Gransnet forums

AIBU

No PCR tests available

(71 Posts)
Grannynise Thu 24-Mar-22 11:55:09

I know I've got Covid. My LFT was positive and I have clear symptoms. I would just like to have a PCR so that a positive result is actually recorded but there are no tests available at all.
So statistics are already unreliable even before the official end of free LFT tests. How are we to assess the impact of the current lack of restrictions if there aren't reliable data?
What would you do if you were me?

Marydoll Thu 14-Apr-22 20:19:27

I tested positive for Covid yesterday after two LFTs.

As CEV, I was fast tracked for anti virals and received them at 9am this morning. I was told that there was no need for a PCR test.
I have nothing but praise for NHS Scotland.

SandraDee80 Thu 14-Apr-22 20:08:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Lucca Tue 29-Mar-22 13:56:59

Well I need tests for my friends and family to do as I’m on chemotherapy and vulnerable otherwise I’d be locked away if they didn’t test before meeting me!

ElaineI Mon 28-Mar-22 13:04:06

I thought there was no more testing in England? I could be wrong. Still testing and wearing masks in public places here. Schools are a hotbed of covid just now.
Not had any problems getting tests but does ask what country you are in.

Lucca Mon 28-Mar-22 12:54:09

Ladyleftfieldlover

I tried to order from there today and they didn’t have any!

Try first thing in the morning

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Mar-22 11:04:35

That’s good tickingbird mine are being delivered this morning.

tickingbird Mon 28-Mar-22 10:55:38

Thank you Jaxjacky. Strangely enough the post lady has just been and delivered a pack of 7 LFT’s! When I applied online a message came up stating none were available

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 27-Mar-22 14:40:36

I tried to order from there today and they didn’t have any!

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Mar-22 14:14:19

tickingbird this is where I ordered from at 7am today.
www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Yammy Sun 27-Mar-22 13:45:17

We've been trying for a fortnight to get Lft tests. We could at one time get them from the pharmacy attached to the GP's but not anymore.

tickingbird Sun 27-Mar-22 13:24:14

I have tried ordering again and told none available. Where are you ordering from?

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Mar-22 09:45:41

I ordered lft’s this morning after a few days of none available, England.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 27-Mar-22 09:26:18

I think you’re right *greyknitter’ it’s out of respect and care for others that we test before we go out and see others at restaurants or in their homes and we hope they do the same.

I wish that the chap that MrOops met a couple of weeks ago had done the same thing, as MrOops caught it from him and then I got it as well.

Many people though couldn’t give a toss about others and will happily go out and spread it around.

GreyKnitter Sat 26-Mar-22 22:01:17

I test regularly out of respect to my friends and family as people are still dying from covid in spite of the vaccines - many less than without it I’m sure. I always report my test results online and have never had any problems in doing so. I’ve tested twice over 3 days this week as I was having a procedure in hospital and this was the requirement and I registered those on the gov website without any problems. I’ve also ordered more tests this week - they are still available.

Rosalyn69 Sat 26-Mar-22 11:05:51

I think the time has come not to obsess over Covid and LFTs and PCRs. I’m staying careful but after two years my life is too short to continue obsessing.

patrish Sat 26-Mar-22 11:00:48

Some of you won't have a life at all when covid is over

tickingbird Sat 26-Mar-22 08:07:01

I can’t get any free LFT’s. I’ve been in close contact with someone who has since tested positive and have been supplied with a code to pick up some free LFT’s but tried several chemists with no joy. One did, however, offer to sell me some @ £2.00 each!

JdotJ Sat 26-Mar-22 08:01:18

I totally agree with Songstress.

JdotJ Sat 26-Mar-22 07:57:35

Baggs

*The only data we will have is hospital admissions and Deaths*

These are the important data. If people who get positive LFTs aren't ill, why does it matter? And if they are ill (not counting hospital ill), they can stay away from other people as much as possible, as they would with a stinking cold or flu. Oh yes, and they can wear a face mask if they have to mix with other people. Face masks work, right?

This is what "living with it" means.

