Gransnet forums

AIBU

Which foods,, toiletries etc do you miss which are no longer available?

(273 Posts)
Poppyjo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:08:37

For me it is the root of the celery which we used to fight over, bacon rind (very hard to find), banana toffee which stuck to your teeth and blancmange/symington table creams. Ponds face cream, and Armani hair gel. The gel would be so thick sometimes it had to be washed out! Guess I’m giving my age away ?

OxfordGran Mon 12-Sep-22 14:20:41

years ago, whilst visiting an unfamiliar town my mum was on the hunt for a favoured scent. Dad located an old fashioned chemist, bellowed to mum, walking on, Grace! look! this is a place we can get Intimate !

OxfordGran Mon 12-Sep-22 14:16:26

Huntley and Palmers Breakfast Biscuits
Terry’s Casket,
Boots Calendula &Marshmallow cream in a small glass pot
Astral cold cream in a huge flat tin
Many long gone scents barely remembered,
My mourned favourite,
Coty Paris, flask shaped bottle, lovely,
Quelque Fleur and Fleur de Rocaille favoured by my mother
and the star of Woolworths,
Soir de Paris !
scents are so evocative, are they not ?

Grams2five Wed 31-Aug-22 15:37:13

Deedaa

When I was a child Cadbury's used to do a bar of chocolate divided up into 6 sections, each one had a filling from the Dairy Milk selection. There was a strawberry one, marzipan, coffee cream, orange cream and I couple of others. It was a special treat and was much cheaper than a whole box of chocolates.

My gosh I remember those! Hadn’t thought of them in years.

SunshineSally Wed 31-Aug-22 13:02:31

Antonia

I loved Aqua Manda. I think it came in orange and black bottles, it had a great citrus scent.

Oh my goodness - I remember having a bottle of this in my younger days!

Of course those were the days that I also liked the smell of patchouli (still do!) and often frequented those shops that sold incense, crystals and all sorts of ‘exotic’ things ??

SunshineSally Wed 31-Aug-22 12:55:48

travelsafar

Cussons Imperial Leather talcum powder. Still buy the soap but the talc no longer available. Miss its light fresh perfume and how soothing it was on hit humid days

I’ve been trying to get hold of this for MiL but have been told it’s discontinued. I note that eBay are selling it for £20 plus each!!!

SunshineSally Wed 31-Aug-22 12:49:53

Deedaa

When I was a child Cadbury's used to do a bar of chocolate divided up into 6 sections, each one had a filling from the Dairy Milk selection. There was a strawberry one, marzipan, coffee cream, orange cream and I couple of others. It was a special treat and was much cheaper than a whole box of chocolates.

Yes - it was still called Milk Tray but in a bar. I loved them too ?

HeavenLeigh Wed 31-Aug-22 12:42:48

Gooey not grey

HeavenLeigh Wed 31-Aug-22 12:42:34

Lord toffingham lollies banana with a vast amount of lovely grey toffee inside

Granmarderby10 Mon 29-Aug-22 22:51:58

My mum loved Camay soap, I can still remember the TV commercials. I feel sure it came in blue as well as pink and a bath size and wash basin size. Also Andrex toilet rolls came in many different colours, pink, green, peach/orange. What happened to them all? When I was little free samples of things such as shampoos in thick polythene sachets would be put through the letter box frequently and attached to magazines.
A different world.

Caleo Mon 29-Aug-22 11:07:41

Saville June perfume

Gypsy creams

Callistemon21 Mon 29-Aug-22 10:32:22

FannyCornforth

Germanshepherdsmum

I remember the name but haven’t a clue what it was!

Glymiel jelly - for chapped hands

Glymiel - the name sounds as if it was made from glycerine and honey?
I've never heard of it.

nanna8 Mon 29-Aug-22 09:32:04

Last time we went to the uk just before Covid struck I searched for Duncan’s walnut whips but couldn’t find any. I got some lookalike product from Marks - at least I think it was there. Nothing like the real thing.

Grannmarie Mon 29-Aug-22 09:31:26

Hello, travelsafar, you can still get Imperial Leather talc, red container, in places like Savers and Home Bargains, hope you can find some!

travelsafar Mon 29-Aug-22 08:25:02

Hot not hit!!!

travelsafar Mon 29-Aug-22 08:24:44

Cussons Imperial Leather talcum powder. Still buy the soap but the talc no longer available. Miss its light fresh perfume and how soothing it was on hit humid days

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Aug-22 08:21:40

I have happy memories of Avon Pretty Peach too - my big sister once bought me a full set at Christmas, various lotions and potions and perfume and talc all in little peaches. I loved it. I miss the Coty Emeraude too, and a perfume called Styx that I was very partial to, which came with a “love spell”. Can’t remember whether it worked or not.

And Batiste with a touch of auburn. I had to give up being a natural redhead when they discontinued it.

NotAGran55 Mon 29-Aug-22 07:45:00

Gingernanny53

Merrymaid Caramels
Fidji perfume

You can still get Fidgi perfume. I bought a bottle a couple of weeks ago from a company online after reading about it in a perfume blog .
The customer service was excellent from the company too.
Message me if you would like the details.

Ailsa43 Mon 29-Aug-22 01:29:26

Browsing through Big Thick Mail Order Catalogues on a rainy winters' night choosing what I might have for Christmas ..

Avon Cream perfumes in the 70's...
..and Compartment trains with corridors...

Nannynoodles Sun 28-Aug-22 23:27:44

Terrys 1767 (I think) chocolates. They were all dark and came in a cream box with a red seal on the top. Very yummy, not even the expensive chocolates today come anywhere close.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Aug-22 13:49:07

MiniMoon here it is smile
It’s made by a French soap company

MiniMoon Wed 24-Aug-22 13:10:46

Do I have a faulty memory?
Boots used to sell a shampoo in a little tube, I think it was called Dop?
I used to pop in and buy it on my lunch hour when I was a Saturday girl in Woolworths. I miss Woolies too.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Aug-22 09:54:25

Germanshepherdsmum

Glymiel jelly - for chapped hands

Granmarderby10 Wed 24-Aug-22 09:46:23

Oooh! I remember Royal Scott biscuits, whatever happens to these things. Didn’t they used to come in little packs of 5 or so at Railway stations from a vending machine. I want one now.
And Avon Pretty Peach ? was sooo lovely. We had the pot of cream, talc and bath stuff one time for Christmas. Bring it back!
Does any one remember Wanda cosmetics ? They were a rival to Avon in the early 70s for a brief period

elasticatedslacks Tue 15-Feb-22 17:40:14

Virol was delicious - ditto Delrosa Rosehip Syrup. Happy Face Facial Cream (for cleansing) - I think it came out about 1968 - A white china pot with a Happy Womans face drawn on it - so pretty. Liver sausage from Sainbury's they cut off sections at the meat counter - had a white papery wrapping. Ski yoghurts - liked the prune ones - quite tart in comparison to todays ones. Aztec bars.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 06-Feb-22 18:27:11