Gransnet forums

AIBU

Exorbitant rise of anything! £50 more today than last Friday!

(55 Posts)
bikergran Tue 02-Nov-21 19:17:05

Have you had your eye on anything, furniture, goods, clothes etc etc .

I have had my eye on this small round glass table with chrome chopstick legs for quite a while, but seeing as though I couldn't
find any chairs to match at a reasonable price I gave up with the idea.

It is in a shopping village across the road "Oswaldtwistle Mills" if anyone has heard of it.

Anyway popped in for a new diary earlier on this evening and went to look at "my" table lol.

I nearly had to sit on one of the chairs!

Last Friday it was at it's price that it has been for around a year. £119

Todays price!! Order now in time for Christmas! £169 shock £50 price rise since Friday!

Keeper1 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:26:08

I know building materials are shooting op in price. The company I work for is struggling getting components and the prices change all the time and always upwards. Nothing to do with Brexit but the pandemic lots of companies are not back to full production.

MaggieMay69 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:27:15

Rubbish and rot that its not to do with that awful damaging word that sounds like Breaks It.!!! Poppycock and tish! Nowhere has there been as much changing as there is here because of that awful change!!!!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:34:23

If you wait til "Black Friday' it will probably be reduced by £50?

icanhandthemback Thu 04-Nov-21 11:37:33

Its probably because Black Friday is coming up soon. If they put the price up for so many days, they can then discount it for Black Friday. Company's do it all the time.

Ninat474 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:40:49

I was looking to buy a new cooker in September, couldn't complete the online order so went in-store the next day - price had risen by £500!!

sandye Thu 04-Nov-21 11:41:39

By law, anything on offer has to be sold at a higher price for 28 days. This is often done so it can go 'on offer' If one sells at the higher price they win, if it's 'on offer' and they sell more, they win. I'm a cyinical old bird.

4allweknow Thu 04-Nov-21 11:53:58

Ordered a new hest pump tumble dryer on Friday, delivered Tuesday. Was looking at how I register guarantee noticed price had gone up £79.00. He who hesitates etc!

Jaxie Thu 04-Nov-21 11:56:38

I spotted a tiny tub of instant porridge in the Co-op for £1. You can get a packet of oats for not much more which will make lots of porridge. Don’t you think we should go back to the old ways and thumb our noses at the greedy profiteering supermarkets?

Coco51 Thu 04-Nov-21 12:00:01

That happened to me when I delayed getting my new camera. If they can make aprofit selling at the lower price an extra £50.00 is profiteering.

25Avalon Thu 04-Nov-21 12:04:47

Maybe it’s so they can reduce the price on Black Friday so you think it’s a bargain?

MaggsMcG Thu 04-Nov-21 12:11:19

They've put it up so they can offer it at the lower price on Black Friday.

Severnsider Thu 04-Nov-21 12:18:27

Have you noticed how the price of bread has gone up? The store baked loaf I usually buy was £1.10 a few weeks ago, this week it is £1.15. I know it's not much but .......

Buttonjugs Thu 04-Nov-21 12:32:06

It’s because of Black Friday. They put prices up to trick people into thinking they’ve got a bargain when they reduce it in the sale. Martin Lewis telling everyone to keep an eye on prices because a lot of the so called bargains are a con.

Joesoap Thu 04-Nov-21 12:32:20

Thats disgusting is it anything to do with Black Friday which is looming, they put the price up and then reduce it on Black Friday and everyone thinks its a bargain, so hold on, it might be a real bargain after Christmas.

Nannashirlz Thu 04-Nov-21 12:45:26

Relook on Boxing Day for the sale you probably get half price lol

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 04-Nov-21 13:10:55

One reason for some price rises, especially food, will be the record price of petrol and diesel being passed on.

yellowcanary Thu 04-Nov-21 13:30:46

I had a couple of advents in my basket on Amazon for about a week or so - they were originally £40 each - paid £28 each on Monday. Happy bunny for waiting.

mokryna Thu 04-Nov-21 13:34:59

I recently bought a large danish rug. Out of interest I looked to see the price in the UK only to find it would of cost a few hundred extra. I think Brxt.

Other than that food prices have gone up all round the world through crop failures.
PARIS, Nov 4 (Reuters) - World food prices rose for a third straight month in October to reach a fresh 10-year peak, led again by increases in cereals and vegetable oils, the UN food agency said on Thursday.

Froglady Thu 04-Nov-21 15:04:08

I still have problems not calling that the Bubble Factory!

Froglady Thu 04-Nov-21 15:07:04

bikergran

I have had my eye on this small round glass table with chrome chopstick legs for quite a while, but seeing as though I couldn't

It is in a shopping village across the road "Oswaldtwistle Mills" if anyone has heard of it.

Anyway popped in for a new diary earlier on this evening and went to look at "my" table lol.

Todays price!! Order now in time for Christmas! £169 shock £50 price rise since Friday!

I still call it The Bubble Factory!

Rumpunch Thu 04-Nov-21 15:50:46

Being the cynic that I am - I believe that is so they can reduce it back down to the £119 for Black Friday without breaking any rules. Item has to have been for sale at the higher price for a certain length of time before reduction to stick within the law,!

bikergran Thu 04-Nov-21 16:11:37

Me too I still call it the Bubble factory, interesting story how it first started out.

Bubble factory sound much more fun lol, I live directly across the road (well round the corner) I'm often found lingering about when I need a bit of fresh air, I just trot across the road smile

Gabrielle56 Thu 04-Nov-21 17:21:06

bikergran

Ooh Dr.....I used to work for the parent company, greedy lot the Hargreaves! Does suprise me in the slightest.... John Lewis, really good quality , some great bargains and extra insurance from them on all purchases and no, I don't work for them!!

Gabrielle56 Thu 04-Nov-21 17:26:19

Shortage of pre owned cars?! Rubbish , we only got what that buy any car place online quoted for our old car and dealers say that's the guide they use nowadays!!! No more 'Glass's guide' giving a fair valuation! Cheap cheap cheap! Mores the pity. I blame Chinese cheapo crap imports! You can produce stuff at rock bottom when you abuse your workforce.........

Fennel Thu 04-Nov-21 17:47:15

Referring to services - our recent water bill was almost 50% more than the last so got a man from the water board to come. He found that the person who had done the reading had read abd recorded it wrong.
So we're getting a refund, but best to check it yourself.