Gransnet forums

AIBU

Too many toys

(79 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 10-Mar-22 08:20:32

My DGC have too many toys so I try and buy them something more useful for birthdays and Christmas. My DS and DiL really appreciate this.

Grandmabatty Thu 10-Mar-22 08:15:54

My dd puts a limit on cost for the boys and will suggest toys for them. There are only two years between them so the toys will be well used. They do have a lot and there's more at my house and the other grandparents house for them too. Dgs1 is perfectly happy playing with a bit of plastic toy fence and making it a railway or a freight train.

Witzend Thu 10-Mar-22 08:06:41

Yes, far too many, but that doesn’t stop me adding to them for birthdays and Christmas - how can I not give them anything? I already have a large, shark-like marine reptile thing for dinosaur-mad Gds’ birthday in the summer.

But I do try to avoid anything with ‘bits’ since necessary ‘bits’ of anything so often disappear into a black hole in their house, never to be seen again.

Far too many clothes, too, but that’s because dd is regularly given umpteen bags of outgrown things by friends - and she does often pass ditto to friends with younger children. But at least half of the bags she receives could go straight to the charity shop - the ample drawers and wardrobes Gdcs have are invariably stuffed to bursting, so the ‘floordrobe’ has to take the overflow.
But as long as they’re all happy….

Jaffacake2 Thu 10-Mar-22 07:51:00

Spent yesterday at daughters house helping with change around of bedrooms so that grandchildren have a room each. Previously they were sharing with bunk beds and 3rd bedroom was a playroom. They are 6 and 4 years old.
I was shocked by the amount of toys they have. I know I have contributed at Xmas and birthdays but it's not until you get to empty a playroom that it hits you. Rather disappointed that remote controls are not with expensive toys so don't get played with . Somewhere in a toy box mum !
Think there is going to be a trip to a charity shop to declutter at some time. Just want to go back today and find remotes but don't think I should interfere.
Maybe it comes from having very few toys myself as a child. A doll, stuffed rabbit and a troll horse were cherished along with a couple of board games and a scooter.
What do others think about toys for grandchildren ? Do they have too many ?