Gransnet forums

AIBU

No PCR tests available

(71 Posts)
Grannynise Thu 24-Mar-22 11:55:09

I know I've got Covid. My LFT was positive and I have clear symptoms. I would just like to have a PCR so that a positive result is actually recorded but there are no tests available at all.
So statistics are already unreliable even before the official end of free LFT tests. How are we to assess the impact of the current lack of restrictions if there aren't reliable data?
What would you do if you were me?

volver Fri 25-Mar-22 23:12:24

Esspee

I believe the reason Scotland has such a high reported rate (one in eleven have covid currently) is because we are still testing and recording.
Believe it or not by law we are still wearing masks in confined spaces with very high compliance as far as I have observed.
In England you aren’t reporting or having PCR tests so it looks as if your rates are lower.
Boris wants you to think it’s all over.

The 1 in 11 in Scotland is an extrapolation of the representative testing that the ONS do. The actual number reporting positive in Scotland in the last week was actually less than 1 in 50 of the population, I think. The ONS figure for England and for Wales is 1 in 16.

So the level of LFT/PCR testing we do ourselves does not influence the ONS figure. The reason Scotland is so high is probably that we started the BA2 spike before England and Wales started theirs.

JdotJ Sat 26-Mar-22 07:57:35

Baggs

*The only data we will have is hospital admissions and Deaths*

These are the important data. If people who get positive LFTs aren't ill, why does it matter? And if they are ill (not counting hospital ill), they can stay away from other people as much as possible, as they would with a stinking cold or flu. Oh yes, and they can wear a face mask if they have to mix with other people. Face masks work, right?

This is what "living with it" means.

????????

JdotJ Sat 26-Mar-22 08:01:18

I totally agree with Songstress.

tickingbird Sat 26-Mar-22 08:07:01

I can’t get any free LFT’s. I’ve been in close contact with someone who has since tested positive and have been supplied with a code to pick up some free LFT’s but tried several chemists with no joy. One did, however, offer to sell me some @ £2.00 each!

patrish Sat 26-Mar-22 11:00:48

Some of you won't have a life at all when covid is over

Rosalyn69 Sat 26-Mar-22 11:05:51

I think the time has come not to obsess over Covid and LFTs and PCRs. I’m staying careful but after two years my life is too short to continue obsessing.

GreyKnitter Sat 26-Mar-22 22:01:17

I test regularly out of respect to my friends and family as people are still dying from covid in spite of the vaccines - many less than without it I’m sure. I always report my test results online and have never had any problems in doing so. I’ve tested twice over 3 days this week as I was having a procedure in hospital and this was the requirement and I registered those on the gov website without any problems. I’ve also ordered more tests this week - they are still available.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 27-Mar-22 09:26:18

I think you’re right *greyknitter’ it’s out of respect and care for others that we test before we go out and see others at restaurants or in their homes and we hope they do the same.

I wish that the chap that MrOops met a couple of weeks ago had done the same thing, as MrOops caught it from him and then I got it as well.

Many people though couldn’t give a toss about others and will happily go out and spread it around.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Mar-22 09:45:41

I ordered lft’s this morning after a few days of none available, England.

tickingbird Sun 27-Mar-22 13:24:14

I have tried ordering again and told none available. Where are you ordering from?

Yammy Sun 27-Mar-22 13:45:17

We've been trying for a fortnight to get Lft tests. We could at one time get them from the pharmacy attached to the GP's but not anymore.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Mar-22 14:14:19

tickingbird this is where I ordered from at 7am today.
www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 27-Mar-22 14:40:36

I tried to order from there today and they didn’t have any!

tickingbird Mon 28-Mar-22 10:55:38

Thank you Jaxjacky. Strangely enough the post lady has just been and delivered a pack of 7 LFT’s! When I applied online a message came up stating none were available

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Mar-22 11:04:35

That’s good tickingbird mine are being delivered this morning.

Lucca Mon 28-Mar-22 12:54:09

Ladyleftfieldlover

I tried to order from there today and they didn’t have any!

Try first thing in the morning

ElaineI Mon 28-Mar-22 13:04:06

I thought there was no more testing in England? I could be wrong. Still testing and wearing masks in public places here. Schools are a hotbed of covid just now.
Not had any problems getting tests but does ask what country you are in.

Lucca Tue 29-Mar-22 13:56:59

Well I need tests for my friends and family to do as I’m on chemotherapy and vulnerable otherwise I’d be locked away if they didn’t test before meeting me!

SandraDee80 Thu 14-Apr-22 20:08:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Marydoll Thu 14-Apr-22 20:19:27

I tested positive for Covid yesterday after two LFTs.

As CEV, I was fast tracked for anti virals and received them at 9am this morning. I was told that there was no need for a PCR test.
I have nothing but praise for NHS Scotland.