Gransnet forums

AIBU

Murderous intent?

(133 Posts)
GrammyGrammy Wed 29-Jun-22 13:44:38

Am I overreacting or is this attempted murder? A diabetic obese woman in her 90th year brought three sacks of sugar treats per year. She gains half a stone each time and gets uti's. Its made her incontinent. No flowers just this stuff hidden around the house. Three one or two hour visits per year only. Previously this same one got their two other disabled siblings excluded from uncles will and groomed the 3 million for themselves. Is this sack of sugar attempted murder Of an elderly diabetic? Am I unreasonable for thinking it is exactly that?

Missingmoominmama Sun 03-Jul-22 07:18:02

It’s not a wise gift for a diabetic, is it really?

BlueBelle Sun 03-Jul-22 08:09:20

Who wants to be wise at 90 years old though ?

tictacnana Sun 03-Jul-22 09:31:24

My late overweight diabetic OH could be said to have committed suicide in the same way. I kept him to a healthy nutritious diet but he went out of his way to shovel as much sugar as he could into his body and refused to take his medication . All this was to let medical professionals understand that they didn’t know what they were doing ; he knew his own body. He died.

V3ra Sun 03-Jul-22 10:35:39

Many years ago I worked on an elderly care ward at our local hospital.
A lovely 93 year old lady was being "encouraged," against her will, to get out of bed and do some physio every week day.
All she wanted to do was sit in bed and eat yoghurt, which was precisely what the weekend nursing staff let her do.

As one of them said, "If you can't sit in bed and eat yoghurt at 93, when can you?"

Nanna58 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:48:41

Before she went into a care home in February at 96 my sister and I shopped for Mum for the half a dozen years after she could no longer come with us. She wanted cakes , biscuits sweets and pudding, even though she had medical problems that a better diet may have helped alleviate. We weren’t trying to murder her- 1: she was over ninety, so why not eat what she wanted , and 2: we wouldn’t take away her choice to decide what she would eat

Glorianny Sun 03-Jul-22 12:19:45

What I don't understand is the "she gains half a stone each time" who is monitoring this? Each time she eats a sack-full? But if they are secret how does anyone know. Anyway when I'm 90 be damned if anyone is getting to weigh me!!!

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 12:43:32

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 12:50:51

I've always said that should I win the lottery (that I don't do) I shall open up a care home where the people can do whatever the hell they want (unless it's really impossible, or illegal)

V3ra Sun 03-Jul-22 19:36:36

With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.

We spent more hours than I was happy about one holiday searching for the "perfect" red hat for my mother-in-law to wear to her ladies' group.
Never did find one that was acceptable ?

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:01:05

Oh V3ra! I remember wearing a red hat, red shoes and carrying smart red bag to a wedding in the Sixties, to go with a navy and red outfit. Then someone said to me "Oh! Red hat, no drawers" ?

V3ra Sun 03-Jul-22 20:05:28

Callistemon21 it was "all fur coat and no knickers" where I come from ?

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 20:08:20

Both phrases were acceptable around here. smile

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:11:35

Oh, thank goodness.
I never wore the hat again although it was very smart but wore the shoes a few times. DD2 found the handbag about 35 years later! and said "I love it, it's retro, can I have it?"

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:12:43

MissAdventure

Both phrases were acceptable around here. smile

Or not acceptable if you're on the receiving end
???

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 20:23:16

All mouth and gators for a man, I think it was.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:36:02

gators?

Alligators?

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 20:38:57

I dunno.
I always thought they were like bicycle clips?
Braces?
Maybe I've spelt it wrong?

Ali08 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:49:11

Yammy

Is this a spoof? A diabetic aged 90 being fed sugar and accusing the person of getting wills changed in their favour.
If it isn't I'll have what she's having if I can get to 90.

Can't be doing her any harm if she's still here, apart from the UTIs.
OP could buy them from her and get her flowers instead, although I doubt she'd find them as tasty!

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 20:50:37

If they were Cadbury roses she might. smile

ExDancer Sun 03-Jul-22 21:55:53

Still no explanation from the OP.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 22:16:26

My guess is that a sibling who does nothing to help, visited their mum and fetched her in a pile of sweets.
The op found them, and posted because she was angry.
I think I'm Hetty whatsername, here.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 22:40:49

MissAdventure

I dunno.
I always thought they were like bicycle clips?
Braces?
Maybe I've spelt it wrong?

Oh yes. Gaiters, I think
Keep your legs warm, with an elasticated bit that goes under your foot.

I am so old I remember wearing some when I was a small child! Winters were chilly then and tights hadn't been invented.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 22:50:48

Alligators would probably work, too. grin

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Jul-22 22:53:13

? ?

Grammaretto Sun 03-Jul-22 23:06:20

Next gransnet outing red hats should be obligatory!
I admire elderly eccentrics but haven't the courage to be one myself but then again maybe I am