Gransnet forums

AIBU

Charity what charity ?

(76 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:55:44

I went into our locaL Supermarket and as the often do on a Saturday they had a stall selling this time raffle tickets for two hampers. I saw the stall was from the local Rural so I asked what charity the money was going to . " Oh," came the reply " it is to help pay for our Rural birthday party." Was I wrong to refused to help subsidise those ladies who could well afford to pay for thir own party.? " It has been more than 3 years since we had one " the lady argued . All the more time to save up for the tickets I thought.

HurdyGurdy Sun 26-Dec-21 23:56:37

Well, goodness, this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. I had always thought that the MacMillan nurses were angels in disguise, but from the majority of the comments, people have had some very poor experiences. I find the thread quite upsetting, and I really don't think I will be donating to them again.

Chocgran Sun 26-Dec-21 23:26:40

Peasblossom
Yammy
No, they are asking to be rewarded for volunteering. Let them volunteer their own party. Give to a know Charity like Macmillan Nurses etc.hmm
I’d rather give to a Rural (even though I’ve never heard of it) than Macmillan.

I wouldn’t give them the dirt off my shoes.

Dear me, you’d think after nearly 30years I would have got over their uselessness. Maybe the odd one or two do some good.?
Oh, you too, Peasblossom?

I'm sure there must be some kind hearted people working for Macmillan, though.

It's not about kind-hearted employees though. It's about which charities are or are not commissioned to deliver services that statutory services used to provide

EllanVannin Thu 09-Dec-21 18:16:56

I support hospices and have bought many things online for the children for Christmas. All brand new items as well as pounds cheaper than the same thing in popular outlets to which you pay for the name. A Casdon toy was £6 cheaper !

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 18:04:02

Well.
That doesn't make much sense, but you get my drift.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 18:01:19

Everyone who knew my daughter says they feel quite angry and tearful when the macmillan ads come on the tv.
They often make me shed a tear for how different things could have been, how much of a relentless struggle the last few years might have been with just a little kind support.
I feel traumatised, and that isn't me being over dramatic.

Judy54 Thu 09-Dec-21 17:06:38

Yes NotTooOld I too am shocked to read about some of the experiences with Macmillan Nurses on here. I have nothing but praise for the care they gave to my Parents and to us as a family. They still stayed in touch with me after my Parents had died to offer support. I understand that our experiences are different but Macmillan was exemplary for us.

NotTooOld Wed 08-Dec-21 17:01:39

I'm a bit shocked to read about the MacMillan nurses. One of them did help my mum a bit in her last days and since then I have donated to them. I think now I might change over to Marie Curie.

Re the children packing at the supermarket tills, my DH will never allow them to help since one of them put a sponge cake in the bottom of the bag and followed that with a large bag of spuds! Result: one very squashed cake. Poor kid. I usually keep behind DH and drop some money in their bucket anyway.

Beswitched Wed 08-Dec-21 16:56:16

Yes but some people feel awkward and that they look 'mean' by not accepting and throwing some money in the box. You may be confident enough to not let it bother you, but it does make some people uncomfortable.

eazybee Wed 08-Dec-21 16:50:10

And if people have to check every penny in the supermarket, as most of us have done and still do, we simply smile kindly and say, thank you but I can manage.

Beswitched Wed 08-Dec-21 14:54:40

eazybee

Well, they are offering a service to raise money for their activities, rather than simply asking for donations.

Many children from wealthy families are expected to earn money for their wants by doing some form of 'work'.

Presumably shoppers stand and note the cars they arrive/depart in and check out their phones.
How lovely.

Yes but it's not always clear what they're collecting for. For instance the box might imply that they're collecting to raise funds for a village in the developing world, when they're actually raising funds for their own flights out there.
Which is fine as long as people are perfectly clear on what they're donating to and happy to fund it.

Also, having them standing at the end of every till, often with a parent beside them, can make it awkward to say 'no'.
There are some people who add up as they go around the supermarket, making sure they will have enough money when they get to the till.
There are others who do have that pound coin left over but were going to use it for something else.
It can just be a bit awkward and intimidating, and some people could find themselves handing over money they can't really spare towards Jemima's personal development trip to an orphanage in the 3rd world.

trisher Wed 08-Dec-21 14:36:23

Calistemon

trisher

What really annoys me about the children bag packing is that it is obvious that many of the families involved have substantially more money than the person they are ambushing at the checkout. They arrive and leave in huge cars, with up to date mobile phones etc and beg from people who have limited incomes. It's wrong.

Very sweeping statement!

Not all of They ae well off and not all shoppers have limited incomes.

Scouts traditionally did 'Bob a Job' week but not so much now and the Scout/Cub leaders are there in the background, making sure they don't put the meat in with the fruit.

No but nor can they tell if the person coming through that checkout has the pound to spare that they are asking for. It's difficult to say "no" sometimes. And when I've seen them the numbers of leaders compared with the number of children haven't been enough to provide any sort of careful supervision of packing.

eazybee Wed 08-Dec-21 13:11:18

Well, they are offering a service to raise money for their activities, rather than simply asking for donations.

