Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rubbish….

(71 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 11-Apr-22 21:24:17

Have been away for a few weeks and have returned home to find my rubbish bin full to the top and overflowing with polystyrene wrapped in plastic out on the street waiting for the bin collection tomorrow. No neighbour has been round to ask if I’m ok with it. I currently have a zero waste policy so I’m proud of how little I put in my bin. I assume my neighbours keep an eye on my house when I’m away from home so I’m not going to complain but I am annoyed. I’m lucky in that I have nice neighbours. The last time I felt this irritated was when my next door neighbour ripped up the Californian poppies in m front garden because he said they were weeds. I must admit that, having scattered some of the seeds in my back garden I had to agree with him. In nearly fifty years of living in my street this has never happened before.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 08:14:54

MerylStreep

^I’m not touching other peoples rubbish^ ?
Thankfully not everyone thinks like you. I’m thinking of all the wonderful volunteers who clean up our beaches and roadsides.

Your going to have to touch it at some time if you want it moved.

I was our village litterpicker for 14 years. I remove any litter or anything dangerous from the beach when I walk the dog. I even carried some dog poo bags to the bin that had been left on the beach by the dogs owner. We make a point of picking up any glass that we find that could hurt a dogs paws (we find a lot of it). I think I’ve cleared up more litter than anyone else on this forum throughout the years. I even had to deal with a dead fox lying outside my place of work a few days ago. I’ve dealt with several cases of fly tipping ( I think one might have ended up with a prosecution). I guess I don’t feel comfortable with someone accessing my property when I’m away from home even if it is just the front garden. And I’ve never put my bin outside looking the way it does this morning. I find it embarrassing.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 08:15:47

Years not days….

M0nica Tue 12-Apr-22 10:42:32

MayBee70, Yes, I agree neighbours putting rubbish in your bin when it is on your property is not acceptable. Can you move it to a less available area of your garden and perhaps put a bit of wood on top of it with a note pinned to it saying ' For the use of 25 Acacia Avenue, ONLY. Any one else using it is trespassing on private property. Piece of wood and notice are removed when you put the bin out for collection.

JaneJudge Tue 12-Apr-22 10:49:44

Have they collected it now?

I'd have been upset too. It is completely out of order. How much effort does it take to put it in their boot and drive it to the tip?

It may not have been your neighbours though, it may have been delivery people but it seems too much of a coincidence that you were away

AGAA4 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:55:26

I would only complain if the bin men refuse to take it. It is annoying though.

Elizabeth27 Tue 12-Apr-22 11:13:39

It seems the main problem to you is embarrassment at having a full bin.

I doubt anyone else cares, I can only assume that you have a negative opinion of people with a full bin, rather odd.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 11:36:57

The bin men have taken it away but they did seem to be looking at the content so I went out and apologised. I know who did it….it was the only people in the street whose bin was also overflowing with similar stuff. I have to keep my bins at the front of my garden because if I put them down the side or near to the house they get covered in pigeon poo and I don’t like touching them or even walking up to them. Another neighbour who used to put my bins out for me said his shoes were covered in pigeon poo afterwards. I’d imagine my neighbours a bit embarrassed that we came home yesterday. They could at least have put upright a plant pot that had fallen over while they were filling my bin! When I lived alone sometimes one of my kids would let themselves into the house to pick something up while I was out and as soon as I walked into the house I’d know that someone had been in the house even though nothing had changed….it was that sort of feeling yesterday. I’ve only ever had one argument with a neighbour in nearly fifty years and that was because I’d attached something to what I assumed was my fence ( because we’d put the fence up) and they said it was theirs so I’m not planning to get nasty now! I hate unpleasantness. That’s why I needed to let off steam on here; gransnet is a good safety valve sometimes! I suppose that, after cleaning the village for 14 years (no longer do it) it annoyed me having rubbish dumped on my property. I guess I need to reevaluate my relationship with rubbish of all kinds. Perhaps I should start by no longer spouting rubbish!!

Tizliz Tue 12-Apr-22 11:37:16

It is an over full bin that is the problem.

Our bin men check and a neighbour got a notice for putting dirty containers in the recycling

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 11:45:01

Elizabeth27

It seems the main problem to you is embarrassment at having a full bin.

I doubt anyone else cares, I can only assume that you have a negative opinion of people with a full bin, rather odd.

I have a problem with the amount of stuff going into landfill; plastic polystyrene etc. stuff that will take hundreds of years to break down. Also, from what I’ve read on the internet, putting rubbish into someone else’s bin as a form of fly tipping and is actually illegal.I would never walk onto someone else’s property and avail myself of what is on it, I just think it’s rude. Can I ask you, would you personally go onto your neighbours property and fill their rubbish bin if they were away from home?

