Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bullies why did you do it

(147 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 14-Sep-21 22:38:39

I may Be being up reasonable here, but to those who bullied others in their past, why did you do it? Do you regret it? What was it about your life that made you need to put down others? What was it about your ‘victims’ that made them your target?

I suffered mercilessly in my youth and did not really get over it. And it has affected how I myself treat others now. I consider myself to have overcome my past, but I have my demons still.

Cuckooz Wed 15-Sep-21 11:46:50

I was bullied by an older girl who was a year or two above me at school. If she saw me walking home she’d make a beeline for me and hit me and push me around. It stopped when my mother went to speak to her mother about it. A teacher also bullied me. She pulled me in front of the class once and told the rest of the class to tell me why they thought I wasn’t a very nice person. I remember standing there dying of shame! It’s something you never forget but you have to move on from it.

nadateturbe Wed 15-Sep-21 11:52:00

Cuckooz it's hard to believe a teacher could be so horrible. That was simply awful for you.

nadateturbe Wed 15-Sep-21 12:00:28

Violetsky what a very sad existence for you. flowers

And Grannyactivist too. I was very similar to you at Senior school and felt so inferior. I didn't even have a toothbrush, but no one was cruel. That would have been so hard to cope with.

Sweetpeasue Wed 15-Sep-21 12:16:18

That's just so terrible Violetsky it's brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry and am so glad that you have caring friends and family now that can show you how precious and valued you are.
Nadateturbe I think it shows how kind a person you are to post on here about that and for it to weigh on your conscience all these years. You should forgive yourself as I don't believe you were a true bully at all.
I was bullied a little as I never fit in. Always felt odd one out and it must have shown. In fact I know it did. I still feel like that now.
Human nature can be so cruel. Thank goodness it can also be loving too.

Kate1949 Wed 15-Sep-21 12:19:03

Oh yes horrible bullying teachers. I have posted before about my first day at school aged 5. I was so frightened I wet my pants. The teacher stood me on a box and said to the class 'Look what this dirty little girl has done'.

Sara1954 Wed 15-Sep-21 12:22:53

Kate
That’s so cruel, heartbreaking.

Kate1949 Wed 15-Sep-21 12:28:48

You couldn't make it up Sara. Cruel indeed.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Sep-21 12:41:23

I've never understood though Chewbacca why someone who knows what it's like to be bullied, then becomes one.

IMO it's far worse to inflict that on someone else when you know how horrible it is to be on the receiving end.

Sweetpeasue Wed 15-Sep-21 12:41:47

To think teachers like this were given a position of power over children. Dreadful.

Sweetpeasue Wed 15-Sep-21 12:42:41

Exactly. Do as you would be done by!

nanna8 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:39:26

I have never bullied anyone. The nearest thing I have seen was when this American woman moved into our estate and none of us would talk to her because of racial prejudice. She was a white woman ,so it was prejudice against Americans rather than a colour prejudice. I feel ashamed now because she must have been so lonely in a strange country . I was in my early twenties at the time . I can’t remember any bullying at my school though it probably happened but I wasn’t aware of it.

Marilla Wed 15-Sep-21 13:58:18

I have seen bullying by adults towards their peers in schools. Some of the most unpleasant behaviour has come from teachers in the staff room who then tell the children we should respect and care for each other. Used to make my blood boil.
Nothing was ever done about the behaviour by management.
Same as urging children to report bullying to a grown up.
Yes we all know who the bullies are, but very little is done to rectify the situation with both children and adults.

Marilla Wed 15-Sep-21 14:01:45

Apologies for not actually answering the question in my response!

VioletSky Wed 15-Sep-21 14:02:41

Teachers when I was at school were totally different to now. The good ones then seemed a lot fewer.

I can't ever understand grown adults bullying children.

I work with children and often watch very closely and the children in the wrong can be the first ones to cry and say they are the ones being bullied so we have to sit down and have a long chat to unravel it all and encourage kindness to each other. Everyone's feelings matter.