Many children from wealthy families are expected to earn money for their wants by doing some form of 'work'.

Presumably shoppers stand and note the cars they arrive/depart in and check out their phones.
How lovely.

Beswitched Wed 08-Dec-21 12:13:28

No but some are.

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 10:25:31

trisher

What really annoys me about the children bag packing is that it is obvious that many of the families involved have substantially more money than the person they are ambushing at the checkout. They arrive and leave in huge cars, with up to date mobile phones etc and beg from people who have limited incomes. It's wrong.

Very sweeping statement!

Not all of They ae well off and not all shoppers have limited incomes.

Scouts traditionally did 'Bob a Job' week but not so much now and the Scout/Cub leaders are there in the background, making sure they don't put the meat in with the fruit.

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 10:22:26

I probably know most of the families here whose sons in the Scouts ask for £1 or so to pack bags so I'm happy about that. Not many 4X4s in tha area either.

I don't see it as begging as I don't have to give and
was always grateful to have my bags packed. They are providing a service as till operators don't usually pack bags here.

trisher Wed 08-Dec-21 10:17:24

Beswitched Tue 07-Dec-21 11:48:42

Calistemon

^I equally hate the bag packers at supermarkets who give the impression they're collecting for charity but are often collecting for something for the local school or a trip abroad.^

A local Scout group did that (pre-Covid) and always asked politely if you'd like your bags packed. Yes, I always did and made a donation because they're local, I know the leaders (and my DS was a member).
If it helped a member go on a camping trip which their parent(s) couldn't afford, I'm happy.

And I got my bags packed too.

I've no issues with that. But I have seen many groups who do not make it clear what they are collecting for. That is my real issue. One school nearby were actually collecting for a skiing trip for their pupils but you had to ask to find that out. They were also stationed at every checkout with a parent beside them, and it felt a bit like being ambushed.
If kids want to offer a service to earn some money for a holiday that's fine. But make it clear, and avoid making customers feel as if you're in their face, would be my view.

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 11:20:02

I equally hate the bag packers at supermarkets who give the impression they're collecting for charity but are often collecting for something for the local school or a trip abroad.

A local Scout group did that (pre-Covid) and always asked politely if you'd like your bags packed. Yes, I always did and made a donation because they're local, I know the leaders (and my DS was a member).
If it helped a member go on a camping trip which their parent(s) couldn't afford, I'm happy.

And I got my bags packed too.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 11:10:59

They were worse than useless for my girl.
I can't even express the depths of how much I despise her "nurse".

Ali08 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:09:39

As for giving to charity, we should all choose for ourselves IF we give, who to, how much, how often etc, and should not be feeling coerced/bullied into giving!!!
All those charities asking for money on tv, it makes you wonder who pays for the adverts?
And once you've given to one, it seems like they pass on your details as more and more appear to ask you for money!!!

Ali08 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:05:37

My children's dad died of cancer in 2014. Macmillan nurses were great with helping both him and then the children afterwards! (We had separated a few years before).
Obviously, a lot can change in 30 years, and be different in other areas, so please don't tar them all with the same brush!
Oh, we're in Isle of Thanet in Kent.

Rosie51 Mon 06-Dec-21 23:02:51

I have very mixed experiences of Macmillan nurses. When my mum was dying with cancer they did help make the attendance allowance application for my dad, and the money received was very welcome and eased some worries. During my last bout of cancer they were less than useless. I waited for half an hour in a consulting room to meet the nurse. She asked what questions I had. I replied I really didn't know what to ask, what I needed or was eligible for, to which she replied if I decided, to give her a ring and then promptly left the room! I won't support them any more, my donations go to Marie Curie who give real hands on emotional and practical support.

Rosina Mon 06-Dec-21 22:48:32

On a different matter about giving; the 'Chuggers', who were often in high streets and who knocked on doors, are not seen so often now, although a group were in our town last week. I learned that the people who attempt to persuade you to become a regular donor work not directly for the charity, but for companies that take a percentge from whatever you agree to pay, not just as a one off, but ongoing. I had a cold call from a very pushy woman, asking me to increase my donation to Cancer Research. I tried to explain to her that I like to spread donations between different charities, and was giving all I could afford, but she kept on and on until I mentioned that her organisation would be taking part of any increase she managed to talk people into - the call ended quite quickly then.

Gwyneth Mon 06-Dec-21 22:48:05

So are Macmillan ‘nurses’ actually qualified nurses? If so what a waste when they seem not to be doing any of the ‘hands on’ nursing that people really need. Even in their non-nursing role they appear to be failing people who need help. I was very sad to hear about the experiences of posters on here.

Peasblossom Mon 06-Dec-21 20:12:22

It’s good to hear a positive experience with Macmillan.

I can’t help pointing out though that it’s other charities like Marie Curie who actually do the stuff that’s needed and spend the night.

And struggle to provide that service because of the money that goes to Macmillan to enable Macmillan to direct people to Marie Curie.

I’m not convinced ?