Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU - Friends have booked same holiday

(112 Posts)
LizzyG Mon 11-Apr-22 13:36:59

A few weeks ago we booked a cruise for this September. We've been on quite a lot previously but this one is on a brand new Virgin ship with what we imagine to be a lot of quirky differences than we've experienced in the past and we are really looking forward to it.
Our friends wanted to know all about it as they are keen cruisers too and they really loved the sound of the ship and the itinerary. I think they were maybe even angling for us to say "come with us" but we didn't as we prefer to holiday just as a couple.
Last night they rang to let us know that they've booked the same ship, the same itinerary and even used our booking as a means of getting a discount to match what we got it for but they're going a month before us.
My husband is really floored by this as he says that he wanted to experience everything for ourselves, good and bad but now they will be keen to tell us all the pros and cons and nothing will be fresh and exciting for us. He feels like they're stealing our thunder.
I'm not as upset as he is as I will say to the friends that we don't want to know all the details so as not to spoil things but he is quite upset by it and it's really taken the shine off the whole booking for him.
He is a bit down with other things at the moment and this seems to have really knocked him for six.
AIBU to think that these friends shouldn't have done what they did?

Calendargirl Sun 17-Apr-22 13:25:40

Lucca

She asked AIBU!

And most replied ‘yes’, so I’m sure she gets the drift,

But some of the comments are so scathing and condescending.

I’m not surprised some new posters never post again, that’s all.

Eloethan Sun 17-Apr-22 13:20:22

I can't understand why your husband is so upset. You are going on a holiday that you are looking forward to. Many people won't be able to afford any sort of holiday at the present time so he needs to get things in perspective.

Vintagejazz Thu 14-Apr-22 09:35:57

Missiseff

There's a war on. People are starving. Homeless. Can't afford a weekend away let alone many cruises. And you're upset about what exactly?? Perspective. ?

We're still allowed get a nnoyed about other things.

Iam64 Thu 14-Apr-22 08:02:36

Lucca

She asked AIBU!

And some of conclude she is

Lucca Thu 14-Apr-22 07:23:39

She asked AIBU!

Calendargirl Thu 14-Apr-22 06:48:37

Reading through these comments, I feel sorry for LizzyG, the OP.

She says it was her first time opening up on here about a ‘problem’, and judging by the replies, I should think it will be her last!

Some of them sound rather harsh.

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Apr-22 23:20:07

Esspee

Callistemon21

Of course! Cruising is such a status thing. All the way up to luxury yachts. And they have gone oneup by booking earlier.

Well, I never knew

Absolutely with you there Callistemon21.

Just to clarify, Esspee - I was responding to loopyloo who posted that gem - I can't take the credit!
?
?⛵???

Esspee Wed 13-Apr-22 23:13:56

Lucca

Treetops05

I'd be angry too, and using your booking to get a discount without your knowledge? I'd avoid on a permanent basis.

Why why why would you be angry ??? (Not the discount thing)

and with you too Lucca.

Esspee Wed 13-Apr-22 23:11:40

Callistemon21

^Of course! Cruising is such a status thing. All the way up to luxury yachts. And they have gone oneup by booking earlier^.

Well, I never knew

Absolutely with you there Callistemon21.

Lucca Wed 13-Apr-22 22:45:31

Treetops05

I'd be angry too, and using your booking to get a discount without your knowledge? I'd avoid on a permanent basis.

Why why why would you be angry ??? (Not the discount thing)

Missiseff Wed 13-Apr-22 22:12:38

There's a war on. People are starving. Homeless. Can't afford a weekend away let alone many cruises. And you're upset about what exactly?? Perspective. ?

Treetops05 Wed 13-Apr-22 12:26:58

Lucca Wed 13-Apr-22 11:58:13

Rumpunch

You are right to be upset. This is a new ship and it is special to you. I would be annoyed too.
My Mum has a friend who has to do everything first- so much so, she never tells her what's she's doing until she's done it. Otherwise, she always manages to pip her at the post. Big or small. Visit to the postal museum or a holiday to Australia. She's there to do it first. Now my mum tells her she doesn't know where she's going as I'm taking her as a surprise !

