Gransnet forums

AIBU

Did you find yourself mentally switching off coming up to retirement

(60 Posts)
Beswitched Thu 03-Feb-22 09:30:32

I'm hoping to retire this year and already feel as if I've mentally gone. I do all my work to the required standards and meet my deadlines. But I have very little interest in it, or in office politics etc.
It's very quiet at the moment. A few years ago I'd have been looking around for extra work but now I don't really. Neither does it bother me too much that my newish manager is inclined to hog all the 'sexy' work for himself. I mainly think 'let him at it'.

Is this a normal mindset as you approach retirement?

Vintagejazz Wed 13-Apr-22 10:28:39

I'm planning to retire this year. I reduced my days and started switching off a few years ago. Covid and working from home was the final death knell. I just have zero interest anymore. Time to go.

harrysgran Mon 18-Apr-22 22:59:50

I'm definitely switching off a little I'm no longer as concerned about things that are changing and future plans at work I'm about to start my last term next week and feel excited at the prospect of retirement

paddyann54 Mon 18-Apr-22 23:20:43

We hadn't planned to retire it was Covid enforced.Our business dIed overnight when lockdown hit .40+ years gone in a flash.Its not been easy having no work to go to in the norning ,no clients calling at ungodly hours and no income.Will take a while to get used to the new order of things,but I do miss the job I'd been doing since 1969

UserNamesAreOverrated Thu 21-Apr-22 07:01:32

I retire in exactly 10 weeks after 48 years of work. I am not doing less at work but I am less involved, I can feel it - I suppose it's natural to disengage because otherwise I would feel as if a huge chunk of my had just disappeared. As it is, that chunk is slowly, slowly going away from me.

I am mainly interested in making sure my replacement (who I am training) knows what she is doing, is confident in her abilities and is looking forward to my going (because then I'll know she's ready!)

Puzzled Tue 17-May-22 18:57:47

Knew that retirement was two years away, and started counting off the days.
NO, not wishing my life away, but remembering what was said on the retirement course, "You are going on the longest holiday of your life". So started preparing for spending more time on my hobby.
Now we are able to do things and go places almost on the spur of the moment, and to help ,others when they need it.
We've had over forty years, between us, and still going!
probably, that is what keeps us fairly young in mind and body; being mentally and physically active.
Admittedly, not as quick in many things, but still willing and able.
Sitting back and doing nothing puts you on the waiting list for a wooden overcoat!

LadyGracie Tue 17-May-22 19:30:42

I switched off as soon as DH worked out that we could afford for me to retire at the same time as him, he was 65, me 62.

Vintagejazz Tue 17-May-22 21:34:30

Puzzled

Knew that retirement was two years away, and started counting off the days.
NO, not wishing my life away, but remembering what was said on the retirement course, "You are going on the longest holiday of your life". So started preparing for spending more time on my hobby.
Now we are able to do things and go places almost on the spur of the moment, and to help ,others when they need it.
We've had over forty years, between us, and still going!
probably, that is what keeps us fairly young in mind and body; being mentally and physically active.
Admittedly, not as quick in many things, but still willing and able.
Sitting back and doing nothing puts you on the waiting list for a wooden overcoat!

I agree with that. A bit of me time after retirement is fine, but it can also be time to give a bit back. There are so many eighty somethings struggling to keep Community and voluntary groups going because no one younger is volunteering to take up the baton.

RainbowsAndUnicorns1 Thu 19-May-22 19:37:38

I planned my departure from work. I was so happy to be leaving (LA), I was just so fed up with the office politics and continual back biting.

The first Monday I did not have to go to work, I cried tears of happiness. I felt as if a large boulder had rolled off my back...

Athrawes Thu 19-May-22 19:51:35

I've been retired for 10 years now. It took a while to get used to it but I became busy with other things which kept my brain going. I'm now beginning to slow down a bit but still go to my exercise class and Tai Chi to keep me moving - I find I can sit and read for ages which stiffens me up; not good!!!