Gransnet forums

AIBU

Which foods,, toiletries etc do you miss which are no longer available?

(273 Posts)
Poppyjo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:08:37

For me it is the root of the celery which we used to fight over, bacon rind (very hard to find), banana toffee which stuck to your teeth and blancmange/symington table creams. Ponds face cream, and Armani hair gel. The gel would be so thick sometimes it had to be washed out! Guess I’m giving my age away ?

JackyB Sun 30-Jan-22 11:21:48

glammagran

Loved loganberries. I can still smell them in my mind now. And Angelica which you never see any longer.

My great aunt was married to a founder of Maconochie’s pickles and it was the first of her (two) married names.

--

I've often wondered about angelica. It was used to decorate cakes. Because it was green, it would be cut into small leaves and stalks to complete little flowers. It is unknown in Germany and I kept forgetting to look for it when I was over in the UK. Why did it go out of fashion?

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Jan-22 13:43:35

Proper greasy, pink Germolene.
And real Oxo cubes. (Who didn't eat the last little bit?)

And, having been reminded, Avon's Pretty Peach. I can nearly smell it now. My DGD's would love it.

TheOtherCatsMother Sun 30-Jan-22 18:58:28

ixion

Clarnico mint creams☹️

Oooh yes the original ones.
Just nasty patts of sugar now.

MissAdventure Sun 30-Jan-22 19:14:48

Peanut cracknell.

humptydumpty Tue 01-Feb-22 13:49:40

Ro60 I think you can still get Butterscotch Angel delight? It was our sadly departed cat's favourite treat!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 01-Feb-22 13:59:33

I so loved Instant Whip. Angel Delight just wasn’t the same.

Antonia Tue 01-Feb-22 15:37:13

I loved Aqua Manda. I think it came in orange and black bottles, it had a great citrus scent.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Feb-22 19:51:14

There used to be a hot version of Angel Delight, which came with crunched up digestive biscuits to top it with.
It my girl's favourite. smile

lixy Tue 01-Feb-22 20:35:07

Gipsy cream biscuits - can't find them anywhere here.

And more recently Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter has been discontinued. It was great for GS and GD eleven years ago but not available for new GD now,

MissAdventure Tue 01-Feb-22 20:59:36

Gypsy creams.
I'd forgotten those.
They always seemed very faintly gingery tasting.

Socksandsocks01 Tue 01-Feb-22 23:47:39

They brought them back. Now it's a plain purple or lilac wrapper. Bigger too. I preferred the old fashioned wrapper

Sallywally1 Fri 04-Feb-22 09:42:27

Sunsilk lemon shampoo. I used to have long blonde hair (not any more!) and this made it lovely and bright. When I can justify the cost I sometimes buy lemon verbena shampoo from l’occitane, but £16 for a shampoo is, I think, a bit steep!

PernillaVanilla Fri 04-Feb-22 10:27:32

Kunzel cakes, my mother used to buy a box every week. I loved the thick chocolate outside and the sweet creamy fruity filling.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Feb-22 12:43:29

Egg and lemon shampoo. (Inecto?)

Ro60 Fri 04-Feb-22 23:28:30

Thanks Humptydumpty I'll keep an eye out. To be fair, I don't tend to go down that isle these days.

Ro60 Fri 04-Feb-22 23:28:58

Aisle rather

giulia Sat 05-Feb-22 09:02:46

Coco51

OK Sauce!

That's very odd because my butcher here in Italy sells it!
Maybe it's old expired stock. Will have a look!

giulia Sat 05-Feb-22 09:03:45

Veal, ham and egg pie. Anything by Callard & Bowzer. Yes, their toffee was so hard and chewy.

giulia Sat 05-Feb-22 09:08:05

Treetops05

Spartan chocolates, no soft centres and the black, gold and orange box x

I totally agree!

SeaNain Sun 06-Feb-22 17:03:35

A tube of Estolan hair cream, it was brilliant.

SeaNain Sun 06-Feb-22 17:20:52

Oh, and cornsilk foundation, think you can get the powder still. My nan used to wear it.

NotTooOld Sun 06-Feb-22 18:22:15

Grannee

Glymiel Jelly anyone?

My dad used to buy that. What on earth was it for?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 06-Feb-22 18:27:11

I remember the name but haven’t a clue what it was!

elasticatedslacks Tue 15-Feb-22 17:40:14

Virol was delicious - ditto Delrosa Rosehip Syrup. Happy Face Facial Cream (for cleansing) - I think it came out about 1968 - A white china pot with a Happy Womans face drawn on it - so pretty. Liver sausage from Sainbury's they cut off sections at the meat counter - had a white papery wrapping. Ski yoghurts - liked the prune ones - quite tart in comparison to todays ones. Aztec bars.

Granmarderby10 Wed 24-Aug-22 09:46:23

Oooh! I remember Royal Scott biscuits, whatever happens to these things. Didn’t they used to come in little packs of 5 or so at Railway stations from a vending machine. I want one now.
And Avon Pretty Peach ? was sooo lovely. We had the pot of cream, talc and bath stuff one time for Christmas. Bring it back!
Does any one remember Wanda cosmetics ? They were a rival to Avon in the early 70s for a brief period