Gransnet forums

AIBU

A like button?

(204 Posts)
CoffeeFirst Wed 04-May-22 07:35:15

I’ve been thinking (yes again) just how good it would be to have a ‘Like’ button against posts?

Sorry just thinking out aloud ??

nadateturbe Wed 04-May-22 10:33:01

It would deter many of the less confident posters.

That's true too. And would apply to me as well.

Urmstongran Wed 04-May-22 10:35:48

Lucca ??

BlueSky Wed 04-May-22 10:41:30

I do occasionally just reply ‘Agree’ or ‘Exactly’ which I realise doesn’t add much to the conversation, so I could just as well put ‘Like’ smile or ‘Don’t like’ angry.

BlueSky Wed 04-May-22 11:19:41

And a correction button! blush

Vintagejazz Wed 04-May-22 11:34:19

I used to think it would be a good idea. However I have seen some ganging up on here (not much, but it's unpleasant when it happens) and think a like button would probably be abused by some posters.

nadateturbe Wed 04-May-22 12:22:30

An edit button would be useful. I know we can preview but it would still be useful.

Vintagejazz Wed 04-May-22 12:46:11

Yes I'd love an edit button. A time limited one that just allows you to correct any typos.

An ignore button would be good when a poster is really trying to aggravate you, or following you around the place to harass you. Might calm things down.

timetogo2016 Thu 05-May-22 10:02:08

And a panic button,with or without an ejector seat.

Farzanah Thu 05-May-22 10:05:53

It would be an awful idea, with people vying for “likes” and others feeling excluded. Why do we need constant back patting I wonder?

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 10:07:19

timetogo2016

And a panic button,with or without an ejector seat.

Oh yes. That would come in very handy!

Blossoming Thu 05-May-22 10:46:45

No, I wouldn’t like a ‘like’ button and a ‘dislike’ button would be even worse.

Vintagejazz Thu 05-May-22 10:53:18

They probably work better on larger forums where posters don't 'know' each other.

But on a smallish forum like this one where many of the same names appear on threads it could encourage cliquiness and popularity contests.

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 10:58:25

I don't see it as,any different than people agreeing with others in a sentence.
Unless a person is calling me a big fat pig and has lots of likes on that opinion, it makes no difference to me, because people disagree here regularly.

Mollygo Thu 05-May-22 11:01:37

I’d rather put it into words than have a like button. I’d love an edit button, but it would have to have a time limit, or posts could be edited to say something totally different.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:07:47

I’m still on the site Next Door.
It is actually really dreary and sad the way that hardly anyone leaves a comment.

They just leave a ‘reaction’, ie they click on a heart icon.

I’ve started a group on there specifically for chatting.

It’s a bit Orwellian, come to think of it; the simplification and erosion of thought and expression - either ? or ? ; smile or sad

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 11:11:01

I think the less confident posters would benefit from an agree/disagree button. They may not be confident enough to write something for fear of being torn down, but they can show their support for someone who has posted what they think. The bullies would be put in their place when the post has lots of green flags from those less confident posters.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:18:33

Chestnut I think quite the opposite.
I think that it’s the bullies and disreputables who would benefit from a like button.
They always manage to turn things to their advantage

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 11:44:10

But surely a green button would give those who are not confident a chance to show what they think without putting themselves on the line and being bullied.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 11:48:25

I think that solution in that situation is to get rid of the bullies.

If posters are so scared of bullies that they won’t even comment on here, it’s an extremely sad state of affairs sad

volver Thu 05-May-22 11:48:28

I think all the bullies should be reported to GNHQ and removed from the site.

That would show them.

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 11:55:55

Well someone contacted me privately to say how much they agreed with my post but were reluctant to put anything themselves, so it does happen. How many people feel like that I don't know because most of the time this is a hidden problem.

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 11:57:38

Someone like that would be happy to click on a 'like' button because it's anonymous. That's why I feel it would benefit those people.

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 12:00:15

I agree with chestnut.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-May-22 12:03:47

That has happened to me too Chestnut
It is a sad state of affairs isn’t it

BlueSky Thu 05-May-22 12:21:01

Agree Chestnut smile