Gransnet forums

AIBU

Calling adult sisters 'the girls'

(156 Posts)
Beswitched Fri 01-Oct-21 11:03:22

I have a friend who is single and so is her sister. She was telling me yesterday how they both absolutely HATE being referred to as 'the girls' by family members. They are both in their early sixties, have held down responsible jobs, bought their own houses, one lived abroad for several years, and they feel a bit insulted at being referred to as if they're two young siblings living at home.

I do sympathise. My neighbour has two sibling nieces who are single and in their late 40s. She too refers to them as 'the girls' 'and I've seen a rather irritated but resigned look being exchanged between them a couple of times when she's done this.

People seem to do this far less where one or both sisters are married. AIBU to think it's a bit demeaning to refer to middle aged women like this?

Their elderly parents I would forgive as we all remain children in our parents eyes I suppose smile.
But can other relatives not just refer to them as Helen and Grace or whatever?

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:25:09

I’d love to be referred to as the girl. I’m 69 and still feel much younger!! grin

Margomar Wed 06-Oct-21 17:07:06

My son calls his three older siblings the sisters” , as in “Will the sisters be coming?”

effalump Thu 07-Oct-21 17:53:47

They can call me whatever they want, except "old maid". I don't think that term has been used in decades though. One thing I hate is when I speak to a (very) young shop assistant and they go "Aw bless!". That sounds so demeaning to me. angry

Beswitched Thu 07-Oct-21 21:22:15

No 'old maid' and 'spinster' have thankfully dropped out of usage. They were so derogatory towards unmarried women, judging them and putting them down in a way that batchlor never did.

Tooting29 Fri 08-Oct-21 16:59:31

I'm the youngest of 3 sisters and we were always referred to as the girls. Can't understand why this is a problem