Gransnet forums

AIBU

Next door's garden

(33 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 16-Sep-21 09:41:24

I live next to a village vicarage with a huge garden. It isn't used as a vicarage and the church leases it out to tenants, none of whom attend to the garden.
It is a huge garden, one that needs an army of gardeners to care for it and it's encroaching into mine, the sun shines across the gardens from my direction
Even though there's a good strong wall between us, raspberry canes shoot up in my lawn, brambles tumble over the wall and send suckers over into my space, ivy and other creepers I don't know the names of, invade along with that pink flower called, I think, Rose Bay willow herb, and weeds are everywhere.
And don't mention dandelions.
I have a fairly large garden too, which I manage to keep tidy on my own by sowing it down to lawn and getting someone to mow it for me. I'm 82. Most flowers are in tubs which I look after myself.
I complained to the Parish council who said it was not their problem, but sent in a couple of boys to mow the lawn, which resembled a hayfield, as a gesture of goodwill'.
Once.
No-one can tell me who is responsible.
As I sit in my tidy garden I watch the thistle and dandelion seeds float over in clouds and there's nothing I can do. I could weep.
Help!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Sep-21 15:25:07

MadeInYorkshire

I would be spraying the encroaching weeds with weed killer!

?

eazybee Fri 17-Sep-21 17:04:01

I am sorry the vicarage garden is encroaching on yours, but you have written the most poetic description:

'......the sun shines across the gardens from my direction,
there's a good strong wall between us, raspberry canes shoot up in my lawn, brambles tumble over the wall and send suckers over into my space, ivy and other creepers invade along with that pink flower called, I think, Rose Bay willow herb, and weeds are everywhere... I watch the thistle and dandelion seeds float over in clouds and there's nothing I can do.'

No practical suggestions whatsoever, but I do admire your prose!

Grandmama Fri 17-Sep-21 19:15:32

The vicarage will be owned by the diocese. Contact the diocesan office. Someone there will be responsible for the upkeep of vicarages and rectories.

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Sep-21 10:51:17

Wildflower meadows are SO labour intensive to set up then maintain!! I'd think more along the lines of a bit of guerilla gardening........dosing along the boundary will leave you -and them with a no man's land of bare ground, but you can get some more pots and troughs!

Ethelwashere1 Sun 19-Sep-21 08:42:50

No offence meant to anyone but i would love to live next door to that lovely garden, i would ask tenants if i could pick blackberries, the wild plants are so much nicer than the cultivated ones. You will get wildlife too from the garden. Heaven, i would spend hours dreaming in the garden.
I think cultivated gardens are pretty too but give me a wild garden anyday.

Ali08 Sun 19-Sep-21 11:23:51

JaneJudge

Is the vicarage owned by the Church? Have you seen this?

I like where it says the law says you should hand the clippings back to them!
But I'm evil like that, and I'd give them every single bit to dispose of!! Lol

Azalea99 Sun 19-Sep-21 20:06:27

Oh, you do so have my sympathy! I have one neighbour who loves her garden, but not to the extent of weeding. The full 25 m of our joint boundary is ridden with ivy and brambles and she seems to have no idea. The chap on the other side happily admits that he’s only interested in cutting the grass and growing vegetables, so I have pretty similar weeds on both sides. I spray with weedkiller, and tell myself that it’s cheaper than replacing the plants on my side which their weeds would smother . You really do have my sympathy