It’s not special to them !! It’s a whopping great cruise ship open to anyone who wants to book.

Rumpunch Wed 13-Apr-22 11:42:30

You are right to be upset. This is a new ship and it is special to you. I would be annoyed too.
My Mum has a friend who has to do everything first- so much so, she never tells her what's she's doing until she's done it. Otherwise, she always manages to pip her at the post. Big or small. Visit to the postal museum or a holiday to Australia. She's there to do it first. Now my mum tells her she doesn't know where she's going as I'm taking her as a surprise !

H1954 Wed 13-Apr-22 07:08:46

Just avoid all contact with them in the time between their holiday and yours. Better still, just tell them that you don't want to know and prefer to reserve judgement for yourselves. Simple.

Missingmoominmama Tue 12-Apr-22 22:50:02

I think if your husband is really down about this, there’s a bigger problem lurking with his lack of resilience.

I’m not minimising his feelings; could you encourage him to talk to someone before it spoils other aspects of his life?

GoldenAge Tue 12-Apr-22 22:32:47

Yes, you're being totally unreasonable. You're responsible for your own actions and you don't have to listen to your friends telling you in advance, you can simply say they will spoil it for you and you don't want them to talk about it. They have a perfect right to go on the same cruise ship as you especially as they're keen cruisers, and they're not even going at the same time as you.

Madgran77 Tue 12-Apr-22 21:46:34

It just doesn't seem worth getting worked up about really!

Nanatoone Tue 12-Apr-22 21:40:27

I’m sorry but I hunk this is a little over the top. If you don’t want to advertise your plans then don’t. It’s hardly surprising if you tell people about a wonderful holiday and people think, wow I’d love to do that too. They may not have used your name to get a discount, simply saying I have friends going and how about a discount might have been enough. My friends ask for discounts and upgrades successfully every time. Have a wonderful time and forget any ideas of being miffed.

luluaugust Tue 12-Apr-22 20:09:25

Oh dear what happens if they have a truly awful experience. I do hope not.

Iam64 Tue 12-Apr-22 19:51:53

Honestly, I feel you’re over dramatising, your husband really is
Look at the serious stuff people around you are struggling with, count your blessings and stop ruminating

Gamernan Tue 12-Apr-22 19:25:34

Nothing to add except are you sailing from Portsmouth ? I’ve seen the Virgin cruise liner docked up as I live here , it’s visible from the motorway , can honestly say it’s magnificent as cruise ships go and I am enormously jealous ! Just drop a casual comment that you don’t want them to tell you anything as you don’t want to spoil your surprise but when you get back you can get together and compare notes. Have an amazing time

Bucklen Tue 12-Apr-22 19:05:02

True

Regina70 Tue 12-Apr-22 19:02:11

Well it is a shame that they went on and booked your dream holiday and will be enjoying it before you get to go, they are a bit cheeky. After 2 years of Covid it will still be an amazing adventure, as others said avoid them if you want to keep everything fresh or get them to share tips so your holidays is the best it can be. Your time together is precious, enjoy your holiday.

nexus63 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:56:49

when my son was young we tried each year to go to a holiday park, he ran out of school one day and it was mum mum whats the place we are going to, i told him and his friends mother said they would like to go, her son was lovely but the mum & dad were heavy drinkers and very loud, they booked it and we did not look forward to it, just a few days before we went my mil had a bad fall, holiday cancelled, we explained to the travel agent and they got us a holiday for later on in the summer at a different park, 2 weeks for the price of 1 and half board, it was the best holiday we ever had and my son still talks about it. i can understand how your husband feels, this holiday was exciting for you both and it does sound a bit like they are stealing your thunder by going first, maybe best to avoid them and if you can't just very nicely say, thanks but we don't want to know anything before we go.