Gransnet forums

AIBU

White feathers .....

(74 Posts)
Serendipity22 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:52:41

I guess this thread could be linked with the Have you ever seen a ghost thread, i didnt want to inject my scenario into the thread and so i started this 1.

Ok, here goes, this is my experiences after my mum went 'Home' ( i always say Home rather than died.

I found small white feathers in places that were absolutely, for want of a better word, weird. 1 example i can give you is this.

My mum could beat Fanny Cradock into fits, she literally spent an eternity in the kitchen baking, cooking, baking, cooking and in-between all that she looked after my gran and grandad, who lived next door. My precious mum went Home as i held her hand.

We moved into my mums house ( my childhood home ) about 7 months afterwards.

I was stood 1 day in the kitchen which i have to add at this point is at an awkward place from the front dooor ( the reason i am explaining this comes later ) so, there i am baking my mums speciality biscuits and i said out loud "Can you see me mum, im making your biscuits." ( then burst into tears ) so, im walking from kitchen worktops to cooker, worktops to cooker then i turn to walk with another tray of biscuits to the cooker, when THERE on the kitchen floor is a tiny white feather, ( this is where the front door cones in ) no way could it have blown in from outside becauae of the position of kitchen to door, PLUS the front door wasn't open ! Yes i live in the countryside, yes i live opposite a farm.....BUT there was no door nor window open.

There has been other weird scenarios.

I am a cynical person, i don't jump on the bandwagon of believe until i have concrete proof. ...

Sooooo, after seeing this particular feather, i looked round for others, checked under my shoes looked outside, NOPE, NONE thought 'ohhhh it MUST be from a cushion.' So i went in the front room COMPLETE WITH SMALL SCISSORS and gently made an incision in each cuahion so i could determine feathers or stuffing... ALL WERE STUFFING...

So im baffled, i could go on and on and ON about the other feathers but you're all probably zzzzzzzz by now.

Sorry x

kevincharley Thu 20-Jan-22 15:41:09

If you believe the feathers are a sign that your mother is around then don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.
If you find it comforting then that's fine.
I don't want any of my deceased relatives to be hanging around (doesn't mean I think less of them) and I've never seen any unexplained feathers so it could be argued that I don't 'believe'.

Chrysalis Thu 20-Jan-22 15:59:11

Serendipity 22. Your mum is there. In your heart, your mind and your soul. And always will be. She may be able to leave a feather or not, but you will always be surrounded by her love.

Patsy70 Thu 20-Jan-22 16:55:10

Serendipity22. My sister lost her husband three and a half years ago and she often finds small white feathers in the strangest of places, and there is no obvious explanation. She finds it very comforting, and feels that he is still there watching over her. I’m sure you feel the same about your Mum. ♥️

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 17:35:28

Do you know these messages have brought tears yo my eyes, i don't mean tears of sadness, i mean tears of happiness that so many people are comforted by these feathers, NO MATTER what the authenticity, its so lovely to read these.

I wont list all my experiences but there are many, in the strangest of places, but im not on my own, so many others have been in precisely the same situation.

Yes, i hold on with a vice grip to these perfect little feathers and the precious comfort they bring.

There is no picture of a hug for me to send everyone do i will do this, its a huge hug wrapped round everyone (((((((((())))))))))..

( blimey !!!! I must have long arms ha )

X

songstress60 Thu 20-Jan-22 18:00:04

Yes I think some things are unexplained. I have often found white feathers. At work one day a woman had been irritating me with her know-all attitude and a white feather floated down and landed on my chair. I often see white feathers. When my dad died I tried to send his phone a message but his number had disappeared from my contact list on my phone, so there is an afterlife.

Hobbs1 Thu 20-Jan-22 18:06:32

For me, it’s Robins. When my dad passed away, a robin came into my garden every morning. Then the day after mum died, 2 Robins came along together. We’ve since moved house and 8 still get 2 Robins every day.

Patsy70 Thu 20-Jan-22 18:21:04

Hobbs1. For my two sisters and me it’s the Bullfinch! He appeared at the window of our Mum’s bedroom, just before she died, and we believed it was our Dad calling her ‘home’. Dad had died 20 years earlier.

