Gransnet forums

AIBU

Daughter out all night

(103 Posts)
muggle1965 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:19:25

My 29 year old daughter has returned home as recently split from her partner. They have a 2 year old daughter who also now lives with us. Obviously she has total freedom to come and go as she pleases. However, three times now she has spent the night with friends but not told me so I was expecting her home to sleep. In the morning, I discover her room empty and worry. She thinks I'm being unreasonable as she's an adult so can please herself. I just ask that she sends me a text to say she won't be home. Just to add, her daughter is with her dad on those nights.

GagaJo Tue 28-Dec-21 20:28:10

I think at 29 you have to accept she can stay out if she pleases. If her daughter isn't there, there isn't really any reason for her to check in with you beforehand, although a text would be polite.

Look at it this way, if you were living apart, you wouldn't know when she stayed out all night and consequently, wouldn't worry.

Shandy57 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:44:37

I don't think Mums ever stop worrying about their children whatever age they are. When my daughter lived at home I liked to know if she'd be back as we had old fashioned bolts on the inside of the front/back doors, and I'd 'lock up'.

I think asking for a text is reasonable, you can relax then and sleep - just don't be upset if she does turn up in the early hours!

Doodledog Tue 28-Dec-21 20:50:24

I feel your pain. Mine would often do this when they were home from university, and accustomed to doing as they pleased, and I thought it disrespectful and thoughtless.

They were, presumably, asserting their 'adultness', albeit in a rather immature way.

They are older now, and although they don't stay here in the same way as when they were young (ie they come for Christmas, or whatever, rather than this being their home) they would at least let me know if their plans changed when I was expecting them home.

I'm not sure what you can do (but maybe presenting it to your daughter as immature behaviour might work - making it about her behaviour rather than your reaction to it)? You have my sympathy, though.

Kali2 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:55:49

GagaJo

I think at 29 you have to accept she can stay out if she pleases. If her daughter isn't there, there isn't really any reason for her to check in with you beforehand, although a text would be polite.

Look at it this way, if you were living apart, you wouldn't know when she stayed out all night and consequently, wouldn't worry.

Easier said than done. She has gone back to live with mum and dad, under their roof- and they probably take care of many things. So the respect should go both ways, no?

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Dec-21 21:04:05

I think it it’s bad manners.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:05:14

She's an adult so I think it's unreasonable to expect her to go back to childhood behaviour, just because she stays with you. Your anxiety is your problem, not hers.

CanadianGran Tue 28-Dec-21 21:07:04

I would be ticked off as well. It would be a sign of respect to let you know.

annodomini Tue 28-Dec-21 21:17:45

As the child is with her dad on the nights she stays out, she's well within her rights to do so though it would be considerate to let you know her intentions.

Kali2 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:18:27

Hetty58

She's an adult so I think it's unreasonable to expect her to go back to childhood behaviour, just because she stays with you. Your anxiety is your problem, not hers.

Not talking about 'childhood behaviour'- but basic respect. She is an adult who has chosen to go back and live with parents- of her own volition, because it is much better than the alternative. They do not have to put up with lack of respect because of her predicament. It has to go both ways, or not at all.

Dickens Tue 28-Dec-21 21:26:35

GagaJo

I didn't get the impression that the OP actually minded her staying out, more that she would simply like to know whether or not she would be home so wouldn't worry when she found her room empty in the morning.

If you've moved back into your parents' house, I think it's a small courtesy to let them know that you might be very late or not there at all.

Anyway, she has a daughter herself, so will understand one day...

Audi10 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:29:01

I think if her child is staying with her dad on the nights she’s staying out I still think she should let you know she won’t be home as she’s still living with you regardless, basic manners

Ali23 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:29:58

I think this is about mutual respect too. If my daughter came to live with me I would expect her to let me know by simple text that she wasn’t coming home, so that I could lock up, and I would expect to tell her if I was staying out too.

Kali2 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:31:40

Exactly- in fact not doing so sound like childhood behaviour- or petulant teenager.

trisher Tue 28-Dec-21 22:20:39

She may just be feeling a bit vulnerable and stupid at having to come home to live with you. Asking her to text you may make her feel even more of a failure, back to mum's and having to check in with her. It will be hard but if you could just leave her free to come and go and not comment I'm sure she will adjust and begin to communicate more with you. I don't suppose she is consciously worrying you. She's obviously had a difficult time. She may find letting her daughter go to her fathers hard. I'm sure you will work things out.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Dec-21 22:23:26

I would think it's common sense to let people know how the land lies.
There are some maniacs about!

NotTooOld Tue 28-Dec-21 22:34:15

I think she should text to let you know. And I don't think she should stay out at all if she has left her daughter with you unless you had a prior arrangement to baby-sit.

VioletSky Tue 28-Dec-21 22:37:12

It's annoying, but in the age of mobile phones I can just ring or text if I am worried

BlueBelle Tue 28-Dec-21 22:46:12

It would be nice to let you know because we all still worry however old they are and it’s only decent to do so but on the other hand she’s nearly 30 so used to coming and going without telling her mum I guess

V3ra Tue 28-Dec-21 22:47:41

If you had a fire during the night, presumably she'd want or even expect you to wake her up and evacuate the house?
Thought so.
So you need to know if she is in or not.

We had a fire during the daytime.
My son's car wasn't on the drive so I'd assumed he was out. (I'd been out myself that morning and hadn't seen him all day).

The fire brigade insisted I phoned him and made sure he wasn't in the building.
If I couldn't tell them 100% he wasn't in they were going to have to go upstairs and check.
And the force of the blaze meant that they really didn't want to do that if they didn't have to.
But they would have done.
At considerable risk to themselves.

It's not a question of you treating your daughter like a child.
It's about all of you being responsible adults.

Borninthe50s Tue 28-Dec-21 22:52:56

You ANBU. Mine is 22 and I would always expect a text if she’s said she was coming home and then changed plans. Have no problrns with her doing that but it’s just consideration to let you know. Totally disagree with those who say she can come and go as she pleases; it’s nothing to do with how old she is, just kindness for others.

Ali08 Wed 29-Dec-21 03:00:02

It doesn't matter how old she is, it's about safety as much as anything!
What if there was a fire? Are you going to send fire fighters in just in case she might be in, and put their lives in danger?
What if you think she's at a friend's but she's been in an accident and no one has known to contact you?
She definitely should respect you enough to let you know she will be out, it's just good manners imo!!

Hithere Wed 29-Dec-21 03:29:24

If you would like a text so you do not worry, I agree it is up to you to control that anxiety

Madgran77 Wed 29-Dec-21 05:39:56

Ali23

I think this is about mutual respect too. If my daughter came to live with me I would expect her to let me know by simple text that she wasn’t coming home, so that I could lock up, and I would expect to tell her if I was staying out too.

I agree.I would expect the same of anyone staying with me and to do the same if I was staying with someone else. Just basic manners

muggle1965 Wed 29-Dec-21 08:02:19

Thank you for your views and it is about respect as telling me she's just going out for a few drinks and then turning up 20 hours later is hurtful. However trishers comment was interesting as hadn't thought that way plus the fire issue. She has been through alot so I'll wait and see if things change. Thanks again x