Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV or not TV

(125 Posts)
paddyann54 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:28:26

My OH has decided he wants to put a TV on the wall in the sitting area of our kitchen.
I dont want it ,we've always had just one TV in the house because I dont like them around when we're eating or in bedrooms..our kids never felt deprived without one in their rooms .
He's not pleased that I dont want another TV ,I dont think we need one .there are only two of us here and we generally watch the same things or one of us will sit with a laptop while the other watches with input from the laptop user.
We have a large wallmounted smart TV in the living room why on earth do we need another?
Should I just give in and then find no conversation at meal times because we're glued to the screen? Am I being unreasonable ?

Franbern Wed 29-Jun-22 09:14:19

I am always bemused when people say they would NEVER have a tv in any particular room. Do they not realise that ALL of these machines actually have an OFF switch.

Having one in a room does not mean that it has to be on at any particular time.

Television audiances are falling dramatically. Probably only older people watch them on a regular basis these days. My children,(all around their 50 years old mark), all so much wanted one for their bedrooms when they were small. And all took theirs with them when they went away to Uni.

My g.children nearly all have one in their bedrooms, hardly ever turned on, and none have bothered to take those with them to Uni. Give it another thirty or forty years and tv's will start to become as obsolete as steam radio!!!

For me, (81 years old), and living alone, television is wonderful. My constant companion an entertainment. Although I admit to watching little live tv, but mostly through my recordings on Humax or Catch-up. I do have one in my bedroom (along with my older humax), and when I am unable to sleep at night - this comes into its own (listened to via wireless headphones).

I am so pleased that I never have to consult anyone else as to where I watch or what or when I watch tv - one of the great advantages of living by myself.

However, if I was in a partnership I would really resent my partner telling me in which room I could/could not have a tv or at what times I could/could not watch it.

Mollygo Wed 29-Jun-22 09:14:28

If you already talk at mealtimes a TV is unlikely to make a difference. For us it’s usually the news time and we certainly talk about that. If you don’t talk while you’re eating, a TV won’t make that much difference. Difficult problem though if one person is going to be unhappy with the outcome.

Aveline Wed 29-Jun-22 09:36:46

My DH always feels compelled to shout at the news! Just as well he has his own TV!

Nannagarra Wed 29-Jun-22 09:41:56

Knowing how you feel about tvs, your kitchen (understandably), chatting at meal times and overtly measuring the space, I think he’s winding you up. If he really wanted to view a screen while eating he could use an iPad, tablet or phone which he hasn’t done.
?
Alternatively you could buy a large houseplant or canvas to occupy the space then smile sweetly. Touché!

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:49:05

BUT the kitchen is my domain,my space ,I do all the cooking ,cleaning in it.He doesn't cook and has no interest .He has an office upstairs with loads of wallspace he could put it there.

The answer's no then!!
Suggest he locates it in his office.

75" ? what is it with men and big TVs, big cars etc?

Riverwalk Wed 29-Jun-22 09:55:13

I suppose it also depends on whether your husband is the type who has the TV on all day - that would drive me bonkers!

grannyrebel7 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:00:02

Is there something you want that he's not keen on paddyanne54? Perhaps you could do a bit of bargaining. After all marriage is all about compromise. Personally I wouldn't want a TV in the kitchen, but we've got one in the bedroom.

henetha Wed 29-Jun-22 10:00:31

Each to his own, everyone is different. But all I know is that when we eventually installed a second tv in the house, - in the kitchen actually, - some harmony was restored as I no longer had to sit through endless sport, war films, cowboy films, etc.
I could actually sit in the kitchen and watch what I wanted.
(this was years ago, when I was married and still had children at home).

nadateturbe Wed 29-Jun-22 11:01:12

I think one in the kitchen could be useful although I would probably only use it to watch Tipping Point on the rare occasions I make dinner.?.
OH doesn't want it, it's not that important.

I think people watch too much TV. It's nice when it's quiet and we just chat, and we're trying to do it more. (OH is a tv/radio4 junkie). Life isn't meant to be lived with continual background noise.

