Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dishwasher and husband enraged

(42 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Wed 22-Dec-21 11:37:03

I recently posted about my husband ranting and swearing because he was struggling to mend the dishwasher (and I laughed every time he shouted and swore). New dishwasher arrived at 9am today, and he's still faffing about trying to install it (it's integrated). He says the screws they've sent are too short, so he's found some in his very messy shed. Now the door won't close. Swearing, shouting, etc/ BUT this time, I haven't got any Bailey's to enjoy grin

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:41:55

Oh dear, it’s a pity you forgot yourself and ‘accidently’ added in the installation fee.
I can see your DH in his marigolds at the sink over Christmas.
Oh! and stock up on Baileys.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Dec-21 11:42:14

Didn’t forget yourself.
Sorry

Deedaa Wed 22-Dec-21 11:44:50

If DH wasn't dead I'd say you'd stolen him. I never got used to the fury that erupted over things he could easily have paid someone else to do. Apparently it was always "easier" to do it himself.

Jackiest Wed 22-Dec-21 11:45:54

This all seems bit much for your husband probably better if you just calmly sent him off to get something from the shops so he is out the way and did it yourself.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 22-Dec-21 12:17:42

Jackiest Me, intall an integrated dishwasher? I'm 5ft 1, recovering from a stroke and torn tendon in my shoulder. I'm full of tricks like that grin

Boz Wed 22-Dec-21 12:23:17

The minute my OH says he can fix it/install it himself, I just want to die.

Visgir1 Wed 22-Dec-21 12:26:16

Hindsight.... but never ever not add instillation in the order.
Not worth the stress!

MiniMoon Wed 22-Dec-21 13:20:29

I learnt a long time ago, not to let my husband do any DIY.
He is dyslexic and everything he tries to do turns out to be inside out or upside down.
I had to get my son to reinstall the velux blinds in my bedroom because husband put them in back to front!
I hope your husband manages to install your new dishwasher eventually.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 22-Dec-21 13:42:00

He's managed to do it, then he went to his shed for a while grin so I've given him a can of beer and mince pie for his hard work

Lizzie72 Wed 22-Dec-21 13:47:02

HowVeryDareYou

He's managed to do it, then he went to his shed for a while grin so I've given him a can of beer and mince pie for his hard work

I wonder why not many men post on here?!

Georgesgran Wed 22-Dec-21 13:53:37

GAMI - get a man in!
My DH used to actually growl when he was attempting a job.
For someone so incapable he had several toolboxes full of gadgets.

Kittye Wed 22-Dec-21 13:58:06

The minute my husband says he’s going to mend something I’m online looking for a new one. ?

janeainsworth Wed 22-Dec-21 13:58:09

“If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.” -Red Adair

I feel your pain howverydareyou grin

grandtanteJE65 Wed 22-Dec-21 14:03:47

Excuse my asking, but how long have you been married to this man?

Surely, you knew what would happen if he had to install the dishwasher?

Why did you not just buy from a firm that comes and installs things, or alternatively sent for a plumber?

My husband and I learned during the first year of our marriage which jobs we reasonably could ask or expect the other to successfully tackle. The rest we either attempt together or hire someone else to do.

Shelbel Wed 22-Dec-21 14:06:52

no bailey's = grit your teeth until it's over.

so funny reading about this. My husband never has the right screws and always has to go to the diy shop for more.
Every.single.time. So now he probably has a greater selection than the shop but it still goes on.

talking of dishwashers.We had a new kitchen with integrated dishwasher and we had to have the plumber out to change the ubend filling. He had to pull the dishwasher out and did it so roughly its never fitted well again. Dont want him back here.

DanniRae Wed 22-Dec-21 14:12:12

Oh I am so glad that M R never gets involved in 'mending things' or installing things. He knows his limitations smile

FarNorth Wed 22-Dec-21 14:21:40

A friend once commented to me that I was lucky to have a DH who never attempted any diy or home maintenance.
(He had been hopeless at it when he did try.)
Until then I hadn't realised that doing it myself, or getting someone in, was much more peaceful and straightforward than having a 'handy' man about the place.

mumofmadboys Wed 22-Dec-21 14:25:52

This thread has made me laugh!!!

Urmstongran Wed 22-Dec-21 14:35:10

Kittye

The minute my husband says he’s going to mend something I’m online looking for a new one. ?

Gosh can you buy husbands on line these days? Do you get a 28 day refund?
??

paddyann54 Wed 22-Dec-21 14:39:36

When my neighbour said they were getting a new kitchen fitted I asked why not do it yourself now you're both retired.She said" I dont know what would happen to the house if he attempted that...if a plug needs changing the first thing he looks for is a hammer ."
I am exceptionally lucky my OH can and does do anything needed in the house and the houses of family .He doesn't cook though but I can happily do that myself .

Soroptimum Wed 22-Dec-21 14:45:56

Urmstongran

Kittye

Gosh can you buy husbands on line these days? Do you get a 28 day refund?
??

Brilliant! ?

M0nica Wed 22-Dec-21 14:56:50

I am lucky, DH is good at fixing almost anything, and to be fair, enjoys it, although you would never know. He too is a a member of the blood sweat and swear words fraternity, plus the endless trips to DIY store, electrical wholesaler, Builders Merchant etc etc.

But he has one final touch. Having insisted that he would do the job himself, worked hard, blood sweat and tears etc and the job issuccessfully completed, he then turns to me and blames me for insisting he did it himself instead of getting a tradesman in.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 22-Dec-21 17:46:24

grandtanteJE65 Married 41 years. I'm certainly not slagging him off or suggesting he's no good at things - he's actually done lots of big jobs in our house, from rewiring the place, knocking down walls, creating a bathroom upstairs, plus many more things.

MissAdventure Wed 22-Dec-21 17:51:18

I am having to wean myself off having a go myself, because it inevitably ends in me having to pay someone to come and do it properly.
I can understand the mindset.
Fortunately I'm lazy, so that helps in getting someone else in.