????????

volver Fri 25-Mar-22 23:12:24

Esspee

I believe the reason Scotland has such a high reported rate (one in eleven have covid currently) is because we are still testing and recording.
Believe it or not by law we are still wearing masks in confined spaces with very high compliance as far as I have observed.
In England you aren’t reporting or having PCR tests so it looks as if your rates are lower.
Boris wants you to think it’s all over.

The 1 in 11 in Scotland is an extrapolation of the representative testing that the ONS do. The actual number reporting positive in Scotland in the last week was actually less than 1 in 50 of the population, I think. The ONS figure for England and for Wales is 1 in 16.

So the level of LFT/PCR testing we do ourselves does not influence the ONS figure. The reason Scotland is so high is probably that we started the BA2 spike before England and Wales started theirs.

Margiknot Fri 25-Mar-22 22:33:48

I reported a negative LFT today via the reporting website- (required for work) without problems at 7am.

Amalegra Fri 25-Mar-22 21:06:24

We are going to have to live with Covid and treat the risks as we do the flu. A booster vaccine will be available soon for the most vulnerable, we are told. Hopefully in the future a vaccine will be developed which will be longer lasting and which could be administered yearly like the flu jab. It is unrealistic to expect everyone to self isolate which in very many cases would mean absence from work. Not everyone gets decent sick pay from their employer, many are self employed and state sickness benefits are a poor joke. With the cost of living spiralling ever upwards, people simply cannot afford to stay at home.

Esspee Fri 25-Mar-22 21:03:29

I believe the reason Scotland has such a high reported rate (one in eleven have covid currently) is because we are still testing and recording.
Believe it or not by law we are still wearing masks in confined spaces with very high compliance as far as I have observed.
In England you aren’t reporting or having PCR tests so it looks as if your rates are lower.
Boris wants you to think it’s all over.

Dickens Fri 25-Mar-22 20:48:25

Lucca

Well you’re damn lucky deejay
I have cancer and am having chemotherapy so I am very very vulnerable.
You probably think I should lock myself away for my remaining time ?
If people were just a bit more willing to think of others and wear masks on transport etc maybe I would not have to.

You probably think I should lock myself away for my remaining time ?

I'm afraid there are those who, not to pull any punches, think that's exactly what you should do. They say things like, "if you're scared, stay at home and let the rest of us get on with our lives".

We're now a very individualistic society. Showing care, empathy and compassion for others is outdated and I think in some people's minds it's equated a bit with the 'loony Left bleeding-heart brigade'.

They feel the immune-compromised, CEV, and others for whom the virus could be quite serious have been accommodated a tad too far. Hence all the comments, 'we have to live with it'.

Yes, we do have to live with it and we should try to get life back to normal and the economy does need to function. But there are ways of doing all these things inclusively... instead of making the vulnerable into a pariah group. But it requires people to think of others, not just themselves and what they want. Unfortunately, our PM pandered to their baser instincts in order to retain his popularity and, effectively, got Covid 'done'. I'm pretty sure as far as he's concerned, the matter is over - he has more important things to focus on.

I've had both cancer and chemotherapy. It's draining and debilitating, and quite depressing to realise that a heck of a lot of people don't give a damn. Until it happens to them, of course.

I wish you a good outcome from the arduous chemo. Keep your spirits up. There are still a lot of kind and considerate people around.

Personally, I absolutely hate wearing masks - for all the reasons most people do. But I do it where necessary just the same. There are worse things happening to people than steamed-up glasses and the irritation of a warm mask covering your face for 10-30 minutes or so...

maddyone Fri 25-Mar-22 20:22:09

Baggs

*The evidence from Gransnet alone*, MaddyOne, will not be robust. You can't use it as proper data.

I know that Baggs, but nonetheless the sheer number of Gransnetters who have said they’ve had Covid, or their families have had Covid, has been amazing to me. It’s anecdotal evidence, but nonetheless it’s clear, and of course it’s backed up by the fact that approximately 90,000 to 100,000 people are testing positive every single day at the moment. Those are of course, only the ones who bothered to report the tests, or had a positive PCR, which of course won’t be available very soon.