Gransnet forums

AIBU

White feathers .....

(74 Posts)
Serendipity22 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:52:41

I guess this thread could be linked with the Have you ever seen a ghost thread, i didnt want to inject my scenario into the thread and so i started this 1.

Ok, here goes, this is my experiences after my mum went 'Home' ( i always say Home rather than died.

I found small white feathers in places that were absolutely, for want of a better word, weird. 1 example i can give you is this.

My mum could beat Fanny Cradock into fits, she literally spent an eternity in the kitchen baking, cooking, baking, cooking and in-between all that she looked after my gran and grandad, who lived next door. My precious mum went Home as i held her hand.

We moved into my mums house ( my childhood home ) about 7 months afterwards.

I was stood 1 day in the kitchen which i have to add at this point is at an awkward place from the front dooor ( the reason i am explaining this comes later ) so, there i am baking my mums speciality biscuits and i said out loud "Can you see me mum, im making your biscuits." ( then burst into tears ) so, im walking from kitchen worktops to cooker, worktops to cooker then i turn to walk with another tray of biscuits to the cooker, when THERE on the kitchen floor is a tiny white feather, ( this is where the front door cones in ) no way could it have blown in from outside becauae of the position of kitchen to door, PLUS the front door wasn't open ! Yes i live in the countryside, yes i live opposite a farm.....BUT there was no door nor window open.

There has been other weird scenarios.

I am a cynical person, i don't jump on the bandwagon of believe until i have concrete proof. ...

Sooooo, after seeing this particular feather, i looked round for others, checked under my shoes looked outside, NOPE, NONE thought 'ohhhh it MUST be from a cushion.' So i went in the front room COMPLETE WITH SMALL SCISSORS and gently made an incision in each cuahion so i could determine feathers or stuffing... ALL WERE STUFFING...

So im baffled, i could go on and on and ON about the other feathers but you're all probably zzzzzzzz by now.

Sorry x

Nansnet Thu 20-Jan-22 07:11:57

When my dad passed away, no one was able to be with him due to covid restrictions, so he was alone, and I wasn't even able to attend his funeral, due to flight restrictions at that time, which was very difficult for all the family. My daughter, who was very close to her grandad, was very upset, and without telling me she decided to book a session with a medium, which was completely out of character for her! Neither of us really believe in stuff like that, but a lot of what she was told was rather amazing, and made my daughter feel a bit better about what had happened. One thing the medium said to my daughter was that she knew I had been unable to be with my dad, and she was to tell me that her grandad (my dad) was OK, and not to worry about him, and that he would send me a sign to let me know that he's still with me. The very same day, before I had spoken to my daughter about her session, I walked into the kitchen and noticed something in the middle of the kitchen table ... it was a white feather! No idea how it came to be there, but it wasn't until later that day, when I spoke to my daughter, that she told me what the medium had said to her. The hairs stood up on the back of neck at the thought of the feather being a sign from my dad. No doubt there's a simple explanation for this, but it filled me with the warmest glow, and I like to believe that it was my dad's sign to me that he's still with me.

Katyj Thu 20-Jan-22 07:17:02

I’ve found white feathers too Both times were when I was going through a bad time, just last summer I was really worried about my son, he was running a marathon that day, and he knew he wasn’t up to it, he was constantly in my thoughts. I sat down with a cuppa and my eyes were drawn to a side table, there was the most beautiful small pure white feather, I picked it up and knew he’d be okay ?

FannyCornforth Thu 20-Jan-22 07:19:03

I haven’t read the full thread yet.
I get many tiny, fluffy little white feathers in my bedroom.
They’re from the little house-Martin family we are fortunate to host every year above my bedroom window!
But they may also be a message from my mom, who was a great friend to wildlife, birds especially ?

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:01:43

I will reply to your post later PetitFromage but i just wanted to share another scenario at the strange places that i found a feather.

I have MS and it laid dormant for about 11 years, i was 'scratching my head' thinking have these consultants got it RIGHT. I have no disability whatsoever. Then my mum had a stroke ( the story is lengthy, THIS is the condensed veesion) i gave up my job as a carer and dedicated 100% to my mum. I was able to do that and MORE besides. Then my precious mum left me, she went Home.

The loss, the grief, the pain the fear was mammoth , i had panic attacks, almost suffered a nervous breakdown and of course my MS showed its face with an absolute vengence.