Chestnut Tue 12-Apr-22 11:57:21

There are people who drop their dog poo bags into the nearest bin as they walk by.

Chestnut Tue 12-Apr-22 12:00:54

There are people who do not have any sense of 'social etiquette' and do exactly what they want. We might think they're rude but they don't give a toss. So getting outraged is a waste of energy. As I keep telling my grandchildren there are all kinds of people in the world, good and bad.

Elizabeth27 Tue 12-Apr-22 12:01:21

These are your neighbours, not random strangers, you ask if I would do the same. Yes, if their bin was at the front of their house and they were away I would put my excess rubbish in their bin and would be fine if they did the same.

What else do you expect them to do with the polystyrene? It going to the same place whether from your bin or theirs.

You have said it has been collected now with no problems, even when you told them it wasn’t yours, time to get over it now and look for ways to put a padlock on your bin.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 12:35:35

Then all I can say is I’m glad you’re not my neighbour as your idea of social etiquette is not the same as mine. Maybe people should think more about what they buy and the amount of packaging it results in. If I do buy something packaged in polystyrene I try to reuse it in some way eg use it at the bottom of a plant pot. Save it to use if I sell something on eBay. Use it when making craft items with the grandchildren. Don’t just pass it on as someone else’s problem. Which involves dumping it in a hole in the ground leaving it for future generations to sort out.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:20:49

Postscript. Oh dear. I know I shouldn’t laugh but the dustmen haven’t emptied the bin belonging to the people who filled my bin. Which shows that they won’t take rubbish away from an overflowing bin. Divine retribution….karma….

Teacheranne Tue 12-Apr-22 13:22:37

Chestnut

There are people who drop their dog poo bags into the nearest bin as they walk by.

Yes, I have an issue with a phantom poo bag tipper! I regularly find poo bags in my garden waste bin and find the smell very offensive - the poo bags might be slightly scented but dog poo stinks after a few days! As my bin men do sometimes check the contents of the bins, I have to remove the plastic poo bags to my general waste bin as obviously the council do not want plastic in the green waste.

Then just yesterday as I was driving slowly up my road to turn on my drive, I spotted a young man walking his dog holding a full poo bag. As he got near my garden, he darted across the lawn and put the bag in my bin which is tucked down the side of my house. I opened my car window and shouted at him to removed the bag of s* or I’ll throw it at him! He was really shocked at my choice language and at being caught so did remove it, saying he lived quite a way off and did not want to carry the bag that far! I don’t know if he is the person who has done it before but if it was, then hopefully he won’t do it again.

I felt a lot better after shouting at him!

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:38:58

Good for you!

Chestnut Tue 12-Apr-22 17:26:58

Well done Teacheranne. I also spoke angrily to a woman I caught who I know has done it before and she just made stupid excuses as well. There is no excuse of course, your dog your poo. If you have to carry it a long way then tough! These people genuinely think it's okay to dump it in someone else's bin, just because it's a bin.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:59:22

Well done, Teacheranne!
Perhaps he'll think twice about doing anything like that in future.

Hetty58 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:20:18

My Ring doorbell captured a good, clear video of a neighbour putting their bag of rubbish in my bin. I really needed that space for my own stuff. I put theirs on their doorstep - and do hope their camera showed me doing it. Do I really have to buy a padlock for my bin?

Audi10 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:25:20

Oh my word chestnut she was diabolical bet you are glad she’s gone

Fennel Tue 12-Apr-22 19:09:12

One of the things that really upsets me is the way many people take for granted that "The Council" will arrange "workers" to come and clear up after me.
We have a team of workers (daren't say men) who regularly walk round with a sack and pick-up prongs to remove the mostly food and drink containers 'Hoyd doon on the groond".
If they come my way I always thank them. One of them once replied "Filthy Pigs".

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 20:52:13

In my litter picking days it was more cigarette packets, lolly sticks and, in the far end of the village car park, used condoms sad. I did find a pile of cannabis leaves once. My predecessor found a body so it could have been worse! It’s a thankless job. I hate seeing the plastic by the side of motorways and A roads. I should write a memoir Rubbish I have known and not loved’: my life as a village litter picker’.

Daisydaisydaisy Wed 13-Apr-22 12:28:53

I agree with Melanie61 smile

Buttonjugs Wed 13-Apr-22 12:39:47

Chestnut

This happened to me. I was furious and bought a sticker for the top of the bin, it hasn’t happened since.

Esspee Wed 13-Apr-22 13:10:40

I would not have got overexcited about it OP. I have great neighbours and we all help each other. It was unreasonable to fill your bin to overflowing and for not asking you but seriously there are more important things to concern yourself with, surely?