Schools my younger children go to have a much lower tolerance for bullying and teachers now seem to take things much more seriously and there is a lot of emphasis placed on teaching children kindness and respect. They had a much different experience than I did where the teachers were all outside the school smoking and no one was supervising us!

nadateturbe Wed 15-Sep-21 14:20:55

Thank you for that Sweetpeasue.
We're good at forgiving others but not ourselves.
Its amazing how many of us had a hard time when young because of how we felt. I may be wrong but I think people talk and share more now and there is more aupport.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 14:27:05

I sometimes get to talk to people I was at school with on Facebook and I don’t think they have any recollection bullying me. Possibly because it was mental bullying not physical. I did, once, join in with some bullying. I can’t remember much about it or understand why I did it but I still feel ashamed of it.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Sep-21 14:50:47

It's a vicious circle. A child who is bullied by it's parents or other adults thinks, that the way to behave and to treat those that are "different to" or are "weaker than", or with whom they just don't get on with and they think that's normal behaviour because that's all they've ever known. When they get older they repeat the same behaviour patterns all over again. It takes a lot of soul searching, inner honesty and counselling to be able to recognise what they are and to rectify their learned behaviour so that they don't pass it on to another generation.

Tricia247uk Wed 15-Sep-21 15:12:03

Interestingly no bully has admitted to doing so on here yet. Maybe the answer is that they are ashamed of their behaviour hence non-admittance.

I was bullied in secondary school from girls I went to primary school with-nothing ever had happened in primary so it was all a bit mystifying anyway the bullying stopped when I turned round and thumped the ringleader.

The second time I experienced bullying was in the workplace. I was new to the environment but not to the role and I could do no right. The entire episode (spanning 18 months) left me ill and on prescription anti-depressants and signed off with stress. It only ended when I left to work elsewhere; I moved onto bigger and better things and six years later achieved a promotion level matching that of my bullying boss! Sweet!

Kate1949 Wed 15-Sep-21 15:35:42

I'm not sure about the vicious circle theory. I was an neglected, sometimes beaten child in an abusive, violent household. The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be horrible to another human being, especially a child. I never for a moment thought it was normal behaviour. It was frightening. I knew not everyone lived like that.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Sep-21 15:48:28

I agree Chewbacca it's a vicious circle.

On page one of this thread both Sara and nadateturbe have posted honestly about their own behaviour which they regret and is commendable Tricia.

Kateflowers

VioletSky Wed 15-Sep-21 16:03:07

Kate1949

I'm not sure about the vicious circle theory. I was an neglected, sometimes beaten child in an abusive, violent household. The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be horrible to another human being, especially a child. I never for a moment thought it was normal behaviour. It was frightening. I knew not everyone lived like that.

I think it can happen because my mother told me awful stories about her parents and I could see she was genuinely hurt by it.

Once I tried to say to her "you've done those things to me" and she exploded at me.

Now we are estranged she says to me in emails that she would never have estranged her parents. She did, for long periods of time. One died when I was a child and one I very rarely saw or knew.

I just think that some grow up resilient and empathetic in abusive situations and some don't.

I think what saved me was my father who was just the opposite in every way when she allowed me to see him.

Kate1949 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:11:50

VioletSky Yes I have read that abused children go on to abuse. I suppose just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's not true. I was never ambitious for my daughter. I just wanted her to be clean, well looked after and have holidays and what other children had, none of which we had. (When finances allowed). I'm sorry for what you suffered.

Sara1954 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:12:48

The funny thing is, although I can see this little girl as clearly as if she was sitting in front of me, I can’t really remember the form that the bullying took, it definitely wasn’t physical, but having a dozen or so girls constantly teasing you and being mean must have been horrible.
I don’t remember any teachers intervening, but I think she was befriended by some of the boys, which probably made us worse.

Sara1954 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:16:07

I also think she was from a different class, we were all estate children, she lived in a big house outside of town, I remember going there, and her parents being really welcoming.
Either she had chosen not to tell them what vile little bullies we were, or that was how they chose to deal with it.

theworriedwell Wed 15-Sep-21 16:24:12

My DD was terribly bullied at primary school, it continued at senior school although the school were much better at stopping it. Like a couple of people have said it was girls and the thing that helped her was the boys were lovely and supportive but that seemed to annoy the girls even more.