Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eyebrows

(93 Posts)
ReadyMeals Thu 16-Sep-21 15:14:57

AIBU to wish the eyebrow fashion would hurry up and change so that pretty young girls can stop ruing their faces by painting what looks like ugly fat brown slugs above their eyes?

Rosina Fri 17-Sep-21 12:47:41

Zoejory - 'she was in pleats?' I've never heard that expression but it sounds like a fantastic description of someone doubled up with laughter. You have now made me laugh too!

Quizzer Fri 17-Sep-21 13:03:20

I just can’t win. Naturally blond, I had thick dark eyebrows which I plucked but was still accused of being a ‘bottle blond’ because of them.
Now they are thinner and going grey so the fashion has flipped and I have to colour them to look up to date. Most of the time I just wear my hair over them.

polly123 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:06:51

Hate the trout pout and slug eyebrows, I call it the instagram look.

MickyD Fri 17-Sep-21 13:15:30

Well most of you will be pleased to know that thin brows are making a comeback. It was in a beauty mag email I received this week

Suze56 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:20:43

I don't like the heavy overdone eyebrows either but it's the fashion at the moment. I can still remember my mum's horror at my thin eyebrows in the 70's, said I looked like a startled deer!

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:30:58

Slugs on the brow absolutely awful look!!

Elvis58 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:36:35

You can get eyebrow mascara which is waterproof to colour your brows if they going grey.

Durga Fri 17-Sep-21 13:36:40

Yep! Plucked them to death in the seventies. Good thing there are so many great products out there.

Jane43 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:38:57

Soroptimum

My eyebrows are going greyer and greyer! Wondering whether to have them dyed - anyone done this?

Yes I have mine done every six weeks or so. It makes a huge difference as they were almost invisible.

seadragon Fri 17-Sep-21 14:07:24

I asked my best friend's big sister in the 1960's if she noticed anything different about my eyes - on which I had used blue eye shadow for the first time. "Your eyebrows need trimming" she said... Never have done it - never will..

Alioop Fri 17-Sep-21 14:53:07

Huge eyebrows, waist length hair, leggings and belly tops, that's the out of school uniform here these days. No individuality unlike when I was teen in the 80s, although that's also when I plucked my eyebrows to death and now they look awful.

Lin663 Fri 17-Sep-21 16:03:24

Ha ha …I loved this…I am always going on about “slug” eyebrows - I hate them, so glad to find I am not alone!

Hopikins Fri 17-Sep-21 16:13:07

The horrible eyebrows girls have now makes them look like Groucho Marx/ The Marx Bros. Dreadful!!!

KathrynP Fri 17-Sep-21 17:00:43

I have alopecia and my eyebrows fell out first. I had natural well shaped brows and used a gel mascara to keep them in check. One morning I grabbed my mascara to do them and they were missing!! I pencilled them in badly for a short time but used to end up with one when I got regular hot flushes so gave up. Now I wear glasses permanently to give my face some ‘character’. Miss them in the shower when the shampoo gets in my eyes but great laugh when beauticians try to stop me in the cosmetics aisle to ask if I want to try the new eyebrow threading service. If only!

Nanna58 Fri 17-Sep-21 17:31:47

Please please don’t use hair dye or beard dye- only use a dye specifically for your precious eye area!

Schumee Fri 17-Sep-21 17:40:46

My eyebrows were very thin and I have had them dyed a few times but they never lasted very long. I also had the micro blading which is like tattooing which really made them stand out but quite expensive - £200 plus and you have to have a top up too

rowyn Fri 17-Sep-21 18:37:37

Hithere, why is it "up to someone" to follow a fashion? Is there a rule I don't know about? If so, I've been breaking it all my life!

TillyTrotter Fri 17-Sep-21 18:40:39

Ha! * ReadyMeals* , it is just a fashion and I certainly liked to follow fashion when I was young.
I don’t think today’s young women are any different to how I used to be.
Often I’ve looked back at photo’s and thought “whatever did I look like?” - but I thought I was the bee’s knees at the time (and a slave to fashion).

Hithere Fri 17-Sep-21 19:06:28

Rowyn,

Dont look at me! ?
I follow something if I like it and if it fits me.

CanadianGran Fri 17-Sep-21 21:09:02

Jannipans - I cannot imagine why police would have to ask at a door to door inquiry if an individual plucks their brows! Unless brow hairs and a compact mirror were left at the scene of the crime....

I also hate the painted on huge brow look. If you have naturally bushy brows it suits your face for the most part, but for some it looks like they paint them on with shiny shoe polish - horrible!

Also have notice a lot of men with overly perfect brows. I understand and know a few that pluck out the middle to avoid uni-brow, but some are too well plucked for my taste.

Gilly66 Sat 18-Sep-21 05:27:56

I have mine waxed and tinted at a salon

harrigran Sat 18-Sep-21 07:44:51

I have grey eyebrows and it doesn't bother me as they match the co.our of my hair. They are an OK shape as I never over plucked them and odd long hairs are snipped at an angle so they follow the line of the eyebrow.
I would never dye my eyebrows or eyelashes, I worked in an eye hospital and saw some of the results.

Chardy Sat 18-Sep-21 08:18:37

Weren't big, dark eyebrows fashionable in the 1950s? I have visions of a young Elizabeth Taylor with them.

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Sep-21 10:44:32

Soroptimum

My eyebrows are going greyer and greyer! Wondering whether to have them dyed - anyone done this?

You could try dye but I found it didn't take. Nowadays you can get an absolute full spectrum of colours to suit all shades of brow try Hi-Brow powder application I've used this for over 10years and they do lots of different shades it's subtle and very natural .it has 3 different templates for personal shape choice too. Not cheap at about£25 but late literally ages. Well over a year for me. People have commented on my brows ,wondering how I've managed to keep them looking so good and no greys(which is not the case.ive loads) give it a whirl.

Jodieb Sat 18-Sep-21 10:57:24

Thanks for the tips. I have just tried mascara on my brows and have realised I have more brow than I thought!
Yes Readymeals, It is a daft fashion. I used to love wearing fake eyelashes but always trimmed them first. Now they wear great sweeping ones. Everything is overdone now.smile