Penelopebee Wed 29-Jun-22 11:42:28

We have one in each living room. One never switched on. We hardly watch TV now. We don't find much to our taste. We do tend to binge watch an interesting series when we find one we like but the internet, reading material, hobbies are much more of a draw to us. Also I'm an avid radio four/extra listener and podcasts so that's what is on mostly x

Larsonsmum Wed 29-Jun-22 11:49:08

We have 6 TVs - but it doesn't mean we are glued to them 24/7, far from it. Just convenient to have in the various rooms.

Mirren Wed 29-Jun-22 11:50:02

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all .
We have 1 TV in one of put sitting rooms .
Hubby had a tantrum when he thought I had said we couldn't have a second in the dining room ( I didn't but he's deaf and misheard ) .
I let him because he was very upset and it is his home too .
We never even plugged it in .... it's gone now .
We are back to a single screen ( which I rarely watch)
TVs are a very mixed blessing, I think .

SparklyGrandma Wed 29-Jun-22 11:52:20

No, one is enough. And if your DH likes watching sports, you could end up with football in stereo. With a small delay just to make it more irritating!

Good luck deciding though cafe

Davida1968 Wed 29-Jun-22 11:53:43

No kitchen or dining room TV in our house
Never! Radio only.

Nannan2 Wed 29-Jun-22 11:54:09

He may just want one for him to go sit in there if youre already watching a programme in lounge that he has no interest in? Why don't you tell him you'll agree only if its switched off during meaĺ times? Back in the day a lot of folk got a portable (little square) tv for their kitchens i do remember.?

Nannan2 Wed 29-Jun-22 11:59:11

Well if he has an office/study room then tell him you are happy to let him put one in there instead.??

bevisp1 Wed 29-Jun-22 12:10:30

I was lucky enough to have my kids late 1980’s - early 1990’s, and probably just before all ‘rooms’ had a tv. Now there’s only 1 tv in the lounge, and 1 tucked away in wardrobe space in our bedroom. Which we have on when we are laying in at the weekend with a cup of tea. We do have mobile phones & IPads where we do tend to use a lot in the evenings & weekends.
I don’t think your being unreasonable, all the time you have managed with the 1 TV. I do realise it’s hard to stop using all these things, conversation does go amiss at times,

Spec1alk Wed 29-Jun-22 12:21:15

We’ve only ever had one tv, ( married for 52 years) in the sitting room. During lockdown I got tired of sport, mending cars and u tube of American cops so we bought a second tv to put in the snug. It is useful on the odd occasion that we want to watch different things. Perhaps this is how your husband feels?

Treetops05 Wed 29-Jun-22 12:22:28

I don’t think you are being unreasonable. My husband is a TV/noise addict, the TV goes on at 7.45am and off whenever he goes to bed, then he has a gadget that puts a radio speaker in his pillow. I couldn't cope with another in the house!

nadateturbe Wed 29-Jun-22 12:28:52

My OH is like that Treetops and often he listens on earphones.
I get so irritated when I talk to him and realise he can't hear me.
I'm afraid I couldn't listen to it all day. You're very tolerant. I would find it stressful.

Mamma7 Wed 29-Jun-22 12:35:40

We have one in sitting area of kitchen and it’s on most of day. Don’t use lounge until evening and husband insisted on big smart TV there ( but I’m in charge of the remote control!!) We both don’t like TV in bedroom and he hardly watches one in his study which is all geared up for sport.

Namsnanny Wed 29-Jun-22 12:36:21

Elizabeth27

There is no right or wrong, he wants one you don't, somebody is going to be unhappy, I guess it will be him.

Add to the above, you are already using 2 devices to view (laptop and tv) perhaps he just wants a bigger screen to watch independently from you.
I know I find the laptop inconvenient these days.

patchworksue Wed 29-Jun-22 12:40:48

We to have only one TV in lounge… that suits us both fine… and it’s only on in evening when we are sat down….

coastalgran Wed 29-Jun-22 12:42:50

Whenever I see AIBU generally the poster knows that they are.

Bellocchild Wed 29-Jun-22 12:43:15

Nothing at all wrong with a tv in every room -news channels keep us up-to-date. We have radios in every room too. What we don't have, because we are too mean to pay the extra rental, is Netflix in every room - just the living room. However, I do come from a long line of journalists, where listening to the news was of paramount importance.