Nannee49 Thu 20-Jan-22 18:52:56

Lovely thread Serendipity22...here's a couple of my feather stories -
Some weeks after my DH had suddenly passed away at 56 I was totally distraught one night. After what felt like hours weeping I finally became sufficiently calm to go downstairs to make a cuppa. As I opened the fridge door a perfect white feather flew out and did a little loop de loop before floating to the floor. Despite my tears, I had to laugh because he knew I would be mooching in the fridge, as always, and it was definitely the best place to get my attention. Like others, I still have the feather.
The second story is about the loss of my SiL's beloved Mum. She had also become a good friend to all eight of us in our friendship group and we had many a laugh together playing quizzes and games.
We'd arranged a weekend away in a fab beachfront house recommended by her after she'd stayed there the year before.
Sadly, she shockingly and unexpectedly passed a couple of months before we were due to go. We wanted to cancel but SiL insisted we went, that her Mum would have loved the fun of a girls' weekend so we went in her honour.
On the Saturday night, we were all sitting round the coffee table reminiscing about her as we played a daft card game, dealing out the cards on the cleared coffee table. We all leant forward to pick the cards up when one of us said "Wait, how did that get there?". Lying in the middle of the table was a large white feather easily 6" long which had definitely not been there moments before.
We were all astounded and none could come up with an explanation but it felt so good that it might have been a sign from our dearly missed friend.

karmalady Thu 20-Jan-22 18:59:03

Patsy, a kestrel landed on the window of my grandaughter,s bedroom, the day her grandfather died. They had never had a kestrel there before or after

Serendipity22 Thu 20-Jan-22 19:06:25

Wow Nannee49
That is a lovely story about the feather in the pack of cards and a funny story about the feather doing the loop-de-loop from the fridge... i dont mean funny as in i am overlooking the whole aspect of it .....

Mamma7 Thu 20-Jan-22 19:11:37

I didn’t believe in any of this until it happened to me… a few days after my Dad died suddenly 10 years ago I was walking past his house and a white feather was suspended in the air. It was so strange I watched it for several minutes, it was out of my reach otherwise I would have caught it. Since then I’ve found them in a variety of unusual places inside and out, so have my AC - we are converts now!

harrysgran Thu 20-Jan-22 19:33:47

Last week I found a white feather in the bottom of my handbag I actually took a photograph and sent it to my daughter in law. That weekend we celebrated my dil passing her driving test my son getting the job he had wanted for a long time and the news I was longing for I'm going to be a granny to a granddaughter so yes I believe in the wonder of finding a white feather

Dancinggran Thu 20-Jan-22 19:37:34

I've never found a feather. My husband died suddenly when we were on holiday abroad. The day before his body was being repatriated, I had finally been putting my holiday clothes away, my mum had washed all our holiday clothes and at my request only returned mine and taken my husband's to the charity shop. After putting everything away I took the vacuum upstairs and vacuumed the bedroom out onto the landing, top of stairs and finally the back bedroom before taking the vacuum downstairs to put away. When I returned upstairs about 1/2 hour later lying in my bedroom doorway was a black and red Staedtler pencil with a sharp point, it definitely wasn't there when I was vacuuming. My husband was a joiner and only used Staedtler pencils and was fanatical about them having a sharp point, his pencils were never left lying around, some were kept in the top of his tool box at home the rest in his large toolbox at work. There'd been no visitors that day so only myself in the house since the previous lunch time. I like to think it was my husband letting me know everything would be fine and he was already home.

pinkprincess Thu 20-Jan-22 19:45:36

I keep finding white feathers after a death.
First ones were after my mother died. Then about four years ago I was about to enter a church or the funeral of a friend.There on the church steps by the door were two large white feathers. This friend was a fellow volunteer with me in that church and I got to know him in there.
After my husband died two years ago I am finding white feathers everywhere.
I believe they are from the person you knew who has died.

