Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think it's sad but normal that many friendships drift

(57 Posts)
Vintagejazz Thu 12-May-22 15:51:28

A friend was telling me this morning that her daughter is upset that her group of mum friends don't see each other much anymore. They met when they all had new babies about 6 years ago and were very close, but some of the women have returned to work and one has moved away. Apparently she's feeling a bit abandoned.

I sympathise but AIBU to think that some friendships are just of their time, and once you are no longer bound together by school, work, living on the same road etc many friends just grow apart, or life gets in the way and the friendship drifts.

Lifelong friends are the valuable exception really.

Vintagejazz Sun 15-May-22 10:32:12

I have 3 friendships going back to schooldays, two going back over 30 years one fromwhen we worked together the other a neighbour, and others going back 25 to 30 years who I also met through work or shared interests.

I have also lost touch with lots of people across the years - only one through a falling out, the others just drifted.

Yammy Sun 15-May-22 10:39:37

Two enduring ones, from school and college, I very rarely see them but we email a lot and phone. and Facetime.
Three others are all" email" friends now. One was a small post most days but that has dwindled.
New "Friends"have been made since we moved but non like the originals. DH is around all the time maybe that makes a difference.
I've found a lot cut me off when we moved after retirement and looking back were they friends?
We exchange Christmas cards with a bit of family news.

jocork Sun 15-May-22 13:22:01

I lost touch with some of the friends from the school gates etc as we moved away when my ex lost his job and we relocated. I did keep in touch with one though, even though she moved abroad for a while but is now back in the UK and we've met up twice when I've been in her neck of the woods though we live nearly 200 miles apart. I hope to move nearer before too long as part of my long term plans for my retirement and I know we will get together much more when we are nearer again. I think part of it was we always 'clicked', both being northerners living in the south! Moving back up north is to be nearer family but having one old friend who has already made the effort to keep in touch is a big bonus.

I've realised in recent years that saying to people each year in your Christmas cards 'Do drop in if you are passing' rarely results in visits so I'm making arrangements to visit people myself. People are often really pleased to stay in touch but if there is distance involved it takes effort. When I've done that I've had invitations to stay over or meet for meals etc so I know it is reciprocated.

mumski Sun 15-May-22 14:48:51

I'm making a decision about my friend of 45 years I met at college not to see her any more.
She has become so self centred, neurotic and beyond fussy even before Covid, I just can't be bothered to put up with her any more and I've really tired.
We went away last year together and she nearly drove me crazy with her anxiety, rudeness to staff and generally fussing and indecision.
I feel really guilty, but just had enough.

Purplepoppies Sun 15-May-22 16:48:15

I have two friendships dating back to nursery (our nursery, not our children) one from secondary and a 20 year old work friendship.
Unfortunately I no longer live nearby so we don't see each other much these days but do keep in touch.
I have acquaintances where I am now with the exception of one person who I see infrequently but we pick up where we left off, holiday together (well before covid we did).
Its very different making friends as an adult I think. Im grateful for the friendships I have.

luluaugust Sun 15-May-22 16:58:12

I have one friend from when I was 2 or so and three good friends who live within a short driving distance, otherwise it is acquaintances through groups I go to they don't come to the house. Sadly two other good friends have died.