Gransnet forums

AIBU

Learner Driver.

(45 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 30-Sep-21 10:49:57

GS will be 17 next year, will have driving lessons. Our son, his dad, has a company car and learner drivers not allowed on the insurance, ok when test passed.

DS has asked if we would be willing to put GS on our insurance, to practise in between lessons. DS would supervise. DS would pay the extra cost of insurance.

We have two cars, both a few years old. DH and I are the only named drivers, maximum no claims discount, very reasonable insurance.

I am not keen to do this and said so. DS has said in the past that when his children are old enough to learn to drive, he will buy a small cheapish car for them, GD is three years younger than GS. But doesn’t seem keen to do that now. He and DIL are in good jobs, and could afford to do this.

DH sits on the fence, as per usual, doesn’t want to upset anyone.

AIBU to think that although we always try and help out wherever possible, I do feel this is not really something we need to be involved in?

To be fair, we don’t use the cars to a huge extent since we retired, and DS pointed this out! “ Your cars are sat on the drive most of the time!”

I left it that “Well, we’ll see nearer the time” but feel unhappy about it all. DS obviously thought we would agree straightaway, and looked a bit miffed.

So, please tell me, AIBU?

Grandmabatty Thu 30-Sep-21 10:55:51

You would have to put ds as well as dgs on your insurance and I think putting a learner on your insurance would be very costly. Find out from your insurance company how much it would cost and go from there.

JaneJudge Thu 30-Sep-21 11:01:36

They need to be quite confident in lessons before you start taking them out in between. I'd just say no and suggest he look for a small 1.2l and under to learn in which he can eventually use. I saw a small corsa 1l on facebook marketplace with MOT and low mileage for £800 last week, it's not like a first car has to cost a fortune and it's not your responsibility.

JaneJudge Thu 30-Sep-21 11:02:46

It is costly to insure a learner. I'm not sure how it works with someone you don't live with either, as it's not you taking him out. So you'd have to put your son on too? sounds a right faff, say no.

Blossoming Thu 30-Sep-21 11:17:08

It isn’t something I would do. It would get very complicated and costly. Would he be driving one of your cars?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 30-Sep-21 11:30:54

No...I wouldn’t either. What you do with your cars is your business. Your son is perfectly capable of sorting this out himself.

Why do so many adult children do this. If I’d asked for anything like this...or my husband for that matter, our parents would have rolled around laughing! They would always help if we were in hardship, as do we with our kids....but this.....definitely NO.

You are not being unreasonable, stick to your guns.

M0nica Thu 30-Sep-21 11:31:18

Say no, possibly consider contributing to buying an old banger for him to practise on, but have nothing to do with the insurance.

ElaineI Thu 30-Sep-21 11:31:45

Not sure either. I took all mine out in my car to practise but it would take a while to get back to your reasonable insurance quotes and if there was an accident it would be your insurance that went up in price.
Do you use and need both cars? What about possibly selling one to DS then he would have the car when your DGD wants to learn? Just a thought. We have 2 cars as I couldn't cope with DH 's anxiety about his precious car when driving anywhere and use mine a lot for childcare. We think about cars differently. My view is it takes me from A to B, don't care if DGC get crumbs, mud, leaves, sand in it as it can get hoovered out. His car barely leaves drive and is his pride and Joy. Gets cleaned with special cloths, foam etc.

HolySox Thu 30-Sep-21 11:33:37

YANBU.
And what happens when GS passes his test? Will he expect to 'borrow' grannies car? I can see arguments coming. If your DS has a plan to provide a car for his children to use he can buy it now.

HolySox Thu 30-Sep-21 11:34:27

Granny's not grannies!

Teacheranne Thu 30-Sep-21 11:35:02

I refused to allow any of my children use my car when learning to drive, I did not want to affect my no claims bonus and a car was essential for me to get to work. They moaned a bit but soon gave up when I did not change my mind.

