Gransnet forums

AIBU

Scam of door-to-door charity donation bags

(39 Posts)
Quizzer Tue 22-Feb-22 12:24:15

I receive a door-to-door charity donation bag almost every week. How many people realise that almost none of these actually come from the advertised charity. They are circulated by companies that collect clothing etc for sale, often abroad, and give a small donation to the charity.
The bag I received today says that it donates £105 per tonne to the air ambulance.
Working on a very rough average of 500g weight per article of donated clothing, that means that the charity would get a magnificent donation of approximately 5p per item!
If these items were donated to local charity shops they would be sold for realistic prices, all of which would go to the charity.
It’s a scam!

Deedaa Tue 22-Feb-22 22:47:58

I don't think I've had one of these charity bags since the first lockdown.

Oldwoman70 Wed 23-Feb-22 10:11:42

I get one of these bags every couple of weeks - each time for a different charity - but on reading the small print it is collected by the same limited company each time. I have sometimes used them to take donations to a local charity shop.

Witzend Wed 23-Feb-22 10:16:31

We don’t get them any more here - not for ages, anyway.

We have several charity shops locally - I usually take just a few things at a time when going shopping anyway - nearly always on the bus.
The 2 or 3 books for the Oxfam bookshop are often replaced straightaway by one or two more, though - I feel a bit bad if I leave without buying anything.

harrigran Thu 24-Feb-22 08:38:11

I do fill the odd bag that is pushed through the letterbox. I can dispose of lightly worn garments rather than binning them. We have a homeless charity in town but they only accept new unworn garments and shoes, how many people dispose of new clothing ?

glammanana Thu 24-Feb-22 09:21:19

harrigran That sounds a funny set up doesn't it asking for new stuff only when there are loads of really good quality stuff available to be donated.
I take mine to a couple of local shops AgeUK & Banardo's and I buy bits and bobs from both to support their causes.

Quizzer Thu 24-Feb-22 12:58:55

I didn’t say that NO bags come direct from the charities concerned. Just thought that people should be aware of the small print.
I turn the bags inside out (no idea why!!) and fill them with good clothes to carry to the shop.
Some gransnetters must live in posh areas if their charity shops do not sell supermarket clothes! Ours sell anything that still has life in it.

Farzanah Thu 24-Feb-22 14:32:05

I was thinking that Quizzer. If supermarket clothing in good condition isn’t good enough quality to be taken by charity shops it’s a real indictment of the “throw away clothing” industry. Cheap clothing means a cost to the environment.

lavendermine Thu 24-Feb-22 14:57:05

I have a bag filled and ready for collection tomorrow for Breast Cancer.

mrswoo Thu 24-Feb-22 15:04:45

We get maybe 2 or 3 bags a week pushed through our letter box. I have used them very infrequently and much prefer to take stuff directly to a charity shop.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Feb-22 15:30:01

Nobody ever comes to collect them here.
Very annoying.

LindaPat Thu 24-Feb-22 15:52:41

I found a drawer stuffed to the gills with these bags when I was clearing my late Mum's house. There must have been 50 at least! She had probably been saving them for years, just in case!

I am using them to line the bin I use for collecting soft plastics, then the bag and contents are taken to the collection point at Tesco when I do the weekly shop. ( It is amazing how much soft plastic we collect in a week, and we try not to buy things with excess plastic containers/wrappings ).

Does anyone else have problems parking near to a charity shop? We have 4 fairly near shops ( within a 5-10 min drive), but only 1 that has parking spaces. The others have no parking at all, no good if I have a heavy item/bag to donate.

Take care xx

AreWeThereYet Thu 24-Feb-22 18:20:40

how many people dispose of new clothing ?

Sadly I gave away lots over the last two years or so while having a purge. All bought at some point when I was obviously needing some retail therapy. What a waste of money.

biglouis Fri 25-Feb-22 10:53:11

I have a quite explicit notice on my front door stating that I do not particiate in charity collections. If they still push them through I use the bags for my own rubbish. Unrequested catalogues also go into the recycling.