Gransnet forums

AIBU

Daughter out all night

(104 Posts)
muggle1965 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:19:25

My 29 year old daughter has returned home as recently split from her partner. They have a 2 year old daughter who also now lives with us. Obviously she has total freedom to come and go as she pleases. However, three times now she has spent the night with friends but not told me so I was expecting her home to sleep. In the morning, I discover her room empty and worry. She thinks I'm being unreasonable as she's an adult so can please herself. I just ask that she sends me a text to say she won't be home. Just to add, her daughter is with her dad on those nights.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 01-Jan-22 15:30:00

That’s what this whole thread is about isn’t it? She is behaving like an irresponsible teen!

V3ra Sat 01-Jan-22 15:40:02

DiscoDancer1975

That’s what this whole thread is about isn’t it? She is behaving like an irresponsible teen!

Exactly this!

MercuryQueen Sun 02-Jan-22 03:35:01

DiscoDancer1975

I disagree. I think she's acting like an adult who's not used to reporting in to her mother. I don't see how going out when her daughter is with their father is being an irresponsible teen at all. Should she be sitting at home, staring at the walls, waiting for her child's return?

Now, I do think a quick text to say, "Hey, not coming back tonight." wouldn't be a hardship, but I can also see where, "I'm a grown adult, trust me to make my own decisions." can come into play.

I think the best solution is for daughter to get her own place ASAP. No more worries about locking up for OP, and freedom to live an adult life without censure or supervision (or even just the perception of such) for the daughter.