Gransnet forums

AIBU

Americanisation (the) of our language

(416 Posts)
MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 16:25:30

As in 'passing' instead of dying. 'Bathroom' instead of toilet. I hate it. Americans can be really crude but have this prissy use of euphemisms - it's almost Victorian.

I also hate 'Year on year' instead of year after year. 'One on one' instead of one to one. We should rebel instead of adopting their turns of phrase. Even the BBC uses them.

Marydoll Wed 17-Nov-21 17:27:52

In Scots law there is a criminal offence. Culpable Homicide, the Americans must have borrowed it from us. ?

eazybee Wed 17-Nov-21 17:31:49

A woman in an out-patients clinic yesterday asked for the 'restroom.' which flummoxed the young staff.
Haven't heard that for years; not sure if it is American.

Sago Wed 17-Nov-21 17:35:52

Happy holidays instead of Happy Christmas?

Lucca Wed 17-Nov-21 17:35:53

MollyF

So you hate toilet - at least it's honest.

It’s a word, that’s all

Lucca Wed 17-Nov-21 17:39:33

Sago

Happy holidays instead of Happy Christmas?

Again, nobody says that here. Surely the Americans are entitled to use their own language/expressions in their own country ??!

MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 17:43:36

I've never noticed 'yes, no?' but another hate of mine (I also freely admit to being a grumpy old woman) is the way people, especially noticeable on the radio, start sentences with 'So ...'

Doodledog Wed 17-Nov-21 17:46:41

I think it might be Australian rather than American, but I cringe at Uni ?. It sounds even worse when older people use it, too.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Nov-21 17:47:47

In this house we watch films not movies.
We go to the pictures not the cinema.
We get out goods from shops, not 'in store'.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Nov-21 17:48:30

our goods

MissAdventure Wed 17-Nov-21 17:48:57

Yeah, no is said a lot around where I live, but yeah, no, I think it always has been.

Yammy Wed 17-Nov-21 17:49:57

Hands up all those who say, Santa Claus. I had always said the old English Father Christmas [ from the mummer's plays] until I lived in the Noth East and then it was Santie I hadn't a clue what they were talking about.
Santa Claus was taken to America by German immigrants and they gave it to us. It's everywhere and Father Christmas very rarely heard.
My GC lived in the States I recognise I have picked it up from them and should say U.S.A for a while ,or over the pond as they say and call both of us Gramps and behind our backs grumps each time we correct them.Even their parents say math now and they weren't there long.
The spell check on Grans net gives you American spellings if you are not careful and I am using it because my spelling is atrocious.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Nov-21 17:50:57

I only use ‘uni’ to try to fit in and not seem like the dinosaur I am (as on recent thread re degrees). I don’t like it and shouldn’t behave like a sheep, just like a dinosaur.?. Thanks Doodledog.

MollyF Wed 17-Nov-21 17:52:08

I don't think starting sentences with 'So' is Australian. I lived there for 10 years and never heard it used. I think it's just a fashion - there are lots of people, usually young, who readily adopt linguistic fashions in order to sound cool.

Calendargirl Wed 17-Nov-21 17:52:17

‘Autopsy’ instead of ‘Post Mortem’.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Nov-21 17:52:48

Father Christmas for me too Yammy.

varian Wed 17-Nov-21 17:53:00

Perhaps I am a dinosaur but I always say "uinversity" never "uni"

I also say "television" never "tv" or "telly"

Yammy Wed 17-Nov-21 17:53:43

Americans say Happy Holiday to include all religions and ethnicity. As it is a short public holiday they all have.

Yammy Wed 17-Nov-21 17:55:01

Germanshepherdsmum

Father Christmas for me too Yammy.

Good to hear someone likes the old things as well as me.

TerriBull Wed 17-Nov-21 17:55:10

Bathroom is ok, but restroom is the one that gets me, we all know what a lavatory/toilet is and why we go there and it isn't for a rest!. Ridiculous euphemism for those who can't get their heads around bodily functions.

It was a while ago when out with our own kids and the grown up grandchildren we cottoned on to the fact that they are all into the "can I get?" when ordering food, coffees whatever. I would love whoever is serving to say "I dunno?" or even "do you mean could I have" Still we are all of our time and such expressions are pretty universal amongst their age group and we are both used to being referred collectively to as "you guys" which really doesn't bother me at all.

I personally don't like the word "awesome" used in the wrong context which many waiters appear to use in the US when you order something. No! awesome is a blue whale, big cats, even dare I say it little cats, Michelangelo's "David", The Iguazu Falls, The Valley of the Kings, The Colosseum etc. etc. ....not an order for a flat white or cappuccino hmm I also don't like "do the math" as used by a British person.......we say MATHS don't lose the S.

God forbid we adopt all the habits that float over the pond, the number of women that drive around with "I'm a hockey/football/whatever mom" sticker in their car.........what does it even? mean, you live your life vicariously though whatever activity your kid is into!

I still don't know what a "homecoming queen" is. Pretty sure it's nothing to do with The Queen returning to Windsor though.

CanadianGran Wed 17-Nov-21 18:00:10

Actually no Canadians say Happy Christmas, it's Merry Christmas.

I understand that language is always evolving, and love to hear regional differences. We seem to be in the zone where traditionally we use British language and spelling, but all our media and software is American, so I constantly have to ignore errors such as labour, centre, neighbour. (t is highlighted here as an error)

It made me cringe when I heard a young lady spell a word with zee instead of zed, but I managed to stop myself from correcting her.

Globalism ensures you can have fruit from tropical places, a goods from all over the world, and enjoy the multicultural society that is modern Britain or Canada, but it also involves some change that not all agree with.

Grandma70s Wed 17-Nov-21 18:05:09

I say Father Christmas, but I don’t mind Santa Claus. It’s when it’s shortened to Santa I start to rant. Saint Nicholas is fine, but calling him just Saint (as in Santa) just doesn’t make sense.

BigBertha1 Wed 17-Nov-21 18:13:09

Deplane
You guys
Can I get?
My bad
Anaesthesiologist
Soda
Slumber party
Play date
Me time
Shower parties
My truth

cringe!!!

Aveline Wed 17-Nov-21 18:13:22

I can't bear 'Happy Holidays'. I celebrate Christmas.

Sago Wed 17-Nov-21 18:14:08

Lucca I have heard “happy holidays” a lot here in the UK.
It’s popular among woke types who don’t wish to offend anyone by mentioning a Christian Festival.

I’m happy for Americans to use what ever language they wish….even fanny pack!
It just never seems to sound right here said in a British accent.

Scones Wed 17-Nov-21 18:15:58

Woke.