Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel spied on?

(47 Posts)
Grandmaclampet Fri 08-Apr-22 20:37:43

I collect my grandchildren from school and take them to their own house. Have done this for many many years. Son and daughter in law recently got a dog which is left in the house when they go to work. The other day my granddaughter told me there was a camera in the kitchen so keep an eye on Maisie. Of course this camera can also see and hear me. I had no idea it was there! When I asked my son about it he said it was just to keep and eye on the dog. I am cross that I was not told it was there. What do you think?

Teacheranne Sat 09-Apr-22 12:23:49

Chestnut

I agree with snowberryz, just put a hankie over it while you are there. I'd be more bothered about the additional duties having to look after their dog as well as the children, but you don't say for how long you have them.

Depends where the camera is, we had one in my mums kitchen and it was high up in the corner of wall and ceiling.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Apr-22 12:25:28

Just wonder how old the grandchildren are, as you say you have collected them for many many years

Sounds as if they will soon be old enough to not need collecting?

Knittynatter Sat 09-Apr-22 12:38:13

LtEve

I hate people having cameras in someone's house that I don't know about, not because I would be doing something I shouldn't but I might want to adjust my bra or scratch my bottom and I wouldn't want to be filmed doing that.

Exactly this ??

sodapop Sat 09-Apr-22 13:25:30

I agree with you Grandmaclampet it would have been a matter of common courtesy to tell you it was there. Maybe they just forgot about it.

Hithere Sat 09-Apr-22 13:28:01

Many cameras only stream, do not record

You guys know that the streets are full of cameras, right?

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Apr-22 14:05:43

That's not the same as a camera in your son's home for whatever reason without being told Hithere.

Marydoll Sat 09-Apr-22 14:21:10

Regrdless of the law, this is not something I would find acceptable. The OP has the right to privacy and to be filmed without her knowledge, does not sit well with me.

As for the suggestion, that they may have forgotten to tell you, that doesn't wash with me at all.

I would be angry and uncomfortable, that I was being watched, without my knowledge.

Blondiescot Sat 09-Apr-22 14:27:57

MissAdventure

Yes, it is illegal (I think) to film someone without their permission.

I'd be really cross.

It's perfectly legal to have cameras in your house.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Apr-22 14:33:58

I understand your feelings, and most decidedly feel that your
son and daugther in law should have told you about the camera "put in to keep an eye on the dog".

That may well be the reason, but it is presumably recording what you and the children do when in the kitchen.

If my son and daughter-in-law had done this, I would have been sorely tempted to ask if there was a "Nanny camera" in a toy in the children's bedroom they had "forgotten" to tell me about.

Pammie1 Sun 10-Apr-22 16:57:44

I would have thought it was common courtesy to tell you about the camera. The fact that they didn’t is concerning.

PamelaJ1 Sun 10-Apr-22 17:15:12

I have a camera inside my house. It’s trained on the gate that anyone visiting has to come through.
I do have a sign up to warn people it’s there but it’s invaluable. I work from home and it means I can go and get on with things without having to keep checking to see if my next client has arrived yet.
I don’t have the sound on, perhaps your son could turn off the sound too?

Vintagejazz Sun 10-Apr-22 19:26:22

Very discourteous. The poster talking about cameras on streets misses the point. Out on the street you know you are in public view and behave accordingly. At home or in a family member's house you assume you are not being watched and can adjust your tights, mutter to yourself etc without anyone watching you.

Very rude not to inform you OP.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Apr-22 20:28:15

I’m puzzled as to what the dog’s going to do in the kitchen in the short time between their leaving the house and you arriving there, and what they are going to be able do about it anyway from work? It seems a very unlikely story.

Of course you’re not BU to think you’re being spied on. You are, and if your grandchild hadn’t told you, you still wouldn’t know about it. How rude.

StoneofDestiny Wed 20-Apr-22 21:49:24

Why do you imagine your son is spying on you?

biglouis Thu 21-Apr-22 15:41:08

I have cctv on 3 sides of my houe and there are warning signs. I also have a descreetly placed camera inside my house which I activate when I go out. If someone broke in it would not easily be spotted as its on top of a high cupboard looking down ito the room. Do you think I should have a sign inside as well to warn potential burglars? Yeah, right.

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Apr-22 16:53:38

That's not the same thing though is it biglouise, if you only activate the camera when you leave the house then you're not filming any visitors without their knowledge are you.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Apr-22 17:49:28

I’m just wondering how much time they really need it for. If they don’t go to work until late afternoon, surely that’s more or less when you get in with the children.

Anyway...I would have wanted to know it was there.

Scentia Thu 21-Apr-22 20:24:28

I personally wouldn’t have an issue with this at all, in fact with the amount of videos I send DD of her children each day she wouldn’t need one. I wouldn’t even mind if they had put cameras to spy on me, I am a model nanna and the children are well looked after, my DD and SiL are entitled to make sure their children are being looked after. I understand that this is a view held, probably, only by me but everyone to their own, it would not do for us all to be and think the same now would it❤️

Goldbeater1 Mon 25-Apr-22 19:46:17

Very annoying. I would tell them that I wasn’t happy about the camera being used without my knowledge.

Caleo Mon 25-Apr-22 23:47:44

You should have been told the camera was there. You have a right to complain. You have a right to complain about the poor dog too.

sazz1 Sat 21-May-22 15:45:16

We have 2 cameras in our house that are visible and 1 that isn't. They are on all the time 24/7.
The reason we have them is because we have 2 dogs and dog theft is rife in the UK. So on the rare occasion we go out without the dogs we feel it keeps them safe, and would help to identify any intruders. We also bred a litter last year (first and last time) so camera security was needed.
However, all visitors are told there are cameras and family are all aware.
I would be very upset if nobody told me OP and you had every right to know.