Gransnet forums

AIBU

Murderous intent?

(133 Posts)
GrammyGrammy Wed 29-Jun-22 13:44:38

Am I overreacting or is this attempted murder? A diabetic obese woman in her 90th year brought three sacks of sugar treats per year. She gains half a stone each time and gets uti's. Its made her incontinent. No flowers just this stuff hidden around the house. Three one or two hour visits per year only. Previously this same one got their two other disabled siblings excluded from uncles will and groomed the 3 million for themselves. Is this sack of sugar attempted murder Of an elderly diabetic? Am I unreasonable for thinking it is exactly that?

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Jun-22 20:19:09

BlueBelle

Gosh if I get to 90 I ll probably drink ? by the bottle eat whatever I fancy and dance the light fandango
Anyone joining me ?

Yes!!

Not sure about the dancing though, I'll watch you!

Esmay Wed 29-Jun-22 20:21:26

In my experience : when the elderly aged 90 plus want sweet treats-they get them by hook or by crook .

My father ate at least four bags of crisps and four chocolate bars a day .

And if he didn't get them - he resorted to tempers , tears and tantrums and getting other people ( family ,friends and neighbours ) to get them .

This year ,he's had a very bad fall and is far from well .
For the first time , his appetite has decreased and he's losing weight .
The tempers ,tantrums and tears have increased , but his diabetic condition has improved enormously .

Witzend Thu 30-Jun-22 08:23:31

If she’s reached the age of 90 even with health problems, IMO she’s entitled to eat what the hell she likes.

I said much the same to the care home staff member* who told my mother (over 90 with dementia) that she ought to be choosing the brown bread sandwiches instead of the white.

*she was the only one, ever, who I didn’t take to. Def. in the wrong job.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-22 09:33:03

Callistemon21
BlueBelle
Gosh if I get to 90 I ll probably drink ? by the bottle eat whatever I fancy and dance the light fandango
Anyone joining me ?
Yes!!
Not sure about the dancing though, I'll watch you!

Oh, count me in! Though I’ll be smoking again as well by then (I gave up when I was 25 and still miss it). Can’t wait to show off my smoke ring blowing skills after 40 odd years.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-22 09:42:56

Sorry, I digress. If the story about the will change is true perhaps there is harm intended, but I doubt it’ll make a difference. A lady of that age with a sugar addiction is going to get hold of it anyway. DMIL lived on what my DD1 once described as a diet of pure sugar and lard and lived happily to 96. She wouldn’t have let anyone dictate to her about what she ate and none of us would have tried to.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:54:20

GagaJo

Oh I don't know. I had a 'friend' once who deliberately cooked her husband the fattiest, unhealthiest foods she could think of. She told me she was trying to give him a heart attack.

We're not friends anymore.

I've just read book where the wife overfed her greedy, much hated husband and he died. I think it was a Victoria Hislop book. An interesting idea!

Is this thread going to be the basis for a novel?

PaperMonster Thu 30-Jun-22 11:03:24

Well, it’s not the best thing to bring a diabetic but as one myself, I eat chocolate and it doesn’t affect my levels. Depends more what her day to day diet is like.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 11:49:43

PaperMonster

Well, it’s not the best thing to bring a diabetic but as one myself, I eat chocolate and it doesn’t affect my levels. Depends more what her day to day diet is like.

I don't know a lot about T1 diabetes but have a couple of friends with that condition and they carry sweets with them in case they need them.

This seems odd to me and the OP hasn't been back yet to comment.

nandad Thu 30-Jun-22 12:26:17

Alcohol is a poison, so anyone giving a bottle of wine to a friend is by definition a murderer!

ExDancer Thu 30-Jun-22 12:27:03

Where does the fact that there are 'no flowers' come into the equation?
Three 'sacks'(how big) of sugar-treats.
Is a sack an old single-use supermarket bag?
They must be quite small sacks if the amount shown is one sack full.
Spread over the year that's not a lot of sugar.
The will changing story is more worrying.
Is this a wind up?

Elrel Thu 30-Jun-22 15:05:30

Maybe a ‘sack’ is a paper bag as seen in US films

HowVeryDareYou Thu 30-Jun-22 15:08:29

I think at the age of 90, a person should eat and drink whatever the hell they like

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 15:41:05

I agree, so much so, that I'm making a start now. smile

HowVeryDareYou Thu 30-Jun-22 20:00:18

MissAdventure Me too grin

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 20:01:56

I'm starting with a red wine because it is full of anti-oxidants
(Whatever they are)

ExDancer Thu 30-Jun-22 21:31:26

So if you're right Elrel and a sack is a US grocery bag, three sacks per year is perfectly OK for a diabetic. My husband is diabetic and is not denied all treats for the rest of his life.
Type 1 or 2 doesn't matter, as long as they test and medicate or inject to keep their blood sugar under control they are fine.
Of course, if the 90 year old binges and eats the lot at one go ............. she'll be in serious do doos.

vissos Thu 30-Jun-22 21:53:51

But what's she going to eat tomorrow? ?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Jul-22 11:58:17

I think you are over-reacting, although I do understand your concern.

It is unwise and unkind to bring a diabetic a lot of sweet stuff or an alcoholic alcohol, and it is no excuse to say, "But she asked for it herself."

Doubtless she did, but that doesn't make it right to bring her things that are bad for her, and which I have no doubt her GP has forbidden her.

On the other hand, she is 90, and you have not said that she is of unsound mind, so surely she has the right to live the last years of her life as she wants?

I very much doubt that anyone could or should be accused of attempted murder on these grounds.

When you visit, bring her something that you know will do her no harm, and leave the rest of her visitors to make up their minds themselves what they do.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 12:57:29

If the person is capable of making an informed choice, then they can eat what they choose, regardless of anything or anyone else.

The key point is to ensure and prove that it is informed.

Sing19 Sat 02-Jul-22 11:16:56

OP if you are this lady's carer, just be aware you have photographed her property and published on social media which is unethical. If this is recognised you could loose your job. If you feel there is an issue, report it to your line manager.

Tiggersuki Sat 02-Jul-22 11:18:10

Not murder is it!!!! At 90 I guess you choose what you do and how you do it.

Damdee Sat 02-Jul-22 11:20:50

A strange post......unless you are a family member or an official carer, I'd be inclined to say that it is none of your business what someone else eats; whatever their age.

I remember my mother in her late 80s used to tick my father (early 90s) off for things he ate - but he lived to 93. Why shouldn't people eat what they like at that time of life? I'm going to stuff myself with cream cakes!

JdotJ Sat 02-Jul-22 11:21:57

All this thread has done is make us all crave chocolate! grin

Alioop Sat 02-Jul-22 11:24:26

Could she not tell the family member that she doesn't want all the sweet stuff brought to her house to tempt her? She accepts it and doesn't give it away to others, she keeps it all for herself.

lefthanded Sat 02-Jul-22 11:25:50

The lack of any reference, coupled with the fact that the OP has not responded to any of the comments leads me to think that we are being wound up here