I am at at the hospital, walking towards the seats in the waiting area to see the MS nurse for my appointment when what do i see underneath the chair i am walking towards! A SMALL DEFINATE WHITE FEATHER.......

I took a photo of it becauae i couldnt BELIEVE it. Hospitals are meticulously clean nothing whatsoever on the floor, but right there under my seat was a feather!!!!

Sorry its a long post.

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:12:22

Wow PetitFromage you have had an awful lot of instances that you take comfort from them, that is so lovely. Of course we will never know BUT it brings us such comfort.

Thank you for sharing those i know they are so very, very special to you, thank you.

flowers

Harris27 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:17:49

Definitely I can be thinking of my brother or dad or some lovely memory and one appears from nowhere. I went through a particularly hard time last year and I found one underneath my windscreen mirror on my car. A feather attached itself to my bathroom window for weeks and it gave me so much comfort.

harrigran Thu 20-Jan-22 09:20:10

I am always finding white feathers in the house but there is definitely no mystery attached to them. They come from the cushions on the settees in the lounge and music room, they get carried on clothing and socks into the kitchen and bathroom.

giulia Thu 20-Jan-22 09:45:13

Has anyone taken their feather to an ornithologist for examination?
I don't mean to sound cynical: I love reading about these experiences. It's just I had never heard of this before.

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:04:13

Hello giulia, no i have never taken mine because to be quite honest, i have no idea what that is, but now you ask, i will ask Mr Google and educate myself.

I put mine in a jar.

Yammy Thu 20-Jan-22 10:11:04

I've never heard of a white feather in this way. Though if you have faith and they bring you comfort then keep them as a sign.
I have friends who are believers though.
The oddest story is an old one. My mum's friends brother was in the RAF during the war. One day as the family were sitting at home the clock made an awful noise and stopped and couldn't be restarted.
None of them knew where their brother was, he had been home on leave and said something big was coming up. A few days later they got an official notice to tell them that he had been parachuting into the Bridge at Arnhem and taken prisoner. He was one of the lucky ones who eventually came home.
A few days later he walked over to the clock and asked what was wrong with it. Wound it up and it started again the odd thing was it had stopped at exactly the time he jumped out of the plane.
We all have our beliefs no one knows and no one is right or wrong take comfort from your signs and beliefs.

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:56:57

Yammy

What a very interesting story yes there are so many interesting stories from Grans and yes, these experiences bring comfort.

Thank you

Nagmad2016 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:27:53

I think that when someone dies we are in a heightened emotional state and tend to interpret unusual things differently. I had an experience shortly after my mother died, that I still cannot reconcile with any practical reason. I texted a neighbour to ask if she would like some juice bottles. She replied to me, using my mother's Christian name. I responded that it was me who had sent the message and she replied that it had appeared on her phone screen as my mother's Christian name and surname, (which she would not have known). She thought it had come from someone she may have met at the gardening guild. I still cannot understand how my mum's name appeared on her phone......perhaps I never will.

DC64 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:32:21

?? Feathers & Butterflies - I believe … whether there is something in it or not - it makes me happy to imagine my mum is still around me. I talk to her all the time - it gives me peace.
Each to their own ???

Mummer Thu 20-Jan-22 12:04:01

What's great post! Thank you so much!! White feathers. Right! Bay DS at maybe 18 months? Said "chick" several times whilst pointing to his bedroom floor when I was changing him, I finally turned and looked, a White feather floating around? First he'd not be able to know that a single fetaher came from a bird/chicken at that age anyway and no feathered pillows in house (#1 hubby allergic) this was a recurring feather feature Inthe home with both DS ok ber years and again after a tragic demise of 22yr old BiL in 1988. Single white feather frequently seemed to float outin front of me /kids specially when wed been talking about young BiL. I've seen white feather in current home when I'm very stressed and have come to regard to as a guardian angel feather. I'm not a 'god botherer' either! So no airy fairy rubbish there! Just fascinating atmosphere when it appears.thats all folks!

Mummer Thu 20-Jan-22 12:07:15

harrigran

I am always finding white feathers in the house but there is definitely no mystery attached to them. They come from the cushions on the settees in the lounge and music room, they get carried on clothing and socks into the kitchen and bathroom.

Well that's your mystery solved but what about those without cushions or leaking pillows? Answers on a postcard!