Jansue Thu 20-Jan-22 19:45:40

After my sister died we had many signs but my white feather moment came amid the pandemic, specifically on New Year’s Day morning to be exact. It was a beautiful morning and I went outside to get in our car feeling a little worried about what would come of us all in the year ahead and there balanced on the door handle of the car was a little white feather! My sister was telling me not to worry, it would all be ok as she was watching over us all.

tictacnana Thu 20-Jan-22 21:41:03

Not a feather but when our little dog died my OH didn’t want to sleep upstairs for the first night. I went upstairs to get an extra throw for the couch. On the landing there was a box filled with his toys. He hadn’t pulled the box over to get to the toys for many months. ( There was another large basket of toys in the sitting room. Anyway, when I got to the top of the stairs there was a solitary soft toy sat at the edge of the top step. On its chest was embroidered the motto ‘Daddy’s Little Hero’. That night , my distraught OH clung to that little toy and it stayed by his bed and comforted him until he too passed away. It brought him some peace and I was grateful for that.

Nannee49 Thu 20-Jan-22 21:54:17

Thanks Serendipity22 glad it made you laugh! And thanks for starting this lovely thread that's allowed people to share precious stories which clearly mean so muchthanks

Jezra Fri 21-Jan-22 20:15:41

When my Mum died I woke up with a start around 2:10 in the morning and only had what I could describe as a feeling that something was very wrong. The phone rang ten minutes later and I was told by nursing staff that my Mum had passed away 10 minutes previously! The sad thing is I have never had a sign of feathers. Mum had Alzheimers and didn’t know who I was towards the end. I was also prevented from seeing her very often due to Covid Lockdown and this didn’t help.
However, my birthday was a month after she died and after coming home from a birthday meal there was a dead robin lying on my doormat. ? It unnerved me tremendously at the time and still does.

Serendipity22 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:42:45

Jezra x

basslady Fri 21-Jan-22 20:53:03

AIBU to struggle with Getting Old ?

Growing old
Is for the bold
Do not hide
Safe inside

Get outdoors
Claim what’s yours
Don’t be shamed
They’ll be the same

Those who judge
Fear the most
The caustic burn
The hollow ghosts

The empty vessel
Makes most noise
Gossip brands them
The hood avoid

Claim your glory
Hide not away
We tell our story
Every day

Showing up being kind
Leaving no one left behind
All inclusive seeing all
Live your truth. Standing tall

The final reckoning
Finds us all

Growing old
Is for the bold
Share forgiveness
Grow not cold

Share your wisdom
E’en to the deaf
Share your goodness
Never mind
Your pearls will land
Amongst the kind
Who want to listen
And learn and grow

The other kind will never know
What they missed
Or could have been
We do our best
And it is seen…

Sent from my iPhone

Patsy70 Fri 21-Jan-22 21:33:45

karmalady ♥️

giulia Sat 22-Jan-22 09:31:26

Jezra

When my Mum died I woke up with a start around 2:10 in the morning and only had what I could describe as a feeling that something was very wrong. The phone rang ten minutes later and I was told by nursing staff that my Mum had passed away 10 minutes previously! The sad thing is I have never had a sign of feathers. Mum had Alzheimers and didn’t know who I was towards the end. I was also prevented from seeing her very often due to Covid Lockdown and this didn’t help.
However, my birthday was a month after she died and after coming home from a birthday meal there was a dead robin lying on my doormat. ? It unnerved me tremendously at the time and still does.

Oh dear. We too found a dead robin a few weeks ago on our outside coffee table. It is underneath a balcony so could not have just fallen out of the sky. It was quite undamaged so cannot blame a cat either.

So far, no bad news.

Shelflife Sat 22-Jan-22 09:58:48

This is a fascinating thread . If these happenings occur and give comfort then rejoice in that. I am very unsure about feathers etc - but who knows. Serendipity I feel your sadness, my lovely Mum passed away some years ago after living with us for four years. I miss her all the time. I have a sister and a brother and we all have spouses, on the morning of her funeral I looked out of the bedroom window and in the tree were 6 bullfinches - 3 female and three male. I recognise it was probably a coincidence , they were beautiful ! At the time I thought ‘ I wonder if that is Mum telling us all she is thinking of us’ Highly unlikely I recognise that, but It did comfort me and I have never forgotten it. So I say if these things happen don’t analyse , accept and draw reassurance. Enjoy the experience and who knows ???