Gransnet forums

AIBU

People who talk about themselves all the time

(157 Posts)
Beswitched Sat 11-Sep-21 21:16:01

I know one or two people like this. No matter what the topic of conversation they turn it back to themselves and their concerns the whole time. Do people who do this have some kind of compulsion or disorder or are the just hugely lacking in awareness.

In general, the people I know who do this are quite kind beneath it all but just frustrating in their determination to bring things back to themselves all the time.

Jillyjosie Sat 18-Sep-21 11:15:55

I am amazed by this thread and find myself ticking almost every story... been there....

Lilyflower your comment rang a bell with me because one of the current non stop, self obsessed talkers I know clearly suffers massive guilt about all sorts of things. So odd.

I was at a group recently where we were invited to say a little something about ourselves as an introduction. There was only one man and when it was his turn, he spoke for about 20-30 minutes giving us his entire life history from first job, marriages, girlfriends and passions through to teaching he had done and was currently doing and a list of worthy causes he supported. He stunned the rest of us into silence. Appalling man.

kircubbin2000 Sat 18-Sep-21 15:29:18

I have a friend who bored us all to death at a dinner.She makes her stories longer by adding and repeating detail e.g. we had to get the plane, I got up in time to get the plane, I said to him what time is the flight,he went to get the ticket,he couldn't find the ticket.
She can go on for hours.
Funny thing is everyone thinks she's great. She had a shop and knew all the customers and chatted to e eryone but not a brain in her head!

Jezra Sat 18-Sep-21 17:23:14

Ha ha, Aveline. Maybe it’s the same person. This “friend” apparently had a problem person at work who just didn’t want to work with her and had started being rude to her after having put up with her for so long…….and she just couldn’t understand why.

Pinnywinch Wed 27-Oct-21 22:39:42

I do that quite a lot apparently. However, it’s not that I’m trying to make the conversation about me, but show that I’m listening to yours. The problem is, is that I’m neurodiverse and it’s my way of showing that I am listening.

Pepper59 Thu 28-Oct-21 03:08:18

I really cannot cope with overpowering people. My neighbour is one of these. I swear she lives at her back door then pounces as soon as she sees me. I carry on with the task Im doing then keep edging towards the door. The neighbour also tells far too much about herself. I tell her nothing.

Ali08 Thu 28-Oct-21 04:21:07

Wouldn't you just love to put all of your friends like this into one hall, and wait to see what happens?
By watching it over CCTV or something, tho!
I have a very small circle of friends, by my own choosing, and gladly none of them are as bad as the friends you've all mentioned...or maybe I'm just that good at switching off! ?