Mummer Thu 20-Jan-22 12:15:37

Cushions again!? I'm ow that millions of homes have for some reason beyond me , hundred of cushions I'll bet the majority are synthetic stuffing too! But there are also 1000s of homes WITH NIL feathered items due to allergies etc and still get ,and get this- always WHITE feathers floating about? It's tru that there's no such thing as coincidence everything has an explanation some things we simply haven't found one yet but that's not to say it's going to be bog standards boring, it may just be ethereal ya?

grannygranby Thu 20-Jan-22 12:23:48

oh I thought it was going to be about conscientious objectors who were sent white feathers to humiliate them at wartime as a sign of their cowardice. That's the only white feather ref I've heard of.

inishowen Thu 20-Jan-22 12:24:05

Gloria Hunniford is a believer in white feathers. She started finding them after her daughter Karen died.

nanna8 Thu 20-Jan-22 12:29:42

For my mum it is swifts and swallows. When she died we went to London for the funeral from Melbourne. Between the time of her death and her funeral dozens and dozens of swallows flew round and round her house in South East London. Not a usual sight there.Then they disappeared but now they turn up all over the world,wherever I happen to be and fly very close to me for a while. I know it is my mum looking at me and even my cynical old husband thinks it is odd how often it happens. When I was in New Zealand one actually flew so close to me I could touch it, diving and swooping around.

Birdie1 Thu 20-Jan-22 12:46:34

I have no religious faith but over many years have found the white feathers in very odd places and they have given me great comfort having lost very close family under difficult and traumatic circumstances - and like others, they appear from nowhere. When they arrive l am not thinking about the person - the feather makes me stop and think of them - perhaps that is what they are meant to do - to bring back memories and make us feel their care and love again.

Noreen3 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:16:57

I lost my husband nearly 4 years ago.I started to see white feathers appear,there was one on the kitchen floor,it definitely wasn't there the night before.One floated down onto me when I was sitting at my computer.There were no open windows at the time.I have seen many more,I believe that they are from my late husband,I believe in these signs,I also think robins are our loved ones visiting us.

CarlyD7 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:17:48

The day of my Mum's funeral as we were leaving the house and about to open the door, I looked down and there was a white feather on the door mat. My cousin - who was very close to my Mum - came up to me after the funeral and started with "you'll never guess what I found on our doormat as we were leaving ... " Yes, a white feather. They appear in my house when I've been thinking about her and also about my Grandma (I can also sometimes smell her tobacco - none of us smoke, nor do our neighbours, and the windows aren't open (i.e. not passersby). We have NO feather cushions or pillow or any other source in our house. I think it doesn't matter a jot what the truth is - what comforts us is what's important.

giulia Thu 20-Jan-22 14:59:32

Serendipity22

Hello giulia, no i have never taken mine because to be quite honest, i have no idea what that is, but now you ask, i will ask Mr Google and educate myself.

I put mine in a jar.

Serendipity (lovely name): an ornithologist is a person who studies birds. Might have wrong spelling....

Returning to this thread, am beginning to feel rather deprived that my deceased loved ones have never thought to contact me with feathers. Am going to look out for them now.

Definitely no feather pillows etc., in this house!

effalump Thu 20-Jan-22 15:20:41

That's lovely Seredipity. I'm a great believer in spirit even though I've never seen one. My niece saw my dad about 3 months after his passing (this was 10 years ago). She was in the kitchen whilst my mum was washing the dishes. DN was dancing about, turned around and said "Ooh Grandad!. She saw him in the corner of room watching her dance, he faded away seconds later but it didn't scare her. I would've probably freaked out. I tend to get 'visitations' in dreams. I've always noticed that whenever I dream of someone I know, they never look like that person but when my Dad 'visited' me in a dream he looked and felt as real as if he was alive. The same happened recently a few weeks after my Mum died last summer. She appeared in a dream sat next to me and she was smiling her usual smile which was lovely as the last three months of her life, she didn't know who I was due to Alzheimers. I just wish she'd visit me again on a regular basis.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 20-Jan-22 15:34:52

My mum loved owls and we always bought her china ones for birthdays and Christmas. She was also a smoker. When she died I had to ring my brother and sister in Australia with the news. They arrived in England a couple of days later. My brother went into mum’s garden to get some air. There in a nearby tree was an owl and my brother could smell cigarette smoke.