifted so I’m not going to see her or invite her again. DH agrees and doesn’t want to see them either but feels loyal to his male friend and not sure what to do. I just say now that if he wants to visit them fair enough but I’m just not coming anymore. AIBU?

Lilyflower Wed 15-Sep-21 14:16:03

I read once that those who speak continuously without giving anyone else a chance to say a word are trying to fill the conversational space because they have something to hide or that they are ashamed of and do not want to be discovered.

I know two people who never pause for breath and they both have guilty 'issues'.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Sep-21 21:26:33

grin
The chat we have is more along the lines of "so, I opened the cupboard and got their food out. "Come on you fishes!" I said, and up they came going (insert fish mouth actions) I dropped a pinch in and said "There you go, you greedy things" and they did. They swam around for a little while and then up they came. Then they all swam off..... and I said "yes you greedy things, you like that, don't you?" ZZZZZZZZZZ.....

HillyN Mon 13-Sep-21 21:14:04

When my DD was little, she had a goldfish that disappeared from its tank on top of a chest of drawers in her bedroom. Couldn't find it anywhere until she opened the top drawer and there among her pants was a stiff goldfish.
I guess this makes me one of 'them'...... Sorry.

coastalgran Mon 13-Sep-21 20:23:19

We have a neighbour like this, he has to know everything and be the centre of everything. Every conversation is dominated by him and what he has done, gone through. A friend who was undergoing treatment for cancer was telling another friend about this and he turned the conversation around to when he didn't feel well, she pointed out that his illness wasn't remotely as serious as cancer and it didn't even register with him. He is so self obsessed and full of his own importance.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Sep-21 19:57:53

I think it is perhaps people who have little control in their lives, and it stems from anxiety about what they think they can keep a hold on.
It genuinely stresses my neighbour if she doesnt know where I am or what I'm doing.

Then, once she knows, it's back to her controlling the conversation.
She never used to be like this; it is since she gave up work because of health issues, although she rarely speaks about those.

Skye17 Mon 13-Sep-21 19:53:48

LauraNorder That is shocking to hear about. I’m glad you got better treatment on Gransnet.

Skye17 Mon 13-Sep-21 19:46:14

grandtanteJE65

In my experience people who do this are usually very lonely . They can be living alone, with no-one to talk to on a daily basis.

The other type who are guilty of it are the elderly who have health issues that take up their time and interest and make interacting with others harder than it formerly was.

How many of you have ever told these "friends" how self-centered their behaviour is, and how annoying or hurtful you find it?

Not many, I would think, I am sure you are all too polite to have done so. However, I was, once I had swallowed my hurt pride, grateful to a friend who many years ago told me I talked about myself in company without asking others anything about their lives.

I hope and believe that since that hint, I have remembered to ask others how they are and really listen to their replies, Perhaps we should be less hesitant to remind the "me - me- me" group that conversation is a two way street.

I agree.

garnet25 Mon 13-Sep-21 16:23:16

LauraNorder Yes I did , anyway she only takes selfies!

LauraNorder Mon 13-Sep-21 15:55:50

Garnet I hope you meant ‘talk’ and not ‘take’ as in photos from the bathroom for face book

garnet25 Mon 13-Sep-21 15:50:47

I have to say that I know a few like that who I nowadays avoid like the plague. The worst is my sister in law who also posts photos of herself on Facebook every day. Once she followed another family member to the bathroom and continued to take at her through the door.

LauraNorder Mon 13-Sep-21 15:38:22

flowers for all of you who’ve been ignored

Bazza Mon 13-Sep-21 15:37:05

I would never have a friend like this as I swerve anyone with this trait. However, if I ever get talking randomly to someone, they always seem to want to tell me their life story. I wish I had the courage to just say “bored now” and walk away.

LauraNorder Mon 13-Sep-21 15:35:50

I’ve been doing a bit of housework this morning so giving this matter quite a bit of thought.
One friend, a widow of five years, I’ve given so much support and care having learned from other widows on Gransnet how difficult Sundays are and how important a proper invitation is rather than a casual ‘call in any time’. Anyway I rang her a few weeks ago, as I do weekly, when our beautiful daughter-in-law had been told she has breast cancer. The friend banged on about her house sale problems. I then said we’d had some bad news, told her about B, and her answer was ‘oh gosh that’s awful, we’ve had some bad news too, son and his wife are splitting up’. The conversation was all about that while I stood in the kitchen with tears streaming down my face. Eventually she stopped talking, I said ‘sorry must go’ and put the phone down.
A few hours later another friend phoned, I told her our awful news, she then proceeded to tell me all about a 75 year old friend going through the same thing. B is 39. It’s not the same. She didn’t pause for breath and changed the subject, ‘must go’ cheerio.
I came on to Gransnet good morning thread and told our bad news. The outpouring of sympathy and kindness was amazing, personal messages and one particular wonderful mum shared her own story of her daughter at a similar age. She has then followed that up with tips and support and so much care.
It got me thinking about just how many have said the same on this thread, what is the difference between people on Gransnet and many in ‘real life’.
I’ve concluded that the majority on here are real life’s listeners and supporters. We come on here to be able to share our problems and our joys, be listened to, to get a word in.
For that I thank you. What a lovely lot on here.
Ooh I’ve got all soppy now. Back to flippant me.

Aveline Mon 13-Sep-21 15:34:24

crazygranny that's awful! I hope you found some help and support elsewhere.

Joesoap Mon 13-Sep-21 15:34:16

I have written earlier today but must let off steam.I have been away for three weeks on holiday, and met my neighbours a few minutes ago they didnt mention anything about my holiday, not a word but full steam ahead about their recent trip, what IS the matter with people.
Such self centred people around,it amazes me.
Sorry for the rant