I am still the only named driver for my car!

annodomini Thu 30-Sep-21 11:48:24

When I was visiting family, I took my DGD out for a few lessons in my car. She was already a motorbike rider so her roadcraft was very good and she soon got the hang of the controls. DS squared it with my insurance. When my two sons were learning, I had no qualms about taking them out for a drive in parallel with sessions with an instructor. That was over 30 years ago, so things may have changed with insurance comapnies. My dad did the same for me and my two sisters.

annodomini Thu 30-Sep-21 11:48:24

When I was visiting family, I took my DGD out for a few lessons in my car. She was already a motorbike rider so her roadcraft was very good and she soon got the hang of the controls. DS squared it with my insurance. When my two sons were learning, I had no qualms about taking them out for a drive in parallel with sessions with an instructor. That was over 30 years ago, so things may have changed with insurance comapnies. My dad did the same for me and my two sisters.

annodomini Thu 30-Sep-21 11:49:59

No idea how that got posted twice.

glammanana Thu 30-Sep-21 12:05:50

There are many good low mileage older cars available either privately or car showroom part - ex's which have been taken in for resale.
Your son should buy one of these and insure it for himself and his son,I have just sold my old VW Polo 1.2 (19yrs old)with 52K on the clock for £500 with full MOT for the son of a friend who is learning to drive she has insured it in her & her son's name.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:01:20

The amount it would cost to change the insurance on your car (plus the fact you then have to pay to change it back) would probably cover one hell of a lot of extra driving lessons with an instructor. I can see where your son is coming from because we gave out two many hours of driving in the family car along with lessons) but I don’t think he’s thought it through properly. I’m dreading my grandsons learning to drive even though it’s a few years off. It’s the ultimate realisation that you can no longer tuck them up in bed at night and know that they’re safe. The not being able to sleep at night till you hear the car pull up outside.

FlexibleFriend Thu 30-Sep-21 13:18:01

No you are not being unreasonable, far from it. When my sons were learning to drive I bought them their own car and paid for driving lessons, tax and insurance for the first year and after they'd have about 10 lessons took them out for practice sessions. That way they tend to take it all more seriously, they look after the vehicle because it's theirs. I understand where your son is coming from but insurance is huge for learners and he needs to take responsibility.
Images (up to 30 per day):

Georgesgran Thu 30-Sep-21 13:19:11

Just wondering if your daughter in law also has a car OP. Might be an idea for your son and her to a cheap runaround and put your DGS on her insurance? Be careful not to ‘front’ - that is for him to become the main driver while another person is the legal owner. When he passes his test - there’s a car already available for him. DH’s company car allowed no other drivers under 21, learner or otherwise.
Sounds daft this, teacher but it usually reduces the premium to have 2 qualified drivers on a policy.

Georgesgran Thu 30-Sep-21 13:19:48

Missed out ‘buy’ a cheap ....

Feelingmyage55 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:28:38

Why not rent a dual control car by the hour for lessons? We have done this as our car is too powerful for a beginner. It is very inexpensive, only £15 per hour from ArnoldClark. Other companies available.

Kim19 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:33:39

Very much with Monica on this. Offer to chip in for a wee car if you can but don't go near insurance. I seem to remember my C were somewhat heavy handed as beginners and didn't do our car gearbox much good.

Visgir1 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:42:28

Both my 2 Children where added to my car,, but only when they were having regular Driving lessons with an instructor.
It was cheaper to add them, than for us to buy another car.

Soozikinzi Thu 30-Sep-21 13:46:08

Our son was learning through lockdown so couldn’t have lessons for a long spell so he was insured through coveredondemand which was very good I must say . He BBCwas ready for his test by then which was cancelled due to covid restrictions. It’s a separate insurance for the learner and you just pay for the days the learner uses the car . Otherwise he would have had a gap of months which I realise was special circumstances. But that might suit ?

Lolo81 Thu 30-Sep-21 17:05:18

Feelingmyage - that’s exactly what I popped onto this post to suggest! The dual control hire will provide a car similar in size and power to that of lessons as well as working out cheaper in the long run I’d imagine.

blossom14 Thu 30-Sep-21 17:18:46

My Dgs is having lessons with a driving school. He also comes out with me in my Ford Ka for practice, he takes out seperate monthly cover with 'Marmalade' similar idea to Soozikinzi.
It's not that cheap but does mean I don't have to put him on our insurance - I think it is only